Pompous Boat Terminology and Boat Owners

johnalison

Visit site
This is a proper yacht.

View attachment 183182

Built in 1931 for Marjorie Merriweather Post as a private yacht.
Sea Cloud - Wikipedia

Anything with only one mast is not a yacht - just a boat. Anything with no mast is just a floating abomination.
HMY Mary in the 17thC had a single mast, so I think that your assertion will find few followers. My rubber dinghy doesn’t have a mast but whether it is an abomination or not I can’t say. It depends on my mood.

Lightwave395

Me in Cowes, the boat back in UK now at St Mawes
Visit site
Has your keel fallen off yet?

Round here, near where they build ye Oysters.

We have as titles for the helmsperson.
Mafi's
And
Wafi's.
Motor Assisted F********* idiot
Wind Assisted F******** idiot.
Fortunately still attached, it's a big strong bugger though and with a redesigned fin and bulb keel is completely stable (and fast - max in my ownership 18.4 knots downwind double handed (slightly puckering though I confess) :

Pre-blasting and re-epoxying during initial refit:

Keel1.jpg

with suitably strengthened floor and linked to new design mast foot:

Hull (10).jpg

Looks like this now, as it has for the past 17 years of my ownership come fair wind or gale, and as stiff as I wish I could be at my age...:

Boat keel.jpg

DownWest

Visit site
I sit corrected 😁

Glad you were sitting down for the shock:D
Passing the headmaster in our school (we got on OK) he said ' I have just been invited to the Headmasters Conference.' Me, does that mean I am attending a 'Public School'?
He...Yes

That is how it worked.

Edit..That was in reply to a much earlier post, things moved on quite a bit!!

Last edited:

Lightwave395

Me in Cowes, the boat back in UK now at St Mawes
Visit site
Pity that you found it necessary to change it in the first place though :cry: :unsure:
I didn't the previous owner did, back in the 90's I spent a while racing one of the competitive boats in the Solent fleet, Lightwave's had a habit of rolling downwind in a blow and needed constant tweaking which was fine with a crew of 8 or so, not so good solo or two handed.
This one is rock solid

B27

Visit site
I didn't the previous owner did, back in the 90's I spent a while racing one of the competitive boats in the Solent fleet, Lightwave's had a habit of rolling downwind in a blow and needed constant tweaking which was fine with a crew of 8 or so, not so good solo or two handed.
This one is rock solid
As I recall, they were originally built with pretty light keels, very fast downwind for their time.
They were a racing boat, built around the compromises of the racing rules of the day. would that have been IMS back then?
Also maybe influenced by American handicaps and practice?
Not all yacht racing is about bashing to windward in the Channel.