Oxalyc Acid

Hephzibah

Visit site
I know that you use a solution of oxalyc acid to get the black stains out of wood. I've even bought some oxalyc acid crystals but what do I do now? I cant throw the crystals at the cabin sides.
Please does anybody know what the solution is, what neutralises it etc. Any guidance would be gratefully received

BrendanS

Visit site
Just keep adding the crystals to hot water slowly while stirring, until no more will dissolve.

It's a good idea to add wallpaper paste to thicken the mixture so it doesn't simply flow off.

No need to neutralise, just wash off with a hose or pressure washer after 10 minutes or so (not time critical)

ajc

Visit site
A & B bleach is in my opinion better on wood. Paint on the A, allow to soak in then apply the B, there will now be a slight chemical reaction and the black stains will come out. Oxalic is good for making Teak look like new but dosen't go so deep. My mast was black top to toe, liberal use of A & B now looks like new. Just wish I had the boat to stick it up on!

Hephzibah

Visit site
Thanks. Another great idea. As I've bought the crystals I'll give them a try but the bleach sounds clever and cheaper. I'm working on mahogany in this instance.

ccscott49

Visit site
Not a pressure washer on wood, Brendan, takes the soft wood (Pith) out, or you have to be very careful. Fine on GRP of course.

ashanta

Visit site
Why do you bother with such old fashioned remedy's when there are plenty of alternatives in very good and established timber merchants? Two part solutions are excellent and are available (with Instructions)

BrendanS

Visit site
Good point. I wasn't thinking of a full on blasting though, just a spray to wash it off (nozzle to wide, standing at a distance, type of thing)

Tisme

Visit site
If you want to neutralize Oxalic acid then use Borax (dissolved in water).

Having said that most people don't bother and you certainly don't need to use it when you are doing a job on GRP; lots of freshwater will get rid of the Oxalic acid.

I've only ever followed up with Borax when I've been varnishing wood. It's worthwhile to be absolutely sure that all the Oxalic acid is removed from the wood.