Please, not the blackball !!

Mfc1955

Visit site
As a late starter to boating and definite novice, have found myself applying for local yacht club membership. Subsequently attended, resplendent in suit for interview by membership panel. Strange feeling as a 47 year old to feel very nervous at this interview, possibly as this is very much a 'yacht' club and I've just bought a 'stinkboat.'
Anyway, the panel, two males and one female, were very nice and no difficult questions, ( quote colregs or light sequence for nearest lighthouse etc.!!!! phew) However having breathed a huge sigh of relief at the end of interview I was then told that they will make a recommendation to the Executive Panel, and that in the meantime my name would be posted in the club for comments of members !!!!!!
Hence the nerves are back, hopefully the 'blackballs' are away for the winter and I can last out the next couple of weeks !!!!
Incidentally its a very nice club and members will be an excellent learning resource for me, but is all boating this difficult ??? Reassurance please ?

oldgit

Visit site
It would appear that I have got to you first so welcome to the forum.You have already met the first hurdle to being a true boaty ie. What the hell have I let myself in for.Welcome aboard.
Ps Please ignore this and any other advice given on this board.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well the only club I ever joined was at the local reservoir with the sailing dinghy. Only interview was. "Who's lighting the stove. Stink pots dont really need club houses cos well you cant race them. so theres not much to "club" about.
Nice as though they are. I'm not knocking them.

No theres nothing difficult about boating. But a course or two will help. Rather depends where you are and the boat you have. Please let us know. Oh and by the way welcome to the mad house.

Haydn

oldgit

Visit site
Re: blackballs an bye the way

In order to understand this forum you need to be aware than all of the posts between 20.00 hrs and 03.00 are posted under the influenza of alcohol and all others will be grovelling saying sorry type/back pedal when actual post is reread in morning by guilty party.

BarryH

Visit site
Been there, done that, now i just enjoy the boat and the people you meet along the way. I find the best part of the experience is achieving the little goals you set yourself.

Boating side of it, well we never stop learning, best to go look at a few courses ask the reprobates on the forum, but what ever you do, don't expect a straight answer

Good Luck BarryH

G

Strange way for any club to carry on , the more members a club has the better for the club !!.
It's getting on the water that counts and not posh noises and blazers .
Good luck to you or any one that wants to get on the water but as for being interveiwed to join a club !!!.
My opinion Of course old chap ,wot wot.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
looking for an ex trawler if you see one !!

byron

RIP
Visit site
You are obviously joining a decent club and quite rightly they are taking a look at you first. They like what they saw and you are now 'in' barring something ghastly known about you by someone who sees your name on the board.
You will soon realise that this system has a lot of merit and the club isn't filled with Yobbos pissed out of their heads who have no interest in boating.

ô¿ô

Bergman

Visit site
I once went to join a Yacht Club

Drove miles to a God forsaken dead end spot with a wet, muddy unlit car park surrounding a wooden scout hut.

Went inside to find group of people sat in a circle opposite a bar selling only soft drinks.

I asked about joining and was told I must come along a few times to "see if we like the look of you"

I then asked what would happen if I didn't like the look of them.

It went very quiet

Don't think I missed much

KevB

Visit site
Seems a lot of gaff to me, what club is it? They don't use a white ensign do they? I joined my marinas yacht club last year and all that was required was to be recommended by two current members and have your details put up on the club notice board for a couple of weeks.
Not sure I would want to be a member of a club that treats new members like that, bit stuffy if you ask me and up their own ar$eh**es. IMHO.

tcm

Visit site
Re: forum entrance exam

hum, no , not thought of one.

Mind you, whenever i'm interviewing anyone, I always home in on the ones who quote ridiculous hobbies, and quiz them to see if the just wrote it down, or if it is indeed a hobby.

Most fun of all are those mention in their CV or letter that they have a good sense of humour. Once, I got soem others to hold up cards with 5.5 and 4.8 and such outside the window i nthe corridor. I invariably ask for them to tell a joke. Perhaps I should consider testing their sense of humour further with woopee cushions or by telling them that they've come on the wrong day.

G

Re: forum entrance exam

The score cards are great ,did that in Holland at a bar in Utrecht .What a scream I even had a special card you know the judges decision is final .So as the young ladies walked by up would go the cards oh laugh I tell you .Any way one fella looked at the score we gave his girlfriend then looked her up and down and started up and down with his hands more more ,he really looked in trouble at this point she was not impressed .So I gave him the card ,you know THE FINGER
HHHHAAAAAAAAAAA off she stormed him in pursuit we all fell about crippled with the giggles .
They came back !! yes they did ,and I thought here we go but instead he brought a large round of drinks and they joined in the scoring .Bluddy bar ran out of beer by 2.am but wow what a scream .
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
looking for an ex trawler if you see one !!