Pet insurance

Hadenough

Visit site
We are taking the dog to France and staying over there for a year or more. Understand all of the entry, exit and pet passport issues. But having trouble getting pet insurance because they restrict the length of stay, (max so far 56 days) and in the event of a claim want evidence of departure ie; ferry tickets.
Anyone have any experience? TIA.

temptress

gbr195t.com
We are taking the dog to France and staying over there for a year or more. Understand all of the entry, exit and pet passport issues. But having trouble getting pet insurance because they restrict the length of stay, (max so far 56 days) and in the event of a claim want evidence of departure ie; ferry tickets.
Anyone have any experience? TIA.

Seriously --- it almost impossible to get insurance for yourself ---- leave the dog at home or don't go

ashtead

Visit site
Have you considered buying pet insurance from a foreign broker based in France or Netherlands ? Given your proposed location presumably treatment if required would be by a French vet who might be a source of helpful advice on anyanimal health product providers for local market . If you currently have cover with a Uk provider have you spoken to them?

Hadenough

Visit site
Have you considered buying pet insurance from a foreign broker based in France or Netherlands ? Given your proposed location presumably treatment if required would be by a French vet who might be a source of helpful advice on anyanimal health product providers for local market . If you currently have cover with a Uk provider have you spoken to them?
Yes we have come to the conclusion that insuring locally when there is the answer as our UK provider quoted ridiculous terms. Thanks.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yes we have come to the conclusion that insuring locally when there is the answer as our UK provider quoted ridiculous terms. Thanks.

I doubt you will get any better if at all in France for a pooch on a cruising boat. I would take it on the chin or maintain your UK insurance and if it develops into something that looks as though it might be major sail back to the UK.

Tranona

Visit site
Self insure - that is pay the bills as they come. Pet insurance is the biggest racket going and the prime reason for the rise in vet costs.

I have kept cats and dogs (pedigree labradors) almost all my adult life and only had one major bill when my latest lab was bitten by an adder. Even then, the bill was less than 4 times the annual premium that I had been quoted. She is now 5 years old and I insured just for the first year, so am now in the money.

Just like humans, for most animals the big money is in the last year or two of life when you can't get insurance easily anyway. Just accept it as a cost of the pleasure they give over their life.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
To give you an idea of French vet costs, I took the cat to the vets the other day to have a tic removed €44 a quick palp of the stomach and 5 seconds to remove the tic, she did give me the tool though afterwards.

Tranona

Visit site
To give you an idea of French vet costs, I took the cat to the vets the other day to have a tic removed €44 a quick palp of the stomach and 5 seconds to remove the tic, she did give me the tool though afterwards.

Not a lot different from what our vet charged for the same thing on the dog - minimum consultation charge. Reminds me, must check her over as she spent a long time yesterday running in the long grass.

[3889]

Visit site
Self insure - that is pay the bills as they come. Pet insurance is the biggest racket going and the prime reason for the rise in vet costs.

I have kept cats and dogs (pedigree labradors) almost all my adult life and only had one major bill when my latest lab was bitten by an adder. Even then, the bill was less than 4 times the annual premium that I had been quoted. She is now 5 years old and I insured just for the first year, so am now in the money.

Just like humans, for most animals the big money is in the last year or two of life when you can't get insurance easily anyway. Just accept it as a cost of the pleasure they give over their life.
+1
The concept of insurance is to cover losses you cannot meet yourself. How can it be economical to finance the administration and marketing of an insurance policy in addition to the cost of the risk? Fair enough if it's your house or some other major asset but with pets, phones, etc insurance doesn't make sense.
As for taking the dog to the vet for a tick?!? Took dozens off my dog and a couple off myself.
https://tinyurl.com/y9cex4h7

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
In my defence despite this being the third beast I have kept, never had a tick before. Given the near miss with the adder - it was touch and go for a time - I was being cautious.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
In my defence despite this being the third beast I have kept, never had a tick before. Given the near miss with the adder - it was touch and go for a time - I was being cautious.

If you have the right tool it's very easy, we took our cat to the vets last week because my wife wouldn't let me do it with tweezers, when she saw how easy it was we bought the tool a bit like a plastic mini jemmy. Only a couple of euros.