Plymouth to Salcombe on Sunday 5th July

lumphammer

Visit site
We're planning on going to Salcombe tomorrow (5th July) It will be low water springs at 1510 with a F4/5 S in the morning veering to W in afternoon. Plan A would be leaving 8-9am to get the East going tide, but entering the harbour against the ebb. Plan B is leaving just after mid day, it will be against the tide on passage but entering harbour on the flood. With the wind behind us I'm reckoning on a passage time of 4 hours.

so, plan A or plan B?

Moonbeam

Visit site
Plan B, but aim to leave a little later than you suggest. I'd plan to be rounding Bolt Head at approx 1800 when the west going tide has slacked off and you can enter Salcombe at just after half flood.

yoda

Visit site
Plan B, going in to an unfamiliar harbour (i assume) on a falling tide would not be a good idea, especially Salcombe with a southerly wind against an ebb tide over the bar.

Yoda

lw395

Visit site
You probably don't want to enter Salcombe against a full ebb with a F5 southerly.
Leave so you'll be there a bit before slack, say 2pm onwards.
If it's still F5 south when you get there, wait for slack?

E39mad

Visit site
I did Plymouth to Salcombe last Tuesday (30 June) assisting deliver a Vancouver 34 to Itchenor.

We left QAB at 14.30 and once clear of the breakwater had a strong easterly - up to 25 knots so took a while to get there against the tide on the nose - tied up to a mooring above the town at 20.00. We went in on a rising tide and out the following morning on the ebb but there was no wind initially on the leg to Portland.