Pompous Boat Terminology and Boat Owners

onesea

Visit site
Own a “boat” however if calling on a radio I refer to it as “yacht” as it’s probably pertainent to the context of the call.

If I want to call friends when sailing, I am normally in phone range.

I hate been called captain, skipper I can deal with but captains are for ships or commercial vessels with paid crew.

I am a skipper, I guess although generally I avoid answering the question. People either assume I sail it myself or have a crew as the owner.

Bouba

Visit site
Own a “boat” however if calling on a radio I refer to it as “yacht” as it’s probably pertainent to the context of the call.

If I want to call friends when sailing, I am normally in phone range.

I hate been called captain, skipper I can deal with but captains are for ships or commercial vessels with paid crew.

I am a skipper, I guess although generally I avoid answering the question. People either assume I sail it myself or have a crew as the owner.
If as a yacht sailor you don’t want to be distinguished with a title....then who do I yell at when you do something stupid 🤷‍♂️🤔

Bouba

Visit site
Why, he was an acknowledged expert in his field. It was his modest self description.
You see this on quiz shows....a PhD in history....doesn’t know or appear to have any interest in any history...apart from potato farming in Welwyn Garden City during Medieval times, their doctoral dissertation

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Mine is a sailboat, unless some pretentious twat goes on to insist on knowing what kind of sailboat when I can tell them it's an Oyster (but just not a £2M+ one)...

That is a bit of an odd statement which is also oxymoronic. A person asks you a question about what type of sailboat you own, then you tell them it’s an Oyster, and that makes the questioner a “pretentious twat”. No wonder there is a lot of angst around nouns, it’s a minefield of confused personal opinions of what is acceptable.

No wonder there is a lot of angst around what to call yachts if this is typical of the logic applied.

(-;

Irish Rover

Visit site
Why, he was an acknowledged expert in his field. It was his modest self description.
There was a poster on another thread I started recently also claiming to be an expert and using his claimed expertise to justify reporting me to the Mods. I wonder what he calls his floaty thing?

Bouba

Visit site
There was a poster on another thread I started recently also claiming to be an expert and using his claimed expertise to justify reporting me to the Mods. I wonder what he calls his floaty thing?
This is a strange thread which I have followed with bemusement....you want to know what to call your boat...well the answer is simple...cat
There’s seldom a follow up question

Irish Rover

Visit site
This is a strange thread which I have followed with bemusement....you want to know what to call your boat...well the answer is simple...cat
There’s seldom a follow up question
I'm a simple lad. As I said at the outset, I either call it the boat, or the heap of shit, depending on how things are going. Thank the gods, it's mostly the boat.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

The question is how you define an EXPERT

splitting it up in EX sPERT

an EX is a has been

sPert is a drip umber pressure

There may be others

Sometimes I think I know everything, then I regain conscious

capnsensible

Visit site
That is a bit of an odd statement which is also oxymoronic. A person asks you a question about what type of sailboat you own, then you tell them it’s an Oyster, and that makes the questioner a “pretentious twat”. No wonder there is a lot of angst around nouns, it’s a minefield of confused personal opinions of what is acceptable.

No wonder there is a lot of angst around what to call yachts if this is typical of the logic applied.

(-;
I was delayed by several days on my first transit by yacht through the Panama Canal by an Oyster Yacht round the world rally.

Beat that for pretentious.... :cool:

benjenbav

Visit site
You see this on quiz shows....a PhD in history....doesn’t know or appear to have any interest in any history...apart from potato farming in Welwyn Garden City during Medieval times, their doctoral dissertation
I once asked my niece - a Cambridge theologian - what her doctoral thesis had been about. She said, “all I’ll say is it involved a 5th century German bishop and beyond that you don’t want to know…”