Pertol Costs

donziworld

Visit site
I am very happy for MBM to work so hard to stop the marine diesel fuel increases and lobby parliment. It would be nice if they could review the very high pence per litre marina's currently charge for petrol.

Does anyone have a view on this?

rickp

Visit site
Someone recently said that to install a diesel tank was about 50k, and a petrol tank was about 250k. If those are true figures (and it seems reasonable considering the relative volatilities), and considering that less petrol is sold - there is always going to be a large additional cost on the petrol supply at marinas.

Plus, the usual marina profiteering of course, but then they do that on diesel too.

Rick

Alistairr

Visit site
Price per ltr is high, agains't what?

I've had 3 thirsty petrol boats, and never once been concerned of the cost of fuel, it was high when i started boating, and is still high, it won't stop me buying another petrol boat.

Cheers

Al.

pissativlypossed

Visit site
Everyone will have a view, but i think the concerted effort was based on trying to alter the governments mind set on derogation, and not the increase in prices caused by the global economy. I would imagine the price rises on diesel due to market forces is very similar.
I think the marina will point to the lower sales volume and more stringent storage regulations as the reason for a greater difference between forecourt prices and marina prices.

donziworld

Visit site
True, but 30ppl over standard pump prices seems a little steep. If the cost was comparable more people would use marina's rather than transporting gallons down to there boats in the boot of there cars.

donziworld

Visit site
I would never stop using my petrol boat and, yes buy a thirsty V8 and you pay the price. It just seems once the word 'marina' is mentioned, we all pay more?

Alistairr

Visit site
Petrol for marinas and garage forecourts is the same, what differs is the quantity it is bought in, garage forecourts buy in huge quantities of fuel and hence get it at a better price, where as marinas, only use a fraction of the quantity per year, and there fore have to pay a higher cost for the fuel. I happen to know our marina add only 1p onto there cost of a litre of petrol.
The same can be said about diesel, i buy a small quantity of red in for our business, and have to pay a higher price, than you guys can get it at the marinas.

Cheers

Al.

ported0

Visit site
must admit at my fill last week I was presently surprised at paying £1.00 a litre at largs not worth jerrycaning when the forecourt is at 92p

ms1

Visit site
I have no doubt that small quantities cost more, but I dont believe that much more. Surely its a case of profiteering
"everyone knows that boat owners are rich".
The marinas go one step more and in their mooring agreements prevent you from bringing your own fuel to your boat just to make sure you cannot benefit from road fuel prices.
its big bucks business, just like boat lifting. If your car needs a lift to get fixed its on the ramp an dealt with .. If your boat need to come up the slipway for a fouled prop its 10 quid a foot.