Paint the deck possibly (topside).

mikenfi

Visit site
Hello all,

Im back with another problem on my 43 year old sabe 27! This time its only cosmetic. Our topside is looking rather tired. We can jet yeash her and scrub her and she looks good alothough we can see that there are some stains on deck here and there. In addition this old boat is geing to be in the med very soon and i think the high temperatures and solar rays may start to make the deck deteriorate further. SO we are looking to make here look good and protect her from the solar rays.

I have never painted the topsides of a boat before. Im rather good at reconditioning hulls though. Could anyone reccomend a hardwearing topcoat and primer if necessary that is easy to apply and not going to flake off to quickly. I can see that they boat has has something like this done in the past as they simply painted over the name before they changed it...(i can still see the protuding letters) I would say that this was done around 15-20 years ago as that is around the time the name of the boat was changed to something unlucky before being changed back to her original name by the third owner, which we have kept as the 4th owners of this 40+ year old boat.

The deck os our sabre is GRP with a crisscross grip all over, So I guess I would need something not to thick otherwise I would loose my grip all round the boat, although I understand this can be rectified with some specific same in the paint.

Looking forward to your help.

thanks

mikenfi

Visit site
so i have been trawling the forums and people are recommending masionary paint if you dont mind renewing it every 2 -3 years which at this cost is just fine. I have noticed the sandtex and dulux weathertight names banded around. I have stumbled across this product. looks marine-ie!! has anyone used this? would anyone reccomend this. we have a few cracks around the stantions with a little sikaflex292 and this paint i think i can have the deck looking good as new? any opinions?

Sandtex Trade Xtreme Xposure Masonry Paint

Model STXX5M

Condition New

Product Size 5 Litres - The ultimate in weather and climate endurance. This smooth masonry paint has extreme resistance to dirt and pollution, has anti-carbonation concrete protection and high flexible which enables the product to cover and resist the re-appearance of hairline cracks.

Spreading rate up to 16 m2 per litre

Drying time Touch Dry 30 minutes, Recoatable 2-4 hours

Colour range For the full colour range please refer to our colour range literature

VOC EU limit value for this product (cat. A/c): 40g/l (2010). This product contains max 7g/l VOC

mikenfi

Visit site
So the article was good but I am not so in need of grip paint I just require a refreshed look I have a grip the paint will not fill untill i have at least 10 coats on there.

I need a smoth finish, would that mean I would be best with dulux weathertight as it seems to offer a smnooth finish as well as with sand.

thanks

Tammany

Visit site
Epoxy is the most hardwearing paint for the gloss areas. Masonry paint is used for the non slip areas.

Tranona

Visit site
So the article was good but I am not so in need of grip paint I just require a refreshed look I have a grip the paint will not fill untill i have at least 10 coats on there.

I need a smoth finish, would that mean I would be best with dulux weathertight as it seems to offer a smnooth finish as well as with sand.

thanks

Painting a deck is a massive task because to do it properly you have to strip every fitting off. You also have the problem of small areas and several changes of plane to deal with. The ideal is to spray it, but that would cost more than the boat is worth. The next best is a two pack but that generally needs care. The most practical solution is Toplac one pot but you still need the prep. You are likely to lose most of the non slip so be prepared to use Interdeck deck paint or better still Kiwigrip.

Along with the article from PBO also get hold of the booklet they published about their project boat. It has an excellent section on painting worn out old gel coat, discussing alternatives as well as showing how they went about it.