overnight mooring at Wallingford

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
we often stop at Wallingford for supplies, but have never overnighted there before, but looking to do just that next sunday.

Any hints or tips on the best place to moor. Which is quietest, the opposite side to the town but next to the campsite or better on the town side? Also planning to have sunday lunch at The Partridge, anyone been there? Also do you have to pay to moor there.

Actionmat

Visit site
Both can be quiet, it depends who you're moored up with. We had Mr Generator one night, so moved to the other side of the river, only to find that Mr Wood-Burningstove had taken up residence upwind of us.

On the town side, the chap comes round for mooring fees. On the pool side(it's managed by a different person or even different council)and I've yet to see anyone turn up.

On a nice day, you'll be lucky to get a mooring full stop, (but if you have a choice)my preference would be for the town side.
For no other reason than it's less of a walk to the pub and the excellent Italian, Avanti.

prof pat pending

Visit site
If you use the campsite side, they sometimes turn up in the morning to collect, but not always.
You can go to the office by the pool to pay up front, if you do they give you a code to the campsite showers and toilets.

Town side is town council, other side is county council iirc, they both charge around £5
And as mentioned above Avanti is excellent :)

Last edited:

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Personally prefer to moor on the town side. As others have said this is managed by the town and a collector comes round every morning.
Moorings other side are a joint venture between South Oxford council and EA. You are expected to pay at the pool office and will get access to the pool and showers etc.

Don't know The Partridge. The Post Office in the square is quite good though and there is an excellent Indian a little past the cross roads on the opposite side to Waitrose.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
If you carry on for a few minutes (going upstream) there are some quite nice spots under the willows on the town side. The bank is quite low there so it does depend on boat type, but then the bank is rather high closer to the bridge so its swings and roundabouts. It can be rather shallow under the trees. We only draw 2ft so don't really notice it but it could be a problem I suppose.

And you may get Mr Generator and Mr Coal Fire there (in June?) but Mr £8. Mooringfee won't turn up, unless things have changed since last year. I hope not as we usually stop for a day or two there during out summer jaunt on the yot and I hate paying mooring fees (except my shockingly expensive London residential thing that is !)

Actionmat

Visit site
And you may get Mr Generator and Mr Coal Fire there (in June?)

Last August. It was a barge and it smelt like burning plastic. As for the Genny's, they're all year round. I think that some boaters don't realise that leisure batteries are a good alternative and you can even run a telly off them.