Petrol in the East of the Thames

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Anyone able to let me know where I can get petrol in the Thames and what days and times they are open. If I am going to explore more I will probably be needing to refuel up there.

Also anyone know if Burham on Crouch do petrol, if I go up that way?

Oh! and Cape town /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif only a joke that one!

Cheers

<font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

luckyjimbo

Visit site
Hi
You can get petrol at Essex marina, which is opposite Burnham yacht harbour, but it is 95p a litre or at least it was last year !
Ever thought about getting some big jerry cans, I did, and save about £35 each time I fill up at 74p a litre!
Regards
James

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>As far as I am aware there is no petrol available on the tidal Thames, indeed it is increasingly difficult to find it on the non-tidal Thames. You will have to add ex WD jerry cans to your ever growing cargo then trudge ashore to a garage to get it.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

AJW

Visit site
Not sure whether Burnham does but Essex Marina t'other side of the Crouch does. If you ever venture further north, Bradwell Marina on the Blackwater does as well as Suffolk Yacht Harbour at Levington.(On the Orwell). These are the only two places on Essex/Suffolk coast with alongside petrol as far as I know. SYH does charge somewhere in excess of £1.15 per litre though! Jerry cans thus a good idea although some garages can get funny about letting you fill them up - legally I think you are only allowed to have 2x5l cans in your car. Useful gadget if you dont have one already is a giant size siphon pump thingy which saves pouring petrol all over yourself and the boat when refuelling at sea.

Burnham is a relatively easy trip from Medway if weather is good and paying due consideration to tides and the Maplin sands. It is all pretty lowlying around that part of the world with not many landmarks so make sure you have the right charts and that all 3 of your GPS's are functioning OK! :)

AJ

<hr width=100% size=1>

neale

Visit site
Burnham does not sell petrol but as already mentioned Essex marina does and they are litterally on the ither side of the river. Next stop North is Bradwell and South is Gillingham. Other than that you could go around North Foreland to Ramsgate or even Dover. If you go up the Thames you have to quite a way onto the non tidal part before you can get alongside petrol.

Neale

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Thank you all for your help, I have a 20ltr jerry can so it seems that I will have to use that, not that it will get me far. With regards to filling up at garages are there any known places that you can moor up to do this in the tidal Thames?

I asked the dealer to fit another tank, but they told me it was against CE regulations, so what are the things to be aware of when carrying extra fuel (I realise best not to smoke!).

Cheers,

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

BarryH

Visit site
Have a look on the "Who wants £50" thread. You'll see my solution to your, and my, dilema. Although check your paper work from Volvo to see if you'll invalidate anything!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

neale

Visit site
Happy

The main thing about carrying jerry cans is to store them somewhere which is vented overboard. This may be difficult but it is best to try and find a way of doing it. If your cockpit is self draining it would be a partial solution. Ie better than storing in the accomodation.

As far as garages go, the only one I can think of is near St Kats. There will almost certainly be others within walking distance of Limehouse, South dock and Gallions point marinas but I would suggest you take some king of folding trolley. 20ltrs of fuel is heavy if you have to carry any distance.

I am not aware of anywhere further east but if Syd is around he may be able to help as I think he is based at Thurrock.

Neale

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Barry I saw that, it is a very good idea, I just don't want my boat to be a floating bomb. Having realised that I am limited by my giant 45 Gallon tank, wait a minute, you think that is big, well it may be in American Gallons, that is what it is in, but nobody told me that, I just found that out today when I questioned the dealer. In UK Gallons it is 37.47 a bit of a difference!!

The data I have is all working on US Gallons, which can really affect your refuelling needs :-

RPM MPH GPH RANGE*
2000 15 2.8 217
3000 25 3.8 266
4000 35 6.9 205
WOT 43-45 - -
0-20 MPH Acceleration: 3.6 sec.

So I will have to go and do some more calculations, you would think that someone in the UK would do all this stuff for you, you pay enough over the odds compared to the Yanks for the same product!!

So I will re-calculate and see what the best thing is to do, perhaps moving the boat near civilisation where you can get fuel would help!! Or buy a diesel engine!!

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

BrendanS

Visit site
Take those figures with a pinch of salt. They're probably as realistic as car manufactures claimed mpg.

If they were measured one up, with half a tank of fuel, in flat calm, they are going to be very different with three up, a full fuel tank, and a cuddy full of safety gear, in 3 foot waves heading into a 20knot wind.

Only way to really get a realistic feel for fuel consumption for your boat is when you've been out in different conditions at different speeds.

<hr width=100% size=1>