Planning a trip to the Whitsundays - should I avoid Feb/March?

wonkywinch

Visit site
Looking at booking a charter in the Whitsundays end of next month, last week of Feb and first week of March. Anyone with experience of local weather conditions could tell me if this is a daft idea, high risk of cyclones? A friend just sent us pics from their trip to Hamilton Island this week and the weather looks fantastic. Just thinking of jumping on a plane to escape the British winter.

Any thoughts please?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes

We avoid going to my boat in Jan/feb due to high heat and humidity we ar 28 degrees South

Whitsundays are 20 degrees South

alan_d

Visit site
Looking at booking a charter in the Whitsundays end of next month, last week of Feb and first week of March. Anyone with experience of local weather conditions could tell me if this is a daft idea, high risk of cyclones? A friend just sent us pics from their trip to Hamilton Island this week and the weather looks fantastic. Just thinking of jumping on a plane to escape the British winter.

Any thoughts please?
Have you got, or can you get hold of, a copy of 100 Magic Miles by David and Carolyn Colfelt? Now on its 14th edition (I have the 8th) this is the recognised bible for cruising the Whitsundays. There is quite a lot about weather in it, but to quote, "Weather is always capricious, and generalisations frequently leave egg on the face of the generaliser. ... the "wet" season in the Whitsundays is January - March, the windiest months are March - May. Cyclones ... come most often between December and April. Queensland has a very good cyclone warning system, and yachtsmen, particularly those on bareboat charter, are most unlikely ever to have to cope with one."

Neeves

Visit site
Have you got, or can you get hold of, a copy of 100 Magic Miles by David and Carolyn Colfelt? Now on its 14th edition (I have the 8th) this is the recognised bible for cruising the Whitsundays. There is quite a lot about weather in it, but to quote, "Weather is always capricious, and generalisations frequently leave egg on the face of the generaliser. ... the "wet" season in the Whitsundays is January - March, the windiest months are March - May. Cyclones ... come most often between December and April. Queensland has a very good cyclone warning system, and yachtsmen, particularly those on bareboat charter, are most unlikely ever to have to cope with one."
Your 2 week weather window means you could arrive in perfect weather in the Whitsundays but within the 2 weeks a cyclone could form and you could be threatened. Your timing is good in that its outside holiday season, schools, and before the nomads arrive. If the weather is 'good' it would be pretty magic up there.

However the chances of a cyclone are slim, depends on your view of risk. But if you proceed - take out insurance.

I'd take note of rogerthebodger comment the humidity and temperatures are higher than you will be used to.

To escape the Oz winter June/Aug there is a migration of the Grey Nomads in their yachts north - but they really do not start until April/May when all risks of cyclone have blown away.

Forecasts are simply forecasts - with a limited amount of certainty - esp[ecially for cyclones. Our forecasts extend for a WHOLE week!

I'd look at the Caribbean - its a better window to hurricane season for your timing. Of course weather apart The Whitsundays offer a much better experience :)

Jonathan

wonkywinch

Visit site
I'd look at the Caribbean - its a better window to hurricane season for your timing. Of course weather apart The Whitsundays offer a much better experience
Many thanks. We've been to Antigua, St Lucia, The Abacos and the BVI (twice) so no need for another Caribbean trip. I have the advantage of concessionary travel on the airlines with tickets that must be used by the end of March (or at least journey started by then) hence looking at a map of the world and sticking a pin in somewhere hot and in the world's "top ten" sailing grounds.

After the tips here and from other friends who live in Australia, we've delayed our trip by 6 weeks and travelling out at the end of March to sail the Whitsundays for the first two weeks of April, albeit the Easter holidays there. Speaking to a very helpful charter company who have excellent FAQs on their website:

Whitsunday Escape™ Yacht Charters, Catamaran & Bareboat Sailing Holidays

Neeves

Visit site
Many thanks. We've been to Antigua, St Lucia, The Abacos and the BVI (twice) so no need for another Caribbean trip. I have the advantage of concessionary travel on the airlines with tickets that must be used by the end of March (or at least journey started by then) hence looking at a map of the world and sticking a pin in somewhere hot and in the world's "top ten" sailing grounds.

After the tips here and from other friends who live in Australia, we've delayed our trip by 6 weeks and travelling out at the end of March to sail the Whitsundays for the first two weeks of April, albeit the Easter holidays there. Speaking to a very helpful charter company who have excellent FAQs on their website:

Whitsunday Escape™ Yacht Charters, Catamaran & Bareboat Sailing Holidays
It will be interesting to learn of your experiences subsequently.

Good move to push the visit back and a good move to visit the Whitsundays

A word of caution. There are minimal licensing requirements in Australia to own or sail a yacht. As far as I am aware it is possible to charter a yacht without qualification. There are thus a number of neophytes around. Most of the time this does not matter to you or I. However when they come to anchor - they are hazard to avoid and it is easier and smarter for you to move, rather than them, when they anchor far too close (etc etc).

We found the problem sufficiently irritating we stopped visiting and went south, to Tasmania, where Bass Strait acts as a rather nice deterrent to visiting the island.

If you wonder why I have an interest in anchoring - I thought I could offer help and advice through our local media - and it 'sort of' grew.

Jonathan

wonkywinch

Visit site
Don't worry Jonathon, I've been to the Ionian!

I found it strange they don't seem to need qualifications, in fact the charter company even take the boat off and back onto the dock for you. They linked to a refresher quiz, the first question - "what side of the boat is the left? Port or Starboard" :eek:

William_H

Visit site
I live on the opposite side of Oz but have had 4 great holidays in north Queensland. Based in Cairns. First trip drove down to Whitsundays and took day trip out to Islands. Lovely snorkelling. The result however is no real desire to charter in Whitsundays. Perhaps my usual home sailing is nearly as nice. Might be just me. However I would go again to do all the same things from Cairns. I love the rain forrests etc.
Now regarding season to go. As said cyclones can present up till April. Not a danger to life but certainly would put an end to a charter. You get around 1 week warning. So there is a good reason to stick to touristy time frame. ie after April.
However if your cheap fares time slot dictates end of March I would let that be my guide. It is not just the weather in FNQ which is perfect in mid year but the fact that all us southerners get fed up with winter and want to migrate. So take the charter for your time slot. Just be prepared for cancellation due to cyclone and do look at touring by car around Cairns up to Port Douglas. But for me a day trip on a tourist boat is just fine. ol'will