Painting Fiberglass Boat Interior help!

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I don't have a problem with condensation since my yacht is well ventilated.

I went to one of our Australian hardware stores and spoke to their paint expert. I told him I wanted paint to paint the interior of my fiberglass yacht. He handed me a tin of (White) Rust Guard paint.
a9ce7f599d844a70b9ee21193693e2bd

When I said it was for a yacht he said"If you want a marine paint you can get the same paint from our marine sections at double the price".

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I don't have a problem with condensation since my yacht is well ventilated.

I went to one of our Australian hardware stores and spoke to their paint expert. I told him I wanted paint to paint the interior of my fiberglass yacht. He handed me a tin of (White) Rust Guard paint.
a9ce7f599d844a70b9ee21193693e2bd

When I said it was for a yacht he said"If you want a marine paint you can get the same paint from our marine sections at double the price".
On that tin it says " clean, treat, prime, topcoat". Take the hint and don't just slap that gloss paint on, willy nilly. A good clean with sugarsoap, a light sanding, remove the dust, mask up and give it a couple of coats of the compatible primer then follow up with a couple of coats of that gloss. You can get away with applying the second coat of gloss without sanding the first coat if you put it on as soon as the first area you painted has gone 'touch-dry'.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
On that tin it says " clean, treat, prime, topcoat". Take the hint and don't just slap that gloss paint on, willy nilly. A good clean with sugarsoap, a light sanding, remove the dust, mask up and give it a couple of coats of the compatible primer then follow up with a couple of coats of that gloss. You can get away with applying the second coat of gloss without sanding the first coat if you put it on as soon as the first area you painted has gone 'touch-dry'.

CLEAN Required for metal (remove flaking rust) (Dust off fiberglass)
TREAT Use a "rust converter to "kill" the rust. (Not required on fiberglass).
METAL PRIMER "Rust Guard Metal Primer paint by White Knight is a hard-wearing, durable primer that provides outstanding anti-corrosive rust protection to various kinds of metal surfaces " (Not required on fiberglass)
TOPCOAT Required for both metal and fiberglass

I've painted the bilge and have been walking on it for two years and there is no problem at all:D

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
CLEAN Required for metal (remove flaking rust) (Dust off fiberglass)
TREAT Use a "rust converter to "kill" the rust. (Not required on fiberglass).
METAL PRIMER "Rust Guard Metal Primer paint by White Knight is a hard-wearing, durable primer that provides outstanding anti-corrosive rust protection to various kinds of metal surfaces " (Not required on fiberglass)
TOPCOAT Required for both metal and fiberglass

I've painted the bilge and have been walking on it for two years and there is no problem at all:D
I still say that a virgin fibreglass surface before a finishing coat is applied.
There are a lot of people out there who think they can paint, but they obviously haven't had the Readers Digest New DIY Manual on their bookshelves for the last 45-odd years :) .

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I still say that a virgin fibreglass surface before a finishing coat is applied.
There are a lot of people out there who think they can paint, but they obviously haven't had the Readers Digest New DIY Manual on their bookshelves for the last 45-odd years :) .
I meant to say " I still think a virgin fibreglass surface should be primed before a finishing coat is applied." Should have proof-read :(