Peters - His message has changed?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I read on these forums that Mr. Peters of the recently demised Peters-Opal stated at a conference that the red issue would have no effect on the boating sector - i thought he made some very clear statements on that subject.

So I am perplexed when I today read his quotes in MBM were he lays the demise of Peters-Opal down to some factors which include the effect of the red diesel issue on the market place!!

"People started buying smaller engine boats or moving into motorsailors or yachts"

So which one is true Mr. Peters?

He adds another point which is that UK law makes it difficult to return a rejected boat back to the manufacturer. For this to be a problem there would have to be a fair few rejects going on!!!

He ends feeling very sorry for himself with:-
"I hope that no one will lose out. Its been a very painful and expesnive experience for me"

At no point does he address the plight of those who have lost their deposits etc.

I think the more I get top know this boating industry the sicker I feel about some important parts of it.

BrokerBen

N/A
Visit site
People changing to Yachts hurt him then... So the Legend, Island Packet and Bavaria dealerships he had must have not sold and boats then...

I will not go into more insider style detail, but with that many dealerships there's no way it was diesel related!

KevB

Visit site
I was at a social event where Brian Peters was the guest speaker. He stated there that the demise of red would have no effect on motorboating. I thought at the time it was a bit of a flippant statement.

Maybe someone in government will take notice. Who am I kidding......

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
He states the reason he rejected the offer a being a key Fairline dealer was because he wanted to protect all his staff!!! So he rejected the agency!!!!

He must be an incredibly understanding man that makes key decisions only on the basis of what is right for his staff ...... deserves a dong really. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rob1699

www.helmores.com
[ QUOTE ]
I was at a social event where Brian Peters was the guest speaker. He stated there that the demise of red would have no effect on motorboating. I thought at the time it was a bit of a flippant statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like he had a Gerald Ratner moment...at least he didn't say that Sealines were crap though..!!!!

Rob

rickp

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like he had a Gerald Ratner moment...at least he didn't say that Sealines were crap though..!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

His staff had been doing that for years when flogging fairlines - so no wonder they had little credibility when trying to flog the stuff from Kidderminster.....

Rick

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mmm, I guess at no time has he said publicly that he was a pompous idiot for rejecting the offer of becoming a standard Fairline dealer. I hope it has been ruinously expensive for him. Some consolation for his ex employees and swindled customers

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Well this guy clearly has form which I don't know about, but actually you can't blame him for talking down the red diesel issue when he ran a business selling boats! He'd hardly be doing his brokerage clients or his business much of a favour by adding to the doom and gloom. In fact it would be more of a Gerald Ratner moment to have agreed that loss of red diesel was damaging the industry, thereby killing off his own company by simply telling the truth.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I might have the wrong facts, but the UK Fairline dealership issue was that they wanted him to gurantee an x-numbers of boats to be purchased by him, which according to rumours was double to what Fairline was selling at the time (2 years ago) in UK

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Mike he was offered a KEY dealership.
He was handed two envelopes. One terminated the agency the other offered him a KEY dealership but not exclusive - that is what he turned down. He states he did this to protect the jobs of his employees.

Of course he sold 6000 Fairlines costing over £1bn BUT he was the only source and if you have the brand and are the only source then you do not need to do that much do you? Maybe even have time to become Chair of trade bodies and chase some nice titles from her majesty.

Then when it all fails blame anything but oneselve = even claim credit for trying to protect jobs!!!

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
I can and do blame him for denying that the huge increase in price would not effect the boat business - his organisation along with others has managed to end up with the most expensive fuel available to anyone some 31p per gallon more tax than on road fuel plus we will have the marine industry premium so we are looking at well over £5 per gallon at todays prices and probably over £6 per gallon by the time we get there.

Not a very good end result is it?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

gludy, thaty was my point. Previously Peters were the exclusive Fairline dealer, effectively the Fairline wholesailer from whom most other Fairline dealers had to buy their boats. As I understand it, this arrangement dated back to the early '90's when Peters bailed out Fairline by buying a load of stock boats. Understandably, these other dealers were not happy about Peters taking a cut on every sale they made and the factory eventually moved to change the arrangement. So Peters were offered a non exclusive dealership which they turned down. Stupid not to realise that a particular marketing arrangement could not go on for ever

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
i think that sums it up nicely. Fairline I understand did however want a largish commitment in terms of number/value of product to be G'teed thus protecting the builders volumes.

i hear that Peters biz fell apart as the recievables were mis managed and they were owed mucho dosh from third parties.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
[ QUOTE ]
i hear that Peters biz fell apart as the recievables were mis managed and they were owed mucho dosh from third parties.

[/ QUOTE ]
If thats is the case then the funds should be collected and be enough to pay of all those who losty their deposits.

pks1702

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can and do blame him for denying that the huge increase in price would not effect the boat business - his organisation along with others has managed to end up with the most expensive fuel available to anyone some 31p per gallon more tax than on road fuel plus we will have the marine industry premium so we are looking at well over £5 per gallon at todays prices and probably over £6 per gallon by the time we get there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder if Ashley Overton at Ancasta still stands by his comment a few months ago that ending of derogation will have no effect?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Imagine someone who fancied a power boat and investigated to be told that fuel was more expesnive than road fuel and the boat maybe do 1 or 2 mpg. IMHO that will kill a large part of the larger power boat market but we will see. Its nice to know that tose in the trade thought it would have no effect even though some are now using it to excuse themselves for the demise of their company.

Of course Peters-P[al did not go bust because of the red issue - if that was true than may pure power boat sellers would already be bust. But the red issue will be an increasing factor in depressing the market place and will change the number of large crusing power boats being bought for UK use.

benjenbav

Visit site
Well, I had at least two bills from Peters where I authorised payment by card on the phone and then several weeks later received a letter saying they had failed to collect the payment and could I send a cheque, which struck me as pretty hopeless financial management.

Plus one bill for £200 or so sent about six months after I had sold the boat in question, for work done six months before I sold her. Not a significant sum in itself but if the same was happening across the board, it would not have been at all helpful.