Pompous Boat Terminology and Boat Owners

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I call myself "deck monkey" when up top and "the boy" (after the engineers assistant in The Navy Lark) when tinkering with engines, heads and so on.

My far better half is "the Admiral".

dunedin

Visit site
Language is often about context and usage.

If somebody asks how I got there (as often happens on a remote island) I always say “on my boat

If somebody asks what type of boat, I would say a sailing yacht. But don’t think I would use the Y-word in any other circumstances.

Neeves

Visit site
Yes, but "mate" is inflected in Australia, it can mean best friend, random person I'm talking to or that you're about to lose your teeth!
Very true - but I'm more worried about losing on YBW than losing my teeth in Australia. My mother was really upset when someone greeted her 'how are you' - what right had he to ask such a personal question, or ask a question at all...?

I show I'm from the old country and greet people with ' Good Morning' in my best Glaswegian accent- I'm immediately identified as a pomme and treated with some humour. It gets complex as pommes are usually from south of the border - Scots sort of become instant 'mates'

Its complex.

Jonathan

Yacht is a bit ostentatious - boat is better.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
When I'm referring to my floaty thing when talking to other people she is referred to as my boat. When I am talking to her myself she is Babe. When other people are referring to her they usually use terminology like unsafe unseaworthy unstable over-priced irresponsible death trap. Only my insurance company refer to her as a yacht.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
On this note I have always been confused as to why, at football grounds, I used to sit in the stands or stand on the terraces.

BTW: on the boat, port is 'galley side' and starboard is 'chart side' but less so these days.

dunedin

Visit site
When I'm referring to my floaty thing when talking to other people she is referred to as my boat. When I am talking to her myself she is Babe. When other people are referring to her they usually use terminology like unsafe unseaworthy unstable over-priced irresponsible death trap. Only my insurance company refer to her as a yacht.
But of course no gentleman would consider one of these new fangled multi hulled beasts a "yacht"!
It should be an honest single hull - ideally wooden with varnished deck works. If must have mechanical appliances they should be steam.
Standards are slipping.

Irish Rover

Visit site
A house here in Türkiye is an "ev" and if it's a holiday home only used in the summer it's called a "yazlik" [yaz being summer]. However, if you want to inflate the price 25/30%, and sell it to a Brit or a Paddy you have to call it a villa.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have never referred to my floaty thing as anything other than a boat, except when things go wrong, and I refer to it as a heap of shit. Many owners of relatively small boats, especially ones with big poles in the center, refer to them as yachts. I have no great issue with that, if it's what pleases them. However, some of the other pompous nonsense gets on my wick. A guy on social media this morning referring to one of the cabins on his Leopard 39PC as "the Master Stateroom" is well up there.
I have never referred to my floaty thing as anything other than a boat
And that is a more mature description, is it? :rolleyes: :cry:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Who on the forum are members of a Yacht club or as sailing club or even a boat club

Or do you keep your floating thing in a marina or a mooring or a walk-on mooring/finger

It all just different words for the same thing

I have a signs on my boat

1) I am the captain of this ship, and I have my wife's permission to say so

2) Boats come in 3 dimensions length width and debt

Daydream believer

Visit site
Who on the forum are members of a Yacht club or as sailing club or even a boat club

Or do you keep your floating thing in a marina or a mooring or a walk-on mooring/finger
I am a member of a sailing club, but I keep my YACHT (I stopped calling such things a "floating thing" when I stopped being a child, circa 65 years ago) in a marina berth. My launch is stored on a launching trailer, in the sailing club. The moorings for my Squib & my launch are right next to the sailing club start line (Well they would be-- I get to lay them !!)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Ah but does your sailing club accept visiting yachtsmen? ;)
Dinghy open meetings are a major part of our operations & subsidise our income. We are not organised for visiting cruisers, as we do not have available moorings. All the moorings are privately leased from the Fairway Committee & are nothing to do with the sailing club. There is nowhere close for cruisers to anchor, that one might recommend, without the risk of snagging, due to years of lost tackle & other items that litter the seabed. That being said, The gaffers seem to find spots, when they attend our club for their open meeting here.
Sometimes village residents are invited into the club for social events.

shan

Visit site
Very true - but I'm more worried about losing on YBW than losing my teeth in Australia. My mother was really upset when someone greeted her 'how are you' - what right had he to ask such a personal question, or ask a question at all...?

I show I'm from the old country and greet people with ' Good Morning' in my best Glaswegian accent- I'm immediately identified as a pomme and treated with some humour. It gets complex as pommes are usually from south of the border - Scots sort of become instant 'mates'

Its complex.

Jonathan

Yacht is a bit ostentatious - boat is better.
I like her.