Polisher recommendations please

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
The platform only helps for the topsides of course which is about 1/3 of the boat.
Yes it does so sitting/kneeling down doing the topsides makes weight even more insignificant. Hang on dont tell me the other 2/3rds of your boat are vertical and can only be done standing up!
Sorry for pi**ing in your playground mate!
The OP asks for recommendations, I post a simple link for a model and you have to have the last word on everything ?
To the OP go out and buy a Rupes. Elessar is a know it all he cant be wrong. Dewalt are c**p and nobody uses them because they are just soo heavy ?
Now where was that ignore option I spotted.......

Last edited:
Reactions: MrB

Elessar

Visit site
Yes it does so sitting/kneeling down doing the topsides makes weight even more insignificant. Hang on dont tell me the other 2/3rds of your boat are vertical and can only be done standing up!
Sorry for pi**ing in your playground mate!
The OP asks for recommendations, I post a simple link for a model and you have to have the last word on everything ?
To the OP go out and buy a Rupes. Elessar is a know it all he cant be wrong. Dewalt are c**p and nobody uses them because they are just soo heavy ?
Now where was that ignore option I spotted.......
A compelling and articulate argument to complement your athleticism.

Andrew M

Visit site
I can give a thumbs up for my Chicago Pneumatic CP8210. Had it for some 10 years now and it's not missed a beat, 2.1kg, nicely weighted , variable speed and dead easy to use. It's possible they don't sell it under the CP brand anymore but I'm certain it's sold under licence by another brand, should be easy enough to find who by it's shape and spec if it's of interest.

CP8210 CP Chicago Pneumatic

Edit : Looks like the other brand is the Milwauke AP 12 E
1200W Milwaukee Polisher Buffer with Electronic Variable Speed | AP 12 E | Milwaukee Tools UK

Last edited:

MrB

Visit site
I can give a thumbs up for my Chicago Pneumatic CP8210. Had it for some 10 years now and it's not missed a beat, 2.1kg, nicely weighted , variable speed and dead easy to use. It's possible they don't sell it under the CP brand anymore but I'm certain it's sold under licence by another brand, should be easy enough to find who by it's shape and spec if it's of interest.

CP8210 CP Chicago Pneumatic

Is this it? CP8210 v2 150mm (6") Sander & Polisher Chicago Pneumatic That's odd, I couldn't see the link in your thread?

Big-Bang1

Visit site
I've had a sealey rotary for 5 years, it's light enough and easily controlled. The variable speed is on a rotary switch so set and forget. It's had a hard life to say the least but still works fine and I'm hoping it will for years to come. I don't think I've ever seen a professional using a DA polishing machine, I'm not saying they don't - just that I've never seen it.

Easticks28

Visit site

Whopper

Visit site
I have a Vertool forced dual action machine that is basically an imitation of the Flex Xc-3401 but for half the price. It’s decent machine and lot nice to use than a variable speed angle grinder both In it’s weight and how balanced it feels.

Firefly625

Visit site
I'm a rotary polisher user... I've always bought Sealey for our valeters in my business, light weight and super reliable and robust and cheap!

I have four in my workshop at home of various ages. Newer ones a little noisier than the older ones... I guess they are more powerful. In my view a polisher needs a trigger, needs variable speed and not too bulky.. that's it. I do feel a lot of folk get hooked up on what polisher is "the best"... you do know its the products, pads and user that really make the difference... someone unable to weald a £60 polisher is not going to magically be able to use a £300 one any better....!

In my view one of these is absolutely fine;

Sealey ER1700P Polisher 150mm 800W/230V Lightweight

But what I was actually going to post was slightly off topic. This is NOT a recommendation for a full boat polisher, but something I bought as I have been away on the boat for a few weeks and wanted to do a few cosmetic gelcoat repairs while I was away so having got a couple of these at work and seen how handy they are I got myself one;

Sealey CP1205KIT 12V Cordless Polisher Kit-2 Batteries: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

what a super bit of kit to have on a boat (especially if a tad OCD), great for compounding down small gelcoat repairs, small and easy to use, good for those fiddly bits as so small...batteries last quite well all things considered and as there are two easy to go from one to another..

rafiki_

Visit site
I‘ve had a Silverline for about 10 years. It is heavy, and does tire me eventually, particularly when I am polishing above my head. As others have said, the finish achieved is more about the mops and compound than the tool. I was rubbish at compounding when I first started, but after 10 years or so, can make a reasonable job of the boat. I have also found that the compound is more important than the wax for getting the best finish.

SeaAndSea

Visit site
I‘ve had a Silverline for about 10 years. It is heavy, and does tire me eventually, particularly when I am polishing above my head. As others have said, the finish achieved is more about the mops and compound than the tool. I was rubbish at compounding when I first started, but after 10 years or so, can make a reasonable job of the boat. I have also found that the compound is more important than the wax for getting the best finish.
What recommendation do you have for compound and wax/sealer please??

Elessar

Visit site
What recommendation do you have for compound and wax/sealer please??
This year I’ve used the 3m in the purple bottle.
Diluted 50 - 70% with water and put on with a wide paintbrush.
When dry (doesn’t take long) taken off with the lambs wool circle thing in the polisher.
Then meguiars paste wax applied and taken off by hand.
Quickest and easiest yet.