Passive radar reflector - anything better than Echomax?

RAI

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the system (at the time) that could have prevented the Indian midair couldn't actually see or calculate altitude, but obtained it from the aircraft's transponder?
If I'm thinking of the same case, the TCAS could have averted a collision. It uses the squitter signals from the Mode-S transponders.

Refueler

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the system (at the time) that could have prevented the Indian midair couldn't actually see or calculate altitude, but obtained it from the aircraft's transponder?

I'd have to find the report and documentary - but the VERTICAL altitude radar was still in its boxes waiting to be installed ... the ATC was relying on verbal assessment and each party believed each to be at correct flight levels. As I recall - the Ukrainian flight deck reported verbally altitude wrongly and was advised to change to xx level ... misunderstanding by the Ukrainian flight deck occurred and BHAM.
If I recall - there was total loss of life - both aircraft. The ATC guy wrongly blamed himself.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I'd have to find the report and documentary - but the VERTICAL altitude radar was still in its boxes waiting to be installed ... the ATC was relying on verbal assessment and each party believed each to be at correct flight levels. As I recall - the Ukrainian flight deck reported verbally altitude wrongly and was advised to change to xx level ... misunderstanding by the Ukrainian flight deck occurred and BHAM.
If I recall - there was total loss of life - both aircraft. The ATC guy wrongly blamed himself.
What I'm trying to establish is that the secondary radar you're talking about does or does not calculate altitude. I'm pretty sure that it asks the aircraft's transponder for it.

Reactions: RAI

Refueler

Visit site
What I'm trying to establish is that the secondary radar you're talking about does or does not calculate altitude. I'm pretty sure that it asks the aircraft's transponder for it.

No it was a narrow beam radar that gave altitude ... my Father was one who was pushing for installation of them for general use ... there are still odd ones around ... you will see the antenna doing a vertical oscillation.
Some airfields I have seen them at half runway length of to the side .... probably halfway so they can be turned to match the runway use direction.

And anyway - RADAR would never be an 'asking' unit ... and why the oscillating antenna ?

My original point was to question a statement that ATC had no altitude detection by radar ... which was not true for many airports .. I assume techno has evolved since those simple days of course.

RAI

Visit site
No it was a narrow beam radar that gave altitude ... my Father was one who was pushing for installation of them for general use ... there are still odd ones around ... you will see the antenna doing a vertical oscillation.
Some airfields I have seen them at half runway length of to the side .... probably halfway so they can be turned to match the runway use direction.

And anyway - RADAR would never be an 'asking' unit ... and why the oscillating antenna ?

My original point was to question a statement that ATC had no altitude detection by radar ... which was not true for many airports .. I assume techno has evolved since those simple days of course.
Those nodding height finding radars were used only by the military, I believe. They even used them to talk a pilot down to a landing.
ICAO struggled to standardize the plethora of navigation aids after the war. Civil Aviation took the SSR route for surveillance.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site

On the interrogation - I think you might be surprised. I wanted to find out for sure, so had a read. @RAI answered the nodding bit - do the military there still use it? (I've been on a couple of RAF stations and not noticed it there).

Refueler

Visit site
Those nodding height finding radars were used only by the military, I believe. They even used them to talk a pilot down to a landing.
ICAO struggled to standardize the plethora of navigation aids after the war. Civil Aviation took the SSR route for surveillance.

Sorry .. 'those nodding radars' were not only used by Military ... many were put to Civilian Airfields ...

RAI

Visit site
SSR's were designed to act as data links between the radar and the transponders.
However, the airlines objected to the full functionality, as they already had a VHF data link capability, so Mode S transponders are about as far as it's got.
However the airlines did go for TCAS/ACAS using a so called Mode S long squitter to enable aircraft to locate each other and issue dive/climb alerts to the pilots.
The military also use Mode-S transponders but call it IFF. They may have taken on the data link capability.

Refueler

Visit site
Perhaps to enable the civil runway for military landings in poor weather. I don't think they are used anymore.
AN/FPS-6 Heightfinder radar
I think the military have moved on to phased array radars for surveillance.

1. I am talking about years before
2. My Father as a Chief Ops in CAA was in favour and supported their installation
3. The Mid-air accident I mentioned has reference to the non installation of the gear

As to transducers and so - of course world moved on. But I am old enough to have seen them and heard talk about them.

RAI

Visit site
1. I am talking about years before
2. My Father as a Chief Ops in CAA was in favour and supported their installation
3. The Mid-air accident I mentioned has reference to the non installation of the gear

As to transducers and so - of course world moved on. But I am old enough to have seen them and heard talk about them.
I can remember the height finders too, but they are long gone from civil aviation.
Satellite navigation is slowly penetrating the civil aviation field with ADS used for surveillance.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Regardless of various assertions to the contrary no Western civil ATC radar I am aware of has any height -detection ability whatsoever and any Eastern bloc one will probably be a military derivative. No civil airfield (in the West) that I am aware of has a vertically scanning head. That is purely a military system for PAR approaches (Precision Approach Radar) which allows a controller to talk down an aircraft in bad vis - an extremely antiquated though on a small local scale quite effective system originating in the '50s if not earlier and now totally superceded many, many decades ago in civvy street by ILS and more recently GPS approaches.
SSR provides the height data by interrogatng the aircraft's on-board system which returns a signal to the interrogating radar with additional coded date, ie altitude.
If Heathrow's radar is said to be able to reach 350Km it most certainly can't do that in primary mode with any hope of reliability, and at that range would probably see nothing below 20,000ft. It might manage to recieve SSR returns at that range, but even then such comparisons are pretty much meaningless nowadays when "Heathrow Radar" isn't a radar set located anywhere near Heathrow but part of a European integrated radar network that sends its data to recipients all over the place over fibre-optic cables...In any case Heathrow traffic is controlled from Swanwick near Southampton and has been for decades...As to where the radar heads themselves are is quite another matter.

However all this is all completely different to marine ship's radar!

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
It's that automation of functions that makes it important to get to 10 m2 RCS on a yacht. ARPA needs highly observable targets. The skill of a trained radar operator to extract targets from clutter is being lost and anyway, there are so few on a bridge these days. GMDSS was designed to reduce the cost of bridge crew. AIS is now integrated with the ECDIS so is even better than primary radar, when both are working.

Interested in where you get info that :

1. "there are so few on a bridge these days." ?
2. "GMDSS was designed to reduce the cost of bridge crew" ?

And finally not all vessels have AIS integrated into the ECDIS ...

The standard Bridge crew consists of OOW + AB / OS at night ,
OOW alone in day ... with AB / OS working on deck with walkie-talkie to be called if needed.

Once vessel enters coastal waters or high traffic area - then an extra AB / OS or maybe Officer is assigned .. approaching Port Master is there ready to take the Con for finals and Pilotage ... with OOW and AB / OS

Been that way since year dot and still same today ... it was only Passenger ships and such that had extra on bridge.

The reduction of costs has been implemented by change of nationalities - not equipment. Why do you think myself and thousands of others left and took up Shipping related jobs ashore ? We were being asked to 'train' our replacements - who were paid a fraction of our salaries.

Its actually a very sore subject for many seafarers ...

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Perhaps I can make my first million by designing a mast-top radar reflector mounting, which I fancy will harnesses the kinetic energy of the mast thrashing back and forth to maintain the mounting itself (and hence the radar reflector) perfectly horizontal or vertical. ;)
It's called a gimbal ?

You think a simple gimbal will keep anything perfectly level at all times? You could have saved the world the trouble of inventing gyroscopes!

Refueler

Visit site
You think a simple gimbal will keep anything perfectly level at all times? You could have saved the world the trouble of inventing gyroscopes!

You are comparing apples with oranges ...

The simple gimbal unless damped or powered suffers from "overshoot" - get a box compas and tilt the bowl - then let go .. that is the gimbal will pass neutral point and swing back ... it will keep doing this like a pendulum till the momentum dissipates.
Early Steady Cams and other units had unpowered gimbals but suffered from 'overshoot' of neutral. That is why powered gimbals were then used - as in my Video Drones.
Gyros have a powered function that forces them to stay in neutral position - if deflected will return to neutral with virtually no overshoot.

About on-board gimbals ... pal of mine has his radar scanner mounted in a physical gimbal with damping.

RobbieW

Visit site
...That is why powered gimbals were then used - as in my Video Drones...
I suspect that accelerometers are doing the driving so what you have is much the same chip as is in your phone. More or less a development from the inertial platform navigation systems used in long distance aircraft from the 60s on