Pip Hare

Nimrod18

Visit site
On the Vendée news they were making noises about her setting up for 2024 in a faster boat. Like all here very impressed by her candid, well-scribed reports and her attitude. Anyone know where she’s planning returning to, after the vendee? I sense lockdown 3.0 (3.5...?) will prevent travel to welcome her back, so perhaps wishful thinking.

flaming

Visit site
On the Vendée news they were making noises about her setting up for 2024 in a faster boat. Like all here very impressed by her candid, well-scribed reports and her attitude. Anyone know where she’s planning returning to, after the vendee? I sense lockdown 3.0 (3.5...?) will prevent travel to welcome her back, so perhaps wishful thinking.
Poole.

NormanB

Visit site
In deliberate thread drift and without diminishing Pip at all———Boris Herrmann has produced some cracking short vids during the Vendee sometimes thrice in a day that give witness to the highs and lows of this endurance (Vendee) event. He posted one last night as he was heading NE at 20knots and reporting his experience of requesting the Master of a South bound bulk carrier proceeding at 13 knots to alter 30 deg to stbd to avoid collision - took him half an hour to persuade him apparently.?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Let’s hope that Medallia come through on that. Pip totally deserves it.

It is noticeable that her skills as a professional journalist have lifted her dispatches above the level of most; that she is so articulate about the human side of the challenge makes what she has to say of interest to a wider public than just hardened sailing fans, which from a sponsor’s point of view is pure gold.

She's quite a character isn't she .

Women perhaps are more open than men when it comes to emotions. Not that blokes don't have the same feelings ,they just don't express them so much . Possibly due to social conditioning . So what she is feeling at times, is probably what the rest of the field has experienced at some time during the race. As mentioned above, she gets the message over so well.

Bathdave

Visit site
In deliberate thread drift and without diminishing Pip at all———Boris Herrmann has produced some cracking short vids during the Vendee sometimes thrice in a day that give witness to the highs and lows of this endurance (Vendee) event. He posted one last night as he was heading NE at 20knots and reporting his experience of requesting the Master of a South bound bulk carrier proceeding at 13 knots to alter 30 deg to stbd to avoid collision - took him half an hour to persuade him apparently.?
Boris is a star ..

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site

Thereby ensuring that another twenty merchant seamen continue to use the term “WAFI”. The prat is making twenty knots, he appears on radar as the give way vessel and he can’t be bothered to go under the ship’s stern but insists on his right of way as a sailing vessel?

Utter, utter, prat.

NormanB

Visit site
Thereby ensuring that another twenty merchant seamen continue to use the term “WAFI”. The prat is making twenty knots, he appears on radar as the give way vessel and he can’t be bothered to go under the ship’s stern but insists on his right of way as a sailing vessel?

Utter, utter, prat.
Pleased educate me on Colregs

flaming

Visit site

Utter, utter, prat.
In what way is he not the stand on vessel? AIS would show him as a singlehanded sailing boat.

Kukri

Visit site
In what way is he not the stand on vessel? AIS would show him as a singlehanded sailing boat.

Fair point, yes he is, but he didn’t need to insist on it. How many Imocas will the average bulk carrier mate come across at sea in his or her career? Very, very few vessels make twenty knots these days. The OOW probably had no idea of what he was seeing. Hermann was perfectly charming to one of his sponsors’ ships a day or so earlier, so he has some understanding. But no, he insists on his right of way - and spends half an hour doing so, when he could have just tweaked the helm and added a couple of cables at most to his track.

Prat.

flaming

Visit site
Fair point, yes he is, but he didn’t need to insist on it. How many Imocas will the average bulk carrier mate come across at sea in his or her career? Very, very few vessels make twenty knots these days. The OOW probably had no idea of what he was seeing. Hermann was perfectly charming to one of his sponsors’ ships a day or so earlier, so he has some understanding. But no, he insists on his right of way - and spends half an hour doing so, when he could have just tweaked the helm and added a couple of cables at most to his track.

Prat.
Very much doubt that it would have been just tweaking the helm. Anything more than a few degrees of course change will mean a sail change when pushing that hard.

Mate should have been under no doubt what he was seeing when his AIS tells him it's a sailing boat. And even less doubt when it calls him and says "I'm a sailing boat". The fact that they didn't straight away go "ok, no problem, I am the keep clear vessel I shall avoid" makes the prat label firmly on the bulk carrier's OOD, In my opinion.

Kukri

Visit site
Very much doubt that it would have been just tweaking the helm. Anything more than a few degrees of course change will mean a sail change when pushing that hard.

Mate should have been under no doubt what he was seeing when his AIS tells him it's a sailing boat. And even less doubt when it calls him and says "I'm a sailing boat". The fact that they didn't straight away go "ok, no problem, I am the keep clear vessel I shall avoid" makes the prat label firmly on the bulk carrier's OOD, In my opinion.

How many twenty knot sailing boats does a merchant ship officer expect to come across in mid-ocean? The closing speed here might have been 25 knots or so. I suspect that the OOW’s thought process might have been, “Arpa target... AIS says yacht ... that speed has got to be wrong ...” and only when called up and told to get out of the way, by a pleasure boat insisting on his rights, in mid-ocean will the OOW have realised that yes, this WAFI really does want him to alter course, when a very small alteration on Hermann’s part when still ten miles out from the CPA (30 minutes, right?) would have taken him well clear with no need to touch a sheet.

At the ten miles distance from CPA when he started talking to the bulker’s OOW (these are his numbers) a five degree alteration of course would have taken him half a mile clear. I don’t think an IMOCA needs a sail change for a five degree course alteration.

The man is a prat.

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I've known pip for about 15 years now. It's definitely no coincidence that when we got the best result we ever had in the old boat, a class win at the IRC nats in 30kts of breeze, Pip was trimming the main and bossing the crew about.

It has come as no surprise to those who know her that she has put in the performance she has. Still very gratifying to see. I'm just hoping I get to go for a ride in the new boat!

Her face when the CEO said "time to go shopping" was a picture!

I don't know her but found all of her previous YouTube stuff very informative. She's clearly one hell of a sailor. How many of us can honestly say we could have done the rudder change?

Her vendee stuff has been interesting but I'm not the touchy feely type so maybe not as engaging for me as some of the more Technical stuff. That's on me not her. Absolutely not a criticism.
Hope she can keep pushing to the finish as she's earned a good place in the rankings with her almost antique boat.

Brilliant effort.

Skylark

Visit site
My boat did it in 2004 (with the previous owner) I've considered putting together a team for 2024 to race against the previous owners tine but I think the entry is near £1000 and would involve a considerable amount of time off work.

I've always thought if I do get some time off I'll do it singlehanded and walk/cycle the peaks as a cruise rather than a race.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Start a new thread?

Perhaps there are enough nutters on here to put together a campaign (it's on my Bucket List) ?

flaming

Visit site
How many twenty knot sailing boats does a merchant ship officer expect to come across in mid-ocean? The closing speed here might have been 25 knots or so. I suspect that the OOW’s thought process might have been, “Arpa target... AIS says yacht ... that speed has got to be wrong ...” and only when called up and told to get out of the way, by a pleasure boat insisting on his rights, in mid-ocean will the OOW have realised that yes, this WAFI really does want him to alter course, when a very small alteration on Hermann’s part when still ten miles out from the CPA (30 minutes, right?) would have taken him well clear with no need to touch a sheet.

At the ten miles distance from CPA when he started talking to the bulker’s OOW (these are his numbers) a five degree alteration of course would have taken him half a mile clear. I don’t think an IMOCA needs a sail change for a five degree course alteration.

The man is a prat.
Needless to say, I disagree... But hey ho.

The finish is ridiculously tight. It's a shame that the winner is unlikely to be the one who crosses the line first.

Nimrod18

Visit site
The race for 15th looks quite interesting and Pip (in 19th) has done well over the last few days to close up the gap with the 4-ship of foilers in 15th to 18th - now only 110 miles behind the tail end Charlie (more correctly, Stephane). With only 4ish days to go, unsure if she can close up completely, but she’s clearly not resting on her laurels. Mind you, she reported a broken furler this AM and there is a big depression that looks set to cross the group’s path tomorrow, so not home yet. Regardless, go Pip!