OVNI 32 - just a wild dream?

snorkmaiden

Visit site
Thinking of going to Med this summer - overland transport of Sadler 29 to South coast of France and carry on from there. BUT - I am aware that the Sadler is a great sea boat but ours suffers from the heat with comparatively little insulation and ventilation. We might go ahead and do it anyway, but I am wondering whether it is a good time to 'upgrade' to the boat we want next - considering an OVNI 32 IF we can find one and an owner ready to part with her. There were only 97 built. So I'm asking if any of you sharp eyed liveaboards have spotted one for sale - pretty much anywhere. We would also consider the 36 if it was an outrageous bargain.

Monique

Visit site
OVNI's were never a large production boat. However, if it was me, I would investigate its cousins, the Cigale line. (Not sure if they built them at the 31 foot size) These are better boats in my opinion...

SURVEY by an aluminum expert is imperative. :)

lindsay

Visit site
I transported my Sadler 29 overland to the Mediterranean in 1997 and have been here, full time single handed liveaboard, ever since. The port of delivery was Hyeres, and I was anchored at beautiful Porquerolles the next day.

I share your interest in Ovnis, but see very, very few around. Others on this forum can comment on the insulation and ventilation of the sandwich cored Sadlers compared with that of the aluminium Ovni, which I would have thought would not be all that great.

Actually, after 19 summers here I have never found those characteristics to be an issue. What you definitely do need is a Bimini top for the sun, snd a very sound engine. I also was very pleased to have installed early on a furling Facnor mainsail and a flexible 40 watt solar panel just in front of the instrument panel.For two people the 29 might be a bit cramped long term, but then I am single handed!

Good luck

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Our Sadler 34 has been in the Med for over ten years. The topsides on both the 29 and the 34 are foam filled, which eliminates condensation and probably keeps some of the heat out. However, it is the decks that really get hot, sunshine penetrates right through the GRP, which although double skinned is not foam filled. A long awning when at anchor and in port is a big help but overall the boat is perfectly OK. Photos show our prototype awning, over the bimini and extending well forward. This is brilliant in use as it allows air straight through but reflects much of the heat. We are currently making the Mk.2 version that extends forward to the mast and further aft. Supporting battens were changed a long time ago to Vango GRP tent poles.The second photo shows two windscoops in use, very pleasant in light breezes.

P1000696.jpg

P7220101_zps9apibz5n.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Not sure an ovni is any better as a Med boat than a Sadler. More orientated towards ocean sailing but with the ability to go shallow and dry out. Not really of much value in the Med. If you are going to sail a Lt in the Med and want to change your boat, then why not buy one already there and equipped. Surely better than shipping an old less than idealboat out there. Plenty of good boats for sale, particularly in Greece and southern Spain.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We would also consider the 36 if it was an outrageous bargain.

I had lunch with friends last week and they have just bought an Ovni 36 although haven't launched it yet. It is fully loaded with new Raymarine equipment and has only sailed one trip from the South coast to the East since the re-fit. From the photos it looks like a lovely boat and they are delighted with the deal. Doesn't help you I'm afraid, other than to point out that there are some real bargains around if you can afford to be patient.

Richard

Ric

Visit site
I don't see a lot of OVNIs in the Med - probably because they are not good Med boats. They are not good upwind due to the small and unprofiled centreboard, and are not good in light winds due to small rig and high weight. They are really better as offshore boats.

As others have said, if you are changing boat anyway, then buy one that is already in the Med and set up for sailing here.

lindsay

Visit site
If you add perserverance to patience, France is a good source of suitable yachts well prepared for Mediterranean sailing, despite initial high asking prices and frequently indifferent service via internet and websites. Deaing with foreigners is often just too much of a fag, even in these mulilingual times.

One option is to make a holiday of the whole business, fly easyjet to nice or marseille, hire a car and then *do" as much of the French coast that you have time for. Out of season 2 or 3 star hotels around 60 to 70 euros.

A friend recently acquired a 34 Hallberg Rassy for 25000 euros less than the asking price, plus 5k of extras. Another friend who was posted suddenly to another country,put up his new regatta boat for sale at 60k, and eventually sold it 2 years later for 25k.

Call on a lot of people, leave your name, email and fone number, and wait!

charles_reed

Visit site
As already opined by Tranona and Vyv, I doubt you'll find the Ovni any better as a Med cruiser than your current boat.
It will be hot, slow and lacking in living space (though not as much so as the Sadler).
If you were thinking of a circumnavigation it would be ideal.
Best bet, I reckon, and as already suggested, look for a boat already in the Med and set up for Med cruising. Get one between 10-12m loa (too many people for berths above that size).
Don't waste time, get to the Eastern Med as soon as possible.

snorkmaiden

Visit site
Our Sadler is non-standard - no sandwich core. thanks for the comments, though. I love our Sadler but have been seduced by the look and feel of the OVNI as a cruiser. An affair of the heart!

snorkmaiden

Visit site
The 34 is tempting - I have looked around a couple and still liked the 29 - but it's the old 'can't have everything story!
Thanks for the encouragement. We would have the tiniest bimini in the world! I am also seriously considering an anchor windlass or a lighter alloy anchor.

Summerway

Visit site
Thinking of going to Med this summer - overland transport of Sadler 29 to South coast of France and carry on from there. BUT - I am aware that the Sadler is a great sea boat but ours suffers from the heat with comparatively little insulation and ventilation. We might go ahead and do it anyway, but I am wondering whether it is a good time to 'upgrade' to the boat we want next - considering an OVNI 32 IF we can find one and an owner ready to part with her. There were only 97 built. So I'm asking if any of you sharp eyed liveaboards have spotted one for sale - pretty much anywhere. We would also consider the 36 if it was an outrageous bargain.

Summerway

Visit site
Hi I have an Ovni 32 in Falmouth and am planning to go on the market soon. Are you still looking? If so I can send you more information. George

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
I have OVNI 395 and just completed circumnavigation. OVNIs do sail to windward but not as closely as some fixed keel boats, are comfortable in equatorial climates and in temperate climes (fans and Eberspacher do the jobs), usually come with large genoa for Med sailing, have strong rig for Meltemi etc., shallow draft takes you places other boats cannot go. Seems perfect for Med to me.

snorkmaiden

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - you all had something interesting to say. Ouhe Autumn r Sadler 29 is unique in that the original owner nixed the double skin in favour of more storage space and a lateral galley. I think in my original post I really confounded 2 separate ideas. My dream round-the-world boat has always been the OVNI. We did take a trip to the S of France in the Autumn of 2016, after making this post. First we headed for the biggest OVNI broker in Brittany with a stock of around 16 of them in his yard, and came face to face with reality. We realised that the RTW trip was not for us, at this time. An elderly parent and a working life still anchoring my husband to the shore. But the trip S was worthwhile, and we could see that there are a number of good options for a Med. boat. My husband loved the aft cockpit boats - almost enough space for a studio. I'm afraid I nxed those on the grounds that there is no cockpit locker space. We did decide that the Bavaria 34 looks like a good and economical option. Now aboard Snork Maiden awaiting a survey. I feel change is coming. If the story interest you, watch this space - I am threatening to revive the blog https://snorkmaidenlog.blogspot.com/

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - you all had something interesting to say. Ouhe Autumn r Sadler 29 is unique in that the original owner nixed the double skin in favour of more storage space and a lateral galley. I think in my original post I really confounded 2 separate ideas. My dream round-the-world boat has always been the OVNI. We did take a trip to the S of France in the Autumn of 2016, after making this post. First we headed for the biggest OVNI broker in Brittany with a stock of around 16 of them in his yard, and came face to face with reality. We realised that the RTW trip was not for us, at this time. An elderly parent and a working life still anchoring my husband to the shore. But the trip S was worthwhile, and we could see that there are a number of good options for a Med. boat. My husband loved the aft cockpit boats - almost enough space for a studio. I'm afraid I nxed those on the grounds that there is no cockpit locker space. We did decide that the Bavaria 34 looks like a good and economical option. Now aboard Snork Maiden awaiting a survey. I feel change is coming. If the story interest you, watch this space - I am threatening to revive the blog https://snorkmaidenlog.blogspot.com/

An excellent choice of boat for the med. i have recounted here many times that I was dead set on either a Moody or Westerly centre cockpit boat for the med until I tried one out there - followed by a Bavaria 42. Opened my eyes to how unsuitable boats designed for Northern waters are out there. Sure, you can manage and many people do, but if starting from scratch why choose something that is inherently sub optimal?

Originally hoped to buy a 34 but the waiting list was too long so bought a 37 which was like a slightly shrunk 42. did the job perfectly.

Good that you now have experience of Med sailing which will help in kitting out your boat for a comfortable life afloat.

Bobc

Visit site
Why not take your Sadler down through the canals and look for a new boat once you get to the med. They're cheaper there and you might change your mind on what you want once you've been there for a year.