Paul & Rachael Chandler - UPDATE

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Reported today by AP in Nairobi:

A retired British couple snatched last year from their sailboat by pirates could be released within weeks as Somali communities inside and outside the East African country work for their freedom, a Somali official said Friday.

Paul and Rachel Chandler were forced by pirates off their 38-foot yacht, the Lynn Rival, and onto an open skiff in October as they headed to Tanzania. Soon after, their pirate captors demanded $7 million to release the Chandlers. Britain's government refuses to pay ransoms to kidnappers.

Mohamed Omar Dalha, the deputy speaker of Somalia's parliament, told The Associated Press that Somali communities inside and outside the chaos-wracked country have been working to negotiate the "unconditional release" of the Chandlers. Dalha said Friday that he was hopeful they would be released within two weeks.

"We are hopeful that the British couple will be released as soon as possible without condition," he said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gB7YMEDuCwwY9ncDOtPAkEI4-H2wD9E8GMDO1

Humblebee

Visit site
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them What a terrible ordeal for a couple of innocent people, to get caught up in something they had no involvement in.

EdWingfield

Visit site
I understand the ransom demand started at $7million. It was later reported to be decreasing. The latest I read was that the pirates would be happy to recover their 'expenses'.

activesail

www.activesail.com
Fingers crossed.

It is hopefully a really good sign that the couple have not been harmed and are allowed to see doctors.

I just hope there captors come to there senses and release the Chandlers soon, on humanitarian grounds.

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
Hopefully they'll be released soon unharmed BUT also let others learn that if you're warned against going to a particular area it's foolish to ignore that advice.
Obviously there's inherent danger in any offshore voyage, but when an area is rife with pirates/kidnappers/thieves/terrorists surely it's part of a prudent passage plan to avoid those areas. After all, one wouldn't sail into an area with known dangers such as hidden rocks/overfalls etc. or set sail with hurricanes forecast, would one?

H

highandry

Modern French warship and combat equipped helicopter appear on the horizon.

Pirates ditch shoulder fired weapons.

Unarmed pirates arrested.

No hostages present...Alors! Zat's handy...free fire zone...French swing into action and... attack... and sink!! the empty skiffs

Another resounding French naval victory.

Loud cheers from err Brits on the forum...:D :D :D

(I'm about to write chapter two of my book..keep the posts coming boys)..:D

froglet

Visit site
Modern French warship and combat equipped helicopter appear on the horizon.

Pirates ditch shoulder fired weapons.

Unarmed pirates arrested.

No hostages present...Alors! Zat's handy...free fire zone...French swing into action and... attack... and sink!! the empty skiffs

Another resounding French naval victory.

Loud cheers from err Brits on the forum...:D :D :D

(I'm about to write chapter two of my book..keep the posts coming boys)..:D

Stop it, it isn't funny