Poling out

G

I have a Jeanneau Fantasia 27. Can anybody tell me

1. What size pole I need to pole out my genoa in light airs?
2. Can you sell me one?

Thanks

Geoff

Lynette

Visit site
A genoa whisker is normally a bit longer than a spinnaker pole. The usual rule is to measure the distance between the bottom of the forestay and the base of the mast, and add 25%. Some say add 50% for a big genoa or cruising chute.

ccscott49

Visit site
They call that the "J" measurement, I think, plus your 25-50% sounds about right, mine to be honest are the J measurement plus 10%. Which was more by accident, I just made them that length, because it looked right and the douglas fir I bought was that length!!

bedouin

Visit site
If you're only going to use it for the genoa then you should consider getting a telescopic one - that gives you a range of lengths. Compass24 would be delighted to sell you one for about £200!

pugwash

Visit site
Can we be more exact?

I was about to buy a whisker pole the length of J but now I see recomendations of J plus 10 percent, 25 percent and even 50. I have a stolid little Holman ketch with a genoa that comes about five feet abaft the main spreaders. How can I work out the length of whisker I need more exactly?

Also, when using a telescopic pole is it easy to stop it collapsing at a critical moment while at the same time being able to collapse it when you want to?

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Can we be more exact?

Know absolutely naff all about the correct length, but I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum who would know. I did mine purely by the "if it looks right it probaly is" engineers eye. I think the telescopic poles lock positively, so don't collapse.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

I use my spinnaker pole that is "J" length. Although a little short for a big overlapping genoa there are few times when the sail cannot handle it. When it does become unstable I put a few turns in the furler.

bedouin

Visit site

No we can't be more exact - it does depend on the cut of your jib :) The principle should be to get as much projected area as possible - so I guess the optimum pole length is probably a little shorter than the LP of the genoa.

That's the beauty of a telescopic pole - it gives more flexibility, and allows you to use it with a range of genoae - or with a few rolls. Don't worry about the pole collapsing - there is not much force on it, and even if it did (which it won't) it wouldn't matter.

G

I bought a boat last season that came with a Kemp telescopic pole and have yet to use it. I was happily anticipating using it at it's shortest as a spinnaker pole and extending it to pole out the genoa. Will it be strong enough for use with the spinnaker?

Cheers,

David

jamesjermain

Visit site
Important Addendum

Does your pole have the facility to rig a topping lift and down haul. If not you will find the spinnaker impossible to control, set or recover safely properly

JJ

G

Re: Important Addendum

Yes, 2 metal loops at the centre of section from which the telescopic part of the pole extends. Presumably this allows you to do end to end gybes assuming that there is no particular end of the pole that should be at the mast/luff.

D

AndrewB

Visit site
A pole uphaul and downhaul ...

... are really also worth having when poling out a genoa. Specially on a larger boat. They help with the management of the pole, and hold the genoa firmly in position.