Pompous Boat Terminology and Boat Owners

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yep, the same correspondent recently called me pretentious for simply using, er, English words that I'd picked up here & there.

Does anyone remember the TV programme The Good Old Days? The chairman had a repeating joke of introducing every act with the most flowery range of words possible, which I thought was great fun.

Personally I tend to use,

Boat = smallish floaty thing
Ship = biggish floaty thing
Yacht = floaty thing with stick
Motor = boat without stick

I'm not a fan of "motor yacht", but, hey, who cares. I do appreciate folks that can accurately distinguish between a "phantom rigged crunge staysail bowsprit cutter with knock knees and splayed fantails" and an "empire rigged postillion sloop with canoe stern, kayak bow and flange mounted inner bowed spleens".

And, with that enigmatic exposition of erudition, I'm off!
You forgot Bow = pointy end

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yep, the same correspondent recently called me pretentious for simply using, er, English words that I'd picked up here & there.
Thanks, boss. You're so kind, but sure I suppose you know I'm really not a correspondent, I'm just a bloke posting on the Internet.
And, with that enigmatic exposition of erudition, I'm off!
I hope it's not too painful. Get well soon.

benjenbav

Visit site
I’m keen on using the correct terms for things; boaty or otherwise. These usually save time and explanation. But when one party doesn’t understand them they do, admittedly, have the opposite effect.

My wife, on the other hand, refers to every type of fastening as a nail. Sometimes I wonder if she does it to irritate or because she enjoys my presentation on the merits of different types of fastener for various purposes, including sections on head types, threads and basic metallurgy.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I’m keen on using the correct terms. These usually save time and explanation. But when one party doesn’t understand them they do, admittedly,
have the opposite effect.

My wife, on the other hand, refers to every type of fastening as a nail. Sometimes I wonder if she does it to irritate or because she enjoys my presentation on the merits of different types of fastener for various purposes, including sections on head types, threads and basic metallurgy.
My wife alternates between the wrong word for a yachty thing or the words "thingy" "whatsit" etc.

Similarly all fastenings are "screws".

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
40 years ago I turned up on the first day of my job as a quality assurance manager in my Range Rover, my boss was a pompous ass and as he only had a basic Grenada told me not to come in it again my response didn't endear me to him and when he found out that I had a yacht he found it difficult to speak to me about anything other than work. I didn't end up working for him for very long transferring into production management very quickly.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
As you probably know a public school in the UK ( even in Scotland) is a private one others are referred to in various ways but commonly known as state schools.

In Scotland they are described as private and not public. This has always been the case as far as I have been aware and noted when I sent my kids to a private school in Scotland.

Public school (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia.

I think the term independent school is now more common in Scotland, and maybe England as well.

dunedin

Visit site
As you probably know a public school in the UK ( even in Scotland) is a private one others are referred to in various ways but commonly known as state schools.
As run aground says, not the case in the civilised North.
And clearly the term "public school" is wrong as it is the opposite of the literal meaning. But perhaps the English teaching standards are better here. 😀

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
As run aground says, not the case in the civilised North.
And clearly the term "public school" is wrong as it is the opposite of the literal meaning. But perhaps the English teaching standards are better here. 😀
Well it's been the case since the 18th century at least in the South.