Pile Mooring

Roger52

Visit site
We have moved to a pile mooring this season. The lines etc were set up a couple of weeks before we moved the boat and we had a couple of problems hooking up when we arrived. One was our fault in that we had not allowed enough slack when we attached the floating line to the mooring lines themselves so it was all a bit tight and the other was the large accumulation of seaweed which made the whole thing very heavy to lift. We couldn't get out last weekend but are planning a day out tomorrow. We had lots of help, including from the forum, on the best way to set things up. Advice on how to secure the tender would now be appreciated. I assume it needs to be secured fore and aft when we leave otherwise it will drift but how do we stop it obstructing the mooring lines themselves and making it difficult to pick them up.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I had loops of plastic covered rope (rope through hose pipe) fixed bow and stern on the tender (useful as lifting/shifting handles). Would run the fore and aft pile lines through these into the tender and tie them to the pick-up buoy. Leave the pick up buoy in the dinghy when departing. Tender was secure - the pick-up buoy was too big to pull through the rope loops - and with a fair bit of the mooring lines in the dinghy, not too much weed was collected.

ianat182

Visit site
Probably not a new idea ,but why not fix an eyebolt to each pile and a continuous line ,at half tidal renge height, to each pile with a s/steel shackle at each end. When leaving your dinghy you can secure it fore and aft,and then the two pairs of mooring ropes from each pile with a carabiner at their ends,to the continuous line keeping them out of the water This way it will give the crew something to hold on to as the yacht comes alongside,and the dinghy doesn't get in the way.

ianat182