PBO Article from late seventies Conversion of Outboard to TVO or Paraffin

Visit site
I read one of my dad's PBO articles and it was how to convert one of the numerous low HP 2-stroke outboard motors to run on paraffin. I've searched for the last 40 years to find a copy of the magazine. I can remember a few passages word for word.

My late father was the most wonderful person. We built a brick garage together when I was eight. I hand-mixed the entire concrete foundations and mortar for it.
He then bought an 18-ft fibreglass hull. £90, but he had to promise to give up smoking...
I helped him build the cruiser. He taught me so, so much. Spent his entire Christmas holiday building me a KeilKraft Phantom balsa model aircraft, Cox .8cc glow-plug engine.

The article would mean so much to me as it was ten years since he passed away.
I still have the British Anzani 4hp outboard. Never run, in my workshop.
If anyone can help with a copy of the magazine:
It was around three pages in total. Discussed TVO or tractor vaporising oil as an alternative to paraffin. The need to start on petrol, lowering compression ratio, the sentence "paraffin has a sickly smell" stands out in my memory?
Mid to late seventies to early eighties?
Thanks in advance, Donald.

rotrax

Visit site
I have done this with a motorbike.

All I did was turn the paraffin off and let the engine stop. A small -one pint-oil tin with a tap soldered in the bottom and a bit of fuel pipe allowed me to pull off the paraffin supply pipe, attach the petrol pipe from the one pint tin, fill and tickle the Villiers carb and start it up next time from cold. Once going on a carb full of petrol, the tap was turned off, pipes swopped over and the paraffin turned on.

We used to roar around the fields on this old three speed Fanny Barnett. Using paraffin made it cheaper........................

scottie

Visit site
We used to have an old gaff cutter circa 1890 with a petrol paraffin AilsaCraig or thorneycroft on one occasion he ran the said engine on release oil in error he had access to both from the works and the storeman was anxiously waiting his reaction on return from summer cruise
Any problems he was asked no engine just leaked more than usual the reply

neil_s

Visit site
Evening hay - making with the Allis Chalmers model B TVO tractor. It ran a little rich on paraffin so always had an eerie blue flame above it's exhaust pipe.

dgadee

Visit site
Ferguson tractors were petrol/paraffin. The wee gray one which replaced my grandfather's horse in the 1950s. Is my memory correct?

Sandro

Visit site
we have a very old Pasquali rototiller (correct term?) with a Lombardini petrol/paraffin engine.
The cilindrical tank is divided in two sections; the fuel tap has two inputs and three positions: shut, petrol, paraffin.
Rust has pierced through the internal partition, so it is all paraffin. To start we just pour some petrol in the air filter.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Surely an engine would have to be designed to be dual-fuel, or were earlier and cruder engines just more forgiving?
istr that Fergies came in different guises, straight petrol and - was it called 'gas-oil' - petrol/diesel spark ignition hybrids?
Surely no normal traditional petrol engine will run on kerosene? thinking say 1960s/70s 4 cyl Fords?
Still , if a Franny Barnett did so - or are two-strokes different?

rotrax

Visit site
Surely an engine would have to be designed to be dual-fuel, or were earlier and cruder engines just more forgiving?
istr that Fergies came in different guises, straight petrol and - was it called 'gas-oil' - petrol/diesel spark ignition hybrids?
Surely no normal traditional petrol engine will run on kerosene? thinking say 1960s/70s 4 cyl Fords?
I did not know if it would work until I tried it. Petrol was four shillings and sixpence a gallon IIRC. Paraffin was half a crown. No contest at 15 years old.

B27

Visit site
I remember petrol/TVO tractors.
Start on petrol, switch to TVO when the engine is warm.
These were old tractors in mid 70s, only dragged out for peak haymaking time.
This was on a farm where the 'newer' tractor had a pre-65 reg no.

I recall my Dad loaning a mower to a a 'friend' who rain it on paraffin, which seemed to do it no good at all!

Some of the Yacht Clubs have libraries with old bound volumes of the comics, I don't think mine has any PBO, but I will look tomorrow.
I don't know if any part of the public library service would have copies?

scottie

Visit site
You are trying to compare mid sixties with mid thirties remember and that’s 80-90 vintage