Plymouth to Salcombe on Sunday 5th July

lumphammer

Active member
Joined
21 Aug 2003
Messages
456
Location
Chichester
Visit site
We're planning on going to Salcombe tomorrow (5th July) It will be low water springs at 1510 with a F4/5 S in the morning veering to W in afternoon. Plan A would be leaving 8-9am to get the East going tide, but entering the harbour against the ebb. Plan B is leaving just after mid day, it will be against the tide on passage but entering harbour on the flood. With the wind behind us I'm reckoning on a passage time of 4 hours.

so, plan A or plan B?
 

Moonbeam

Active member
Joined
15 Mar 2010
Messages
515
Location
South Devon
Visit site
Plan B, but aim to leave a little later than you suggest. I'd plan to be rounding Bolt Head at approx 1800 when the west going tide has slacked off and you can enter Salcombe at just after half flood.
 

yoda

Well-known member
Joined
12 Dec 2001
Messages
2,458
Location
Tamar river, Devon
Visit site
Plan B, going in to an unfamiliar harbour (i assume) on a falling tide would not be a good idea, especially Salcombe with a southerly wind against an ebb tide over the bar.

Yoda
 

lw395

Well-known member
Joined
16 May 2007
Messages
41,951
Visit site
You probably don't want to enter Salcombe against a full ebb with a F5 southerly.
Leave so you'll be there a bit before slack, say 2pm onwards.
If it's still F5 south when you get there, wait for slack?
 

E39mad

Well-known member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
2,397
Location
Nr Macclesfield
Visit site
I did Plymouth to Salcombe last Tuesday (30 June) assisting deliver a Vancouver 34 to Itchenor.

We left QAB at 14.30 and once clear of the breakwater had a strong easterly - up to 25 knots so took a while to get there against the tide on the nose - tied up to a mooring above the town at 20.00. We went in on a rising tide and out the following morning on the ebb but there was no wind initially on the leg to Portland.
 
Top