Pontoon Jetty

limey

Visit site
Bacause of local (Foreign) planning restrictions , I have to build a jetty of a "temporary nature" that can fix to the concrete harbour wall but no piles into the saltwater canal bed.
This "temporary"jetty will be permanent taking tide and wind but no wave impact.
Any design ( or suppliers of floats) websites or books ?
I have looked on the Overtons site and now I am bereft of a idea .
I only want to build it once, without the trial and error phase. So any experiences / advice will be well recieved.

jeremyshaw

Visit site
There are various designs of floating pontoon which you can use. Polyethene blocks can be obtained which click together, or you can get alu sections. Then you just need a device to attach to the shore. This will partly depend on the max rise and fall.

ramarine.com is one provider of several in the UK. Sounds like you are abroad, but there are doubtless local providers you can googlefind.

limey

Visit site
Thanks for the leads.
If the jetty is a "finger" , and there is a side wind does a boat on each side act as a multiplying factor for the strain on the fixings to the concrete wall or act as a baffle ?
I cant make my mind up.
I guess if there was some sort of chain restraint underneath it ,it would be of limited effect due to the height of the tide.
The wind can blow mighty strong there , but is usually coming straight at the end pushing at the concrete wall rather than side on.

Sixpence

Visit site
The ones I've been on seem to lock together and have quite a high resistance to movement apart from up and down , but someone else may say different

Bajansailor

Visit site
Where do you intend to put this 'temporary' floating pontoon (?) jetty? And what sort of tidal range do you have there?
Could you perhaps post a photo of the area you have in mind?

I am wondering if you could perhaps have the end anchored, if you are not allowed to have piles, or is this a No-No as well?
Otherwise maybe you could have rope spring lines to the shore to resist bending moment where the pontoons are secured to the shore (?).

steve_l

Visit site
You may find this useful.
The company is in Finland but the diagrams etc are in English and show some examples of construction and anchoring...

-steve-

jeremyshaw

Visit site
Re winds on a finger jetty I think the more boats, the more windage and the more leverage you will have on the fixings. Even if the wind is only occasionally on the side, the rig needs to be good enough to take the peak load. So some kind of anchoring will be necessary (which sounds like it might be a problem with bottom rights) or a shore line from the boat, provided you have access rights to a decent tie-off point.

limey

Visit site
Just to let you all know I have seen and followed up your leads .
Will find a photo and or diagram (and will send asap ) to help visualisation of the mooring . Bear with me as my knowledge in making attachments is not good .