Polars for a UFO 34 ?

DFL1010

Visit site
I'd say that with old boats (especially, but also true with new ones), it's better off going out and playing, and making your own will be better than taking someone else's.
Circa 1973 polars won't account for changes in rig and sail tech, and they will be based off the weight of the boat then, which may well be different.

There's a few apps out there, but I'd imagine quality of data is proportional to cost.

The other option is to get in contact with these chaps and look at the polars they calculated for other boats (although be sure to look at their sail areas, type of kites carried etc).

If you use others' polars, make sure your instruments are calibrated as well as you can (or can afford), otherwise you won't be getting good TWS/BSP data with which to compare to the polars.

Woodlouse

Visit site
I'd say that with old boats (especially, but also true with new ones), it's better off going out and playing, and making your own will be better than taking someone else's.
Circa 1973 polars won't account for changes in rig and sail tech, and they will be based off the weight of the boat then, which may well be different.

There's a few apps out there, but I'd imagine quality of data is proportional to cost.

The other option is to get in contact with these chaps and look at the polars they calculated for other boats (although be sure to look at their sail areas, type of kites carried etc).

If you use others' polars, make sure your instruments are calibrated as well as you can (or can afford), otherwise you won't be getting good TWS/BSP data with which to compare to the polars.

Problem with making your own polars is that you are limited to your ability and your equipment. So you can be sailing along at 100% but not realising you're not fulfilling the hulls true potential by not trimming the jib perfectly or by having a knackered main or a slightly grubby bottom.

Best to find a set produced by a VPP, which shouldn't be too hard for a popular class.

sailorman

Visit site
Problem with making your own polars is that you are limited to your ability and your equipment. So you can be sailing along at 100% but not realising you're not fulfilling the hulls true potential by not trimming the jib perfectly or by having a knackered main or a slightly grubby bottom.

Best to find a set produced by a VPP, which shouldn't be too hard for a popular class.
Boo has carried out extensive an extensive re-fit & mods, extra tankage in the stern, so Polars will be way out

Boo2

Visit site

What's a VPP ?

Boo has carried out extensive an extensive re-fit & mods, extra tankage in the stern, so Polars will be way out
Yes, but the extra tankage in the stern is offset by a reduced engine weight so I think it balances out.

Thanks to all for their replies.

Boo2

Woodlouse

Visit site
What's a VPP ?

Yes, but the extra tankage in the stern is offset by a reduced engine weight so I think it balances out.

Thanks to all for their replies.

Boo2
A VPP is a velocity prediction programme that takes all of a vessels particulars and using white man magic produces a set of polars for a range of wind speeds and angles.

Extensive mods will throw the polars out a bit but provided the boat is sat near it's designed waterline they shouldn't be too far out and probably still better than a home made set that take forever to complete and are prone to no end of human based errors.