OVNI 32 - just a wild dream?

snorkmaiden

Visit site
Our Sadler draws 1.52 - might make it if the winter has filled the canal. I have heard that you should put a notice declaring your draft clearly displayed on bow (and stern, I guess). Actually probably couldn't spare the time either. I agree about buying a boat there, already kitted out for the job.

Tranona

Visit site
Our Sadler draws 1.52 - might make it if the winter has filled the canal. I have heard that you should put a notice declaring your draft clearly displayed on bow (and stern, I guess). Actually probably couldn't spare the time either. I agree about buying a boat there, already kitted out for the job.

You would have no problem in the main canal system but not the Canal du Midi. So unless the canal trip is high on the bucket list, buy your boat out there. You would have difficulty selling the Sadler there anyway for all the reasons discussed in this thread.

Greece or Spain are arguably the best places to buy for choice and ease of the transaction.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I must agree with Tranona about boat choice. We love our Sadler 34 but it must be said it is far from ideal for Mediterranean life. We have made many modifications to improve its suitability but if starting afresh I would buy a BenBavJen already out here.

Just an example. We berthed at a very small port in 25 knots of wind. Manoeuvring was tricky, using many switches from forward to astern to avoid hitting the breakwater, one a very close thing. Next day in similar conditions a modern 40 ft Beneteau was making the same entry. I was amazed at how easily he got around, never went astern once. Looked as easy as driving a car.