Pick me a boat 🙂

RAI

Visit site
First off, this isn't really a serious thing as I'm fairly happy with my current boat and not in a position to change any time soon. But I would like to draw up a shortlist of three kind of thing I might want to change to one day. Just in case I get the chance to have a look at one 😁

Current boat- old Primrose era Moody 39. I like the enormous space and stowage. It has adequate trade winds passage speed and sufficient tankage. Inline spreaders are good downwind. It's sub 12m/1.8m draft. Simple transom stern doesn't slap and is practical for mounting davits, wind vane etc. It also doesn't try to ride over my dinghy in a swell.
What I'd like is a bit more performance- our SA:D is only 13.76- plus better sea berths (we don't really have one to starboard). I also don't like the babystay which cuts the deck space up.

So, the hypothetical next boat would be:
- under 12m LOA
- ideally under 1.8 draft
- able to dry out on a wall without damage; strong preference for a skeg hung rudder
- good sea berth on each tack
- SA:D of at least 16; better windward performance than the current boat
- strong preference for inline spreaders and forward lowers
- GRP

The 'nice to have' list includes:
- similar sort of stern to my current boat, no open transoms or raised sugar scoop. Would prefer a slight forward rake for easier boarding.
- at least one decent double cabin plus two other spaces. So it could be three cabin, or two cabins plus a walk in storage/ workshop.
- able to entertain 8 for drinks on the cockpit and 6 for dinner below
- heads near the companionway
- prefer shaft drive to saildrive but this isn't essential

And bonus points if it has:
- no teak
- Solent/cutter rig
- 500l+ water tankage

What do you reckon? So far I'm thinking a Warrior 40 would be a fairly good match, but the cockpit is a bit small, the performance unlikely to be scintillating, and it has a saildrive.
Look for a Coronet Elvstrom 38 on Apolloduck or scanboat.

Sea Change

Visit site
I think you have pretty well described my boat but not in a 12m package, ours being 13.4m and 2.2m draft
800L water tank,
500L diesel,
Solent rig,
No teak decks
Huge storage
Cockpit seats 8
Two heads
No sugar scoop
Shaft drive
Workbench with a couple of vices in engine room with full headroom
Aft double cabin and large foredeck cabin with an additional top bunk. Bottom bunk used for storage.
Lead fin keel and skeg hung rudder
Excellent sea berth in the middle of the boat low down on top of the keel
Inline spreaders
The 2.2m draft contributes to its upwind ability.

I don't think your ideal boat will exist in 12m format😒
There's an awful lot to like about your boat, I can't see you changing any time soon 🙂
The 12m thing is principally about running costs. E.g. bridge fees triple in St Martin when you go over 12m.
I really don't think we need any more space than we already have- all it will do is encourage me to hoard more junk!

When I asked this question I was kind of expecting a long list of boats to appear. I'm not sure which bits of my requirements are problematic?

So far my rough shortlist is something like this:

Starlight 39
Warrior 40
Sealord
Typhoon (looks fun but with a few comprises)

Tranona

Visit site
There's an awful lot to like about your boat, I can't see you changing any time soon 🙂
The 12m thing is principally about running costs. E.g. bridge fees triple in St Martin when you go over 12m.
I really don't think we need any more space than we already have- all it will do is encourage me to hoard more junk!

When I asked this question I was kind of expecting a long list of boats to appear. I'm not sure which bits of my requirements are problematic?

So far my rough shortlist is something like this:

Starlight 39
Warrior 40
Sealord
Typhoon (looks fun but with a few comprises)
Are you coming back to UK to buy? If so you can add the later Moodys in that size range, particularly with the Scheel Keel and the Contests with winged keels. However, apart from better sailing performance, mainly upwind and more modern interior, not a lot better than you have now. No mention of budget either!

Sea Change

Visit site
Are you coming back to UK to buy? If so you can add the later Moodys in that size range, particularly with the Scheel Keel and the Contests with winged keels. However, apart from better sailing performance, mainly upwind and more modern interior, not a lot better than you have now. No mention of budget either!
UK would be the easiest but I'm not wedded to that idea.
Is my 1.8m draft limit a problem, do you think?
I do like the later Moodies... far better quality woodwork down below and generally nicer looking boats which will sail better. I'd have a 425 or 44 in a heartbeat, but of course they're over my self imposed size limit...

Tranona

Visit site
UK would be the easiest but I'm not wedded to that idea.
Is my 1.8m draft limit a problem, do you think?
I do like the later Moodies... far better quality woodwork down below and generally nicer looking boats which will sail better. I'd have a 425 or 44 in a heartbeat, but of course they're over my self imposed size limit...
Mot if you stay under 12m and stick to 1980s designs mainly from UK. However more modern boats of that size will likely have standard drafts of 1.9-2.1m. Then most of those designs will violate your other constraints, particularly transom design and keel/rudder. For example the last Moody 38 had a spade rudder, sugar scoop and 1.95m draft.

The most obvious more modern and affordable replacement of your style of boat is a Bavaria Ocean 38/40, but most are 2m draft (but lead keel) spade rudder, sugar scoop transom and no cutter rig. Well over 250 built so usually some good ones for sale

One swish one here devalk.nl/en/yachtbrokerage/201602/BAVARIA-40-OCEAN.html and a 38 here boatsandoutboards.co.uk/boat/1998-bavaria-38-ocean-8811313/

Quite a few here in UK and come up regularly.

Sea Change

Visit site
I'm not totally against sugar scoops.
There's a smart looking Hanse 371 anchored in front of me just now. I really like the way they've designed the stern. A relatively narrow walk-through which leaves plenty of transom to stick stuff on to, and to park a dinghy against, whilst also giving a low level platform.

Anyway in the interests of adding more names to the list... Najad 390? Amel Sharki?