peep your horn if you don't like raggies.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
That's true enough, our boats also carry their way quite predictably, once you get used to a particular hull. But you have a megga advantage once you get a man ashore with a line. Your lack of underwater substance makes it easy to pull the hull sideways into position. Try doing that with a keelboat. In fact, just try holding a keelboat line once the current gets behind the keel sideways on - it will simply drag you into the water.

Every hull is different, it takes time to adjust from one to another, but the skill of boating is all about learning how to handle the particular hull you happen to be in.

[This IS a tease]I'm sure you will soon get the hang of your own boat now you understand it's bad points :p:D [tease off]

Tell me about it - grown men run for cover when they see me approaching.

Morgana will attest to the fact that (a) I am occasionally drawn over to the Dark Side and (b) I am equally crap at helming a raggie :D

blueglass

Visit site
[QUOTE
Why not try a "natural" night just once in a while & listen to the birds, watch them wheel & turn. Watch the sunset, breathe the clean air in an open cockpit & remember what boating is really about? You may even find you like it too! :eek:[/QUOTE]

you see, there you go again searush. You must have a degree in making sweeping statements.
You have actually just described a perfect evening on board Ortelius, but your assumption that such pleasures are entirely the reserve of yachties is just a tiny little bit patronising, and condescending. That is my whole point -the blind prejudice is what gets my goat.
I was in a Greek harbour just at the end of this season when an English yacht came in and was being directed by rib to a vacant space next to me. I clearly heard the skipper ask for somewhere else away from the stinkboat. It was refused as there was nowhere else. We were known there and he was told we were actually "nice people" and would do them no harm. They came in begrudgingly and with bad grace. Relations as you can imagine were a little frosty.
Don't get me wrong I'm not going to burst into tears even if you do tell me again I'm throwing my toys out of the pram. Its just a little bit unnecesary and unpleasant. I have to say that in my experience the attitude is somewhat more prevalent among English yachties than from other parts of the world.

blueglass

Visit site
Fair do's, it just seems a bit strange to me to start a thread which is purely to have a go at yotties as, let's face it, all threads turn into yottie v mobo if there's a chance. I must've been lucky so far, haven't come across much of the anti mobo mob up to yet.
Actually if you read the OP again Philiz my post was against yachties prejudice against mobos. I didn't actually say a word against them!
If you haven't come across it yet - don't worry you will!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
BlueGlass,

You are being disingenuous again. I quoted Daka's post & my question was posed to him. Your reply is welcomed & I am delighted to hear it, but there was no accusation towards you whatsoever, & only a little tease at Daka.

Why are you so sensitive? :confused:

alandee

Visit site
We were in disguise!

Hi Blueglass. When we met four years ago we were going through the French Canals . We had an enjoyable evening sitting on the river bank drinking sundowners and watching the world go by. To get through the canal system we had transported our mast to the SOF by road, so you might have mistaken us for a MOBO. Of course when we got down to Port Napolian we put the mast back up, grew our horns again and and stuck to the collision regs whenever we saw a MOBO! Best Wishes and a Merry Christmas, Al and Dee.

DAKA

Visit site
BlueGlass,

You are being disingenuous again. I quoted Daka's post & my question was posed to him. Your reply is welcomed & I am delighted to hear it, but there was no accusation towards you whatsoever, & only a little tease at Daka.

I had no idea there was some sort of etiquette that meant you are only supposed to reply when spoken to.............ooooooooooooops :D

Although I took your posts in the humour I am sure they were intended I equally know that the forum banter does actually turn into reality on the water, there is a minority of raggies that are like hungover lesbian rugby players having a period :eek:

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Well of course its its only a lunch time stop then we can manage but if we are there longer then we need the genny for

Hot water
Air con
charge the water scooter
Charge pc, phones and various games consoles .....

Of course I could tell the wife and kids to have a cold shower after swimming, sit in the dark talking, no water scooter etc etc
And then they would be bored saddos, miserable ready to complain at any petty thing such as gennys and loud music, ah, that reminds me when we used to sail .;)

Leaving aside the air con (in this country :eek:) and water scooter I am surprised that you domestic battery bank can't handle the lights and charging the odd mobile phone or two for anything longer than a lunch stop.

blueglass

Visit site
Hi Blueglass. When we met four years ago we were going through the French Canals . We had an enjoyable evening sitting on the river bank drinking sundowners and watching the world go by. To get through the canal system we had transported our mast to the SOF by road, so you might have mistaken us for a MOBO. Of course when we got down to Port Napolian we put the mast back up, grew our horns again and and stuck to the collision regs whenever we saw a MOBO! Best Wishes and a Merry Christmas, Al and Dee.

Hello you two - I remember that evening well, can't for the life of me remember where it was though! l hope you are having a great time down there and managing to keep away from all the nasty mobos! All the best for Christmas to you too!

blueglass

Visit site
BlueGlass,

I don't think you are in the slightest bit confused searush. I didn't actually take it as a personal accusation, I assumed as it was on an open forum it was intended as a general address.
"Disingenuous" ?? - in what way exactly have I appeared insincere, lacking in honesty and frankness

DAKA

Visit site
Leaving aside the air con (in this country :eek:) and water scooter I am surprised that you domestic battery bank can't handle the lights and charging the odd mobile phone or two for anything longer than a lunch stop.

Alright serious reply,

When we come back from CI into the solent on a BH the chances of getting a berth is slim, after a long crossing of 3-4 hours my berth skills can be unpredictable so we head for Studland Bay or if it NE 5 then Newton creek.
Batteries are fully charged but take a hammering from the windlass.

We will have a swim, take a deck shower have something to eat, play with the remote control speedboat by which time my daughter wants another swim/deck shower.....
thats the hot water gone.

The blue deck lights probably do consume a bit of power but they are only really useful when in a dark anchorage, and they look great when returning in the tender from the pub in the dark.

In the morning we can get up and use gas for hot water but the scooter and speedboat will be dead and no swimming.

We enjoy being at anchor and would like to stay another day but not only have we run out of hot water but the 90 gallons of fresh water is now unobtainable as the power has gone and there in no way of drawing it.
The electric bog was a mistake , bought so my daughter (then 3) could flush, but it consumes huge power and leaves us in trouble when the power dies.

Then we hear some friends (raggies) we havent seen for 18 months (weve been cruising) call a radio check in, phone call and we arrange to meet in newton creek, stay for drinks etc and have to start the genny, now we have been there overnight and a Raggie has come at the side of us, very close, I got the usual black looks ..........they came close to me !
Surely joking apart if you use an anchorage you can expect generator noise, its part of the ambience.

Is it fair that I should loose all the comforts on board just to loose a very slight background noise ?
When I returned in the tender after using the donut I turned the outboard off, 4 meters away and I thought the genny had run out of fuel but it was still running.
It would be interesting to use a sound meter on the clanking shrouds of a metal mast @ 4 meters, now thats a real nuisance.
36 hours and we have no loo and cant get the fresh water out.

Last edited:

fergie_mac66

Visit site
"tell me why the merchant and RN are all steaming around the world under motor power having long since abandoned sticks and rags!!!???? "

I'm not sure its to do with anything other than a 70,000 ton aircraft carrier with sails wouldn’t really work.

hmm they going to have no aircraft on them decks . So they might as well put half a dozen masts on them sails have improved no end since Victorian times and in these cost cutting times they could do with trying to save fuel .

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
It amazes me that raggies complain about gennys in such locations as it is obvious everyone will be running gennys if there isnt any shore power, why do they go into such anchorages when within spitting distance there is a fully serviced marina with no gennys

If you need power so desperately why not go into the marina and plug in rather than anchor and make a noise?

Bit like going to a football match and asking the bloke at the side not to shout !

It's more like going into the library next door to the football match and then getting huffy when you're asked not to listen to the commentary on a radio.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I don't think you are in the slightest bit confused searush. I didn't actually take it as a personal accusation, I assumed as it was on an open forum it was intended as a general address.
"Disingenuous" ?? - in what way exactly have I appeared insincere, lacking in honesty and frankness

OK, I'm beginning to lose the will to live, but I will try one more time.

My post specifically quoted DAKA's as a standard forum technique to indicate that it was his point I was dealing with. Just as your post is quoted here. That, to me is pretty simple & clear, so my assumption (possibly wrong I admit) is that you would understand that, & that your taking it as a general jibe was deliberate.
[tease]
Given the possibility of incompetence or conspiracy, it seems I may have chosen the wrong one. I apologise that I misjudged you. :p [/tease]

I read your response to "What is boating all about" & do not think we are far apart at all. Perhaps we are too similar to get along - in the same way as siblings or other close family members. :D Sadly, I suspect the chances of us meeting over a drink in a quiet anchorage somewhere are pretty low. That's a shame, I think we might actually both enjoy the experience.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Alright serious reply,

Is it fair that I should loose all the comforts on board just to loose a very slight background noise ?

36 hours and we have no loo and cant get the fresh water out.

To my mind this is the 'issue' here, the compromises you have made to keep you family on board mean that your boat is packed with power hungry equipment so that that the the comforts of home are all available on the water. Meanwhile many of your neighbours will have chosen to leave the marina and accepted that they will have to flush the toilet themselves in order to get some peace and quiet. :)

Since having boats with shore power to charge the batteries while in the marina I can't recall a time when I have run out of juice despite having the lights on, running the fridge and having a pressurised water system!

PlanB

Visit site
This is the most stupid post for a long while.

If there are those making general comments about those with motorboats then why give them the satisfaction of a retort.

Fwiw I am a boater, nothing else and I have found most others to be thoroughly nice people.

What you have posted above is unnecessary...
But very funny!

Garold

Visit site
Raggies can annoy moboers too.........

Only raggies complain about generators............. I don't think so.

After staying a couple of days in Ryde harbour last year, our batteries were low because the tide or us always seemed to be out during daylight hours when we could run the genny to top up the house batteries. We were rafted to an unoccupied cat so had no chance of shore power.

Anyway, when the tide returned about 8pm I decided to run the genny for an hour, but inadvertently forgot to turn it off. At about 9.30pm a bloke on an adjacent pontoon, who was on a motorboat, called across and asked if I would turn off the genny. I apologised and did so immediately. (Up to that point I hadn't noticed his dog barking!)

Reading this thread, it just amused me that my experience would suggest that it's not raggies vs. moboers, but genny owners vs. non-genny owners.

Reading Searush's comments, it's clear that for some people, sailing is an altogether more stripped-down leisure pursuit, and the quality of the silence when sailing is very important.

However, for those of us who like to sail with some domestic comforts (often driven by generators), I suspect that we will always annoy them, especially if we are insensitive. And there's no solution to such a fundamental difference, but maybe some sensitivity to the needs of others may lessen unpleasant confrontations.

As for bow waves....... there's only one solution. Get two hulls, you won't roll so much and they seem to make smaller wakes.

Cheers

Garold

blueglass

Visit site
Only raggies complain about generators............. I don't think so.

Cheers

Garold
couldn't agree more. they have their time and place but its not in a harbour, next to other boats or in an anchorage in the quiet of the evening. as a mobo I have complained about inconsiderate gennies on more than one occasion. We had an italian 50 footer alongside earlier this year who arrived with his genny already running, and kept it on all night. My request for a bit of a break from the exhaust fumes was met with a shrug. He sat there (alone) all evening watching TV with the aircon on.
If I have to use mine in an anchorage It goes ion for an hour during busy time of the day when lots of tenders etc buzzing about, to minimize any interference with others.

On a slightly different tack I still haven't heard any raggies with a genuine defence for running their engines for long periods at anchor. There still seems to be some concept of this being OK, while a genny isnt.