Pompous Boat Terminology and Boat Owners

Bouba

Visit site
Are we allowed to say "stinkboat"? I always find that remarkably accurate after one of our smelly cousins crosses our path at the end of a day under sail when we have been breathing the fresh salt air!
Have you ever been in a port when the sailboats start their engines ?....they definitely have a cloud of noxious fumes...and never mind how few of them have a holding tank and discharge sewage directly into the sea...which can make parking next to them so disgusting that it’s impossible to eat on deck

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Oh yes I do try and search for suitable recipients and yes derived from many years of use I ceased practicing long ago.
Sadly, I won't be seeing your pruritus causing posts any more. I've realised that there are those on here that may irritate me, but are of such value generally that they are worth the scratching and, well, there are those that, for me, are not.

RobbieW

Visit site
Boat, yacht, sailing yacht, motor yacht, MAB, AWB, and even tub, are all very acceptable to me.

Anything, anything, but sailboat! 🤢
(Americans can be excused, albeit grudgingly, on the grounds that they don't know any better.)

I generally refer to my 'boat', or if feeling whimsical might say my 'transport of delight' (or if battling with maintenance/repairs, various very rude words). If need be I tell people I have a 'yacht', but usually qualify it by saying 'small yacht' or saying that it's not as grand as yacht might sound, to avoid misunderstandings. I am content for people here to say I have a MAB (and I'll give as good in return).

For me, a yacht is a leisure boat (usually, but not necessarily, a sailing boat unless qualified as 'motor yacht') that has a deck and sleeping etc. accommodation aboard. Anything else is usually a dinghy or dayboat or open boat, etc.

Once one knows well all the correct nautical terms, and only then and when also doing so deliberately and knowingly, is it acceptable and amusing, in my book, to refer to e.g. the 'front' rather than bow, 'park' rather than berth the boat, etc. To use such incorrect terminology out of ignorance is to be pitied. To do so out of lack of care or laziness is to be abhorred.

So there you have it - the definitive answer. No further posts are required in this thread. 😁

Irish Rover

Visit site
Sadly, I won't be seeing your pruritus causing posts any more. I've realised that there are those on here that may irritate me, but are of such value generally that they are worth the scratching and, well, there are those that, for me, are not.
Good man yourself. You'll educate me yet. Pruritus, if you don't mind. Did some ignorant peasant accuse you of being pretentious? It's hardly an adequate word to describe your contribution. And still they gazed, and still the wonder grew :sleep:.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Good man yourself. You'll educate me yet. Pruritus, if you don't mind. Did some ignorant peasant accuse you of being pretentious? It's hardly an adequate word to describe your contribution. And still they gazed, and still the wonder grew :sleep:.
I hadn't even started to scratch his surface 😁 But clearly got under his skin.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
You do seem to have rather a chip on your shoulder about this - pruritus is simply (as many on here will know) the medical term for itching skin. I have relatives that suffer from this annoying condition, so have picked up the term - but good of you to mock anyway.

Another relative suffers from blepharitis - would you care to mock that as well?

I'm afraid I simply write using my own vocabulary - if it doesn't match yours, so what? If it affects you like jiggers, the ignore button is your friend.

If I see a word that I don't know, I look it up, understand its meaning, enjoy the richness of the language and, sometimes, that word stays in my vocabulary. As for your own education, it appears unlikely, as you seem to take a perverse pride in a limited lexicon.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I hadn't even started to scratch his surface 😁 But clearly got under his skin.
I can still see you - the ignore doesn't seem to take effect immediately.

Sadly not, however. I'm afraid that, for me, your contributions and any interchange between us simply aren't worth the time spent on them.

My skin remains unscratched and irritation free (well, from anyone on here).

I am starting to find the Irish Rover terribly boring and tedious. This cod peasant writing style and an obsession with words that I use as a matter of course that he either doesn't know or affects not to know - what am I supposed to do - check each post against the "database of English words for those of restricted vocabulary" before posting? It's just a pointless waste of time.

At least some of the others are entertaining in their attacks, have some good points, give one things to think about or allow one to research & hone one's arguments.

On the positive side, some of this wish to clear out the clutter comes about from spending some time in interesting and constructive conversations elsewhere and wanting to spend a bit more time on those and less on these.

And, you've got to admit, the thread on the other place where Webfeet started with crude abuse and you all piled in was not an attempt to debate or even just ridicule a point of view or argument, it was pure, unadulterated aggressive bullying - and you're all acting surprised at a reaction. Why on earth should I waste my time?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I can still see you - the ignore doesn't seem to take effect immediately.

Sadly not, however. I'm afraid that, for me, your contributions and any interchange between us simply aren't worth the time spent on them.

My skin remains unscratched and irritation free (well, from anyone on here).

I am starting to find the Irish Rover terribly boring and tedious. This cod peasant writing style and an obsession with words that I use as a matter of course that he either doesn't know or affects not to know - what am I supposed to do - check each post against the "database of English words for those of restricted vocabulary" before posting? It's just a pointless waste of time.

At least some of the others are entertaining in their attacks, have some good points, give one things to think about or allow one to research & hone one's arguments.

On the positive side, some of this wish to clear out the clutter comes about from spending some time in interesting and constructive conversations elsewhere and wanting to spend a bit more time on those and less on these.

And, you've got to admit, the thread on the other place where Webfeet started with crude abuse and you all piled in was not an attempt to debate or even just ridicule a point of view or argument, it was pure, unadulterated aggressive bullying - and you're all acting surprised at a reaction. Why on earth should I waste my time?
I am not in the least surprised and yes Webcrafts post was aggressive but in fact normal and par for the course for him and I don't defend him that's up to him if he wishes. As for my contribution given our exchanges on almond or soya milk, I forget which you must be very thin skinned not to be able to take a dig in the ribs now and again. However I care not although I was finding you interesting whilst disagreeing with your Orca views. Anyway the ignore function will sooth your itching and irritation a shame that you were unable to find any other remedy. Perhaps your lexicon doesn't go that far.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Only starting, yer honor. If I was a professor of words like your honor I wouldn’t give the likes of me the time of day.

Birdseye

Visit site
For using their own language? I'd suggest the issue lies with you for not being open to other cultures. It's sad that you feel a need to attack what you don't understand.
Its not their language - they speak a dialect of English every bit as much as what is spoken in India, Ireland or Scotland.