Parking etiquette

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Thought I would jump forums to ask opinion on this.

On Sunday evg whilst locking the boat up at Pwllheli marina I noticed a 22 - 25 ft speedboat flaffing around trying to get into a finger berth, as a visitor. Net result being that he was bumping off other boats to the left and right of him. Final straw for me came when he tried to go nose in and then reversed out, the bow swung round and the protuding anchor scraped right down the side of the neighbouring boat leaving a distinct white scar in the middle of his blue hull. The driver didn't seem to give two hoots about this and when he switched his engine off to scratch his head and wonder how he was going to get in I shouted "Never mind the damage to other peoples boats". His wife, who was stood on the pontoon resplendent in her all white clothes, sun tan and gold jewellery, said - "he's not doing it on purpose". I didn't doubt this for one minute but the fact remained that four boats had been bumped, one badly and they had no intention of doing anything about it. The saving grace for the owner of the damaged boat was that his brother was co-incidentally just visiting to get some gear off and saw the whole thing, went to the marina office to get some details on the visitor.

I cringed at the whole event thinking about the consequences if it was my boat and I was not there to witness it. The damage would probably run into a few hundred pounds to repair, what could/should be done in the circumstances? Are the marina offices obliged to release details of who has used the neighbouring berth as a visitor so you could contact them, and then try to prove etc or is a simple case of hit and run?

Reason I ask this here is that I see many speedboats and powerboats struggle to park (although it is not exclusive to them and this is not a pop at MBC) and bump other craft. PS, weather was calm at the time.

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Easier on a yacht ?

I've seen this kind of problem with power boat users too.

I sometimes think it is a lot easier on a yacht (which I own) as the keel limits sideways movement and using tide you can keep steerage at very low speeds.

I've never steered a large powerboat but I understand there are big advantages in the way you can play off one engine against another. Perhaps some users have just not had the training to understand how to do this and the considerable affects of windage, etc.

G

Re: Easier on a yacht ?

Really.....try manoeuvering a single V8 stern drive with a very deep vee hull with the wind on yer nose into a ridiculously tight place...nowt you can do if she starts to go...you can have as much training as you like..still IMHO one of the most difficult things to do (if not THE most difficult). I still dread coming into marina/town quay or whatever...came in to my local marina @ Stourport on Severn last night (as I've done countless times before) and still buggered it up..ie clouted next door's fender basket..of couirse I'll tell him. My attitude is if someone comes in at a sensible rate, then we're all at the mercy of nature and that some boats are a bloody sight easier to moor than others. I've seen yachts cock it up big style at Plymouth, whilst owners still managing to keep their noses up and pretend it didn't happen!!

DepSol

Visit site

Always a big problem that with my Cruisers 224 the front was like a sail in a wind and if you didnt get it right it pushed the nose off.

The Jeanneau is very good as the design keeps a lot more boat in the water at non planing speeds therefore the front doesnt get blown of course which makes it much easier to manouvre. It is difficult but there are so many people who bump and run these days you have to not give them the benefit of doubt and make sure they do something about it before they dissappear again. Had this trouble with a frog and he then denied to the insurers he was ever there!

Dom

My boats going back in the water ;-)

david_e

To be precise Syd, I didn't, but there are certain things you can bet your bottom dollar on, and this is one of them. Had his wife had a less pompous attitude I might be less certain, she didn't think he was doing anything wrong.

KevL

Visit site

I get one shot at getting her onto the pontoon as the wind will blow me off my pontoon and onto the neibouring boat. My wife has one shot at hitting the cleat with a stern line so that I can get a little bit of power on and hold us against the pontoon until we get a bow line on. This takes practice and timing and there are no second chances, no way to get back out before the wind takes us. This is why I always have loads of fenders out on both sides, just in case.

From the owner of a single V8 stern drive with a very deep vee hull but also with loads of windage due to the flybridge.

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL

halcyon

Visit site

Try to go astern with a 27 foot long keel, 7hp engine, and two blade prop. Normally involves fenders, long ropes, and two or more hands.

At the end of the day you can find a problem with any boat, that's the challenge of boating, the thing that gives you that warm feeling when you step ashore.

Brian

markc

Visit site

This I think is a tough subject to comment on. However, I think some defence of the power boat chap may be in order.

Firstly, no-one on any boat wants to hit another boat, or would not be concerned about it if they did - that would just be plain daft! I would guess that the attitude that was gained from this couple was attributable to embarrassment, perhaps akin to wishing the ground would open up! I myself feel sorry for anyone in that position, but I think the culprit is lack of practice.

Many people think they 'drive' boats like cars and 'park' boats like cars. It is only after the first bumps that they realise this is not so, but there is often no-one who can help or give advice. (Someone once said that mooring a boat was like driving a car on sheet ice with no brakes). I was lucky, after making a good show (not!) of my mooring skills on my first boat, someone persuaded me to enter boat handling competitions. I learnt loads - not just the handling of the boat, but effective communication with the crew to help you out of difficult positions, rather than just panicking. You end up being relaxed at the helm and taking it in your stride - the practice wont stop you getting out of shape, but you'll know what to do when you do which will minimise embarrassment and damage to your own and others.

In conclusion, I would like to see marinas offering new or old berth holders some close quarters manoeuvring lessons for free. All it would take is the use of a free space and a few volunteers. I know that it will reduce some entertainment in many marinas but could be well worth the investment.

I step down from my orange box!

M

http://www.geocities.com/jinto100/Jintopics.html

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You should take the name of the boat, report it to the marina office and leave a note on the damaged boat agreeing to be a witness. Damaging somebody else's pride and joy and not owning up is a capital crime as far as I'm concerned
I have to say, though, that down here in the Solent, its the yotties that display the most comical parking skills - an endless source of entertainment unless its your boat thats being used as a fender, as mine has been twice this season already

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Bow Thrusters

When I ordered Arctic Fox everyone wondered why I wanted to spend nearly £3k on a bowthruster on a boat of 27ft.

Now I have had it for a couple of weeks, suddenly those heart stopping moments, when a good gust catches the bow just as you are planning to come alongside a finger, are suddenly a thing of the past.

Now wind blows bow off......no problem.... 2 second burst on the thruster and it is back where I wanted it. At the moment I cannot think of enough good things to say about my Sleipner SP35. It is a tiny unit with a small tunnel, the only complaint being that it is noisy because of the water velocity required in the small tunnel. Still cannot have everything.

Now I just cannot imagine being without it.

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm

stamfordian

Visit site
Cannot see why this boat needed to be under power the crew was already ashore??.
why didn,t he fender her up ??.
absolutly avoidable wife should have gone for assitance ie rope her and pull her in(the boat).Too many people afraid to as for assistance..might damage thier boat cred??

halcyon

Visit site

OK, slightly may be a bit much, but to port?, never had anything that dramatic, the Hurley 27 just sat there. When we fitted a 15 hp Vetus and 3 blade prop we went astern, and given around 100 yards sea room could see some movement as well, though totally compounded by a slight breeze.

Have yet to try the Halcyon 27 with the Sabb variable pitch prop, any bad experiance from this set up should be kept private, I do not wish to add a new engine to my many volumes of jobs oustanding.

Brian

david_e

He was in the boat, she was ashore - both useless IMHO. Main problem was this huge protuding anchor over the bow which caused the damage, solution would be to put protection on that but as they are 'park & launch' merchants, doubt that they would bother.

ccscott49

Visit site

Try using warps ashore, to limit your movement, then you can use them as springs etc. This is the only way I can manouver my boat, as she is a real pig at low speeds and opposingwind/tide. They will teach you thesae techniques on a training course.