Pointy-back bows ?

Boo2

Visit site
Why ? I am referring to those bows that are over-plumb so to speak where it angles back instead of forward. Must be a reason for it... ?

Boo2

sarabande

Visit site
they give you extended waterline length, fine entry into big seas, without the drawbacks of high polar inertia.

flaming

Visit site
They also make digging the bow into the wave in front when going fast with the kite up less of an issue.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I think a common name for the shape is Dreadnaught.
Saw a youtube vid from a cat designer who talked about it lowering the hydrodynamic drag caused by the water that climbs up the stem before dispersing.
Not an issue if you lift the bow out of the water scow style.

Woodlouse

Visit site
For multihulls they are used to increase buoyancy in the bows to lessen the chance of pitch poling.

I think the benefits are less for a monohull. I remember reading one of the designers of the VO65's saying it was more for style rather than practical benefit on those boats.

markhomer

Visit site
What goes round comes round ! , they aint called dreadnaught bows for nothing :),

What next , sails on supertankers ;)

Return of the gaff rig , seen modern square tops ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What next , sails on supertankers ;)

sails_cargo_ship_jamda_shin_aitoku_wind_energy_research.jpg

Norman_E

Visit site

That is more appropriate to this thread than you might think. The first of the sail assisted freighters built by in Japan was 26,000 DWT bulk carrier called Usuki Pioneer. The 1983 designed ship was also the first ship built with a long thin bulbous bow, as opposed to the fat bulb designs that had been in use for many years.