Padstow

snowleopard

Visit site
you can anchor outside the harbour but there is usually ample space inside. you must be prepared to raft up and accept that the tourists think you are there for their entertainment - peering through your hatches etc. in season the cafes & pubs are pretty crowded.

there are adequate showers etc. on the quay and rates aren't too bad.

we had no problem getting in & out despite 23 ft beam. when approaching the entrance, hug the shore for the last 50 yds.

wouldn't want to enter the estuary in heavy winds from west through north.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We've berthed there many times and it remains one of our favourite places. Berthing is all alongside the walls, so plenty of rafting and its consequences. This has never been a problem for me but others' experience may be different. Gates are only open for about 1.5 hours each side of HW. Anchoring in the channel is OK or you may be able to pick up a mooring. Harbourmaster will usually advise.

The entry has a bad reputation but I believe it to be exaggerated. I have both entered and left in W - NW 5 - 6 and there was barely a ripple in the channel on the north side of the bar at HW. I have walked along the cliff path to Stepper Point in a great deal of wind and still couldn't see that entry was dangerous. There's an article on Padstow in this month's YM.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Big bonus of going to Padstow. You get a christmas card every year!! Lovely place, one of my favourite. Getting theres another story!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
As others have said, you can anchor outside or raft inside. If you anchor outside in the deep bit near the harbour entrance (is it called the Pool?) the shelter is good and the water is deep enough for a keel boat to stay afloat. You have much more option for when you can leave if you do this. Getting ashore and into town is easy enough, the water is sheltered and shore not far away. There are safe sandy beaches to land on. Alternatively you can take your dinghy to the steps that the pleasure trip boats use by the harbour entrance.

The most dangerous part of anchoring near Padstow is the speed that the pleasure trip boats go up and down the Camel estruary. You need to cross their path in a dinghy to get to shore. I commented to the harbour master about this but he didn't think that they travelled too fast. I guess their dues keep him in his job so he is not inclined to restrict their business.

If you berth inside the harbour, the access times are pretty limited, but you can step straight off your boat and into the town.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>