Overnight Anchorages/Moorings on Arran

dje67

Visit site
Looking for some recommendations for 'off the beaten track' places to overnight around Arran (Clyde). Been to Brodick, Lochranza, Holy Isle and Whiting Bay many times, but want to do a 'round Arran' trip over 4-5 days and find some different places to stay overnight Ideally, good holding (though winds look light next week), something interesting to do ashore (nice cafe/pub) and some gentle walks ashore.

Thanks.

penfold

Visit site
There are NAC moorings at Pirnmill also. There are many places you could anchor off provided the wind's in the right direction, some in the CCC guide, others just look for the right depth and a decent bottom and give it a try.

dje67

Visit site
Anyone know if Pladda island is useable overnight? Have stopped the briefly a couple of times, but it was quite rolly. Same question for stops on the west side - any swell from the south make it’s way up the sound?

Stooriefit

Visit site
There were moorings at Blackwaterfoot - I used one a few years back. You need to be very careful on the way into them from either N or S as there are lost of shallow shelves. Very comfortable night and that was in October - visited by an otter in the morning. You might struggle to get ashore there as the little harbour dries, You can also stop off at Carradale on the Kintyre side of Arran - this has three moorings or the harbour on the N or the wonderful sandy bay on the S. Depending on your size you might manage into Port Righ on the E side of Carradale.

Bodach na mara

Visit site
It depends on your tolerance of discomfort in most cases. Going clockwise starting with Lochranza, I have had several comfortable nights there but also a few very bad ones. It was OK in southerly winds but there were strong gusts however twice the wind direction changed overnight to become northerly. Although the strength was not excessive at force 3 the chop made life unpleasant and the crew insisted on an early exit. Mind you that has happened in Rothesay as well when there were moorings off the lido. And at Carradale. See later.

There's nowhere that I would consider spending the night travelling south until you reach Brodick. I have been there twice this year and on both occasions a light SE wind has generated an amazing steep chop but overall I think that it is the best anchorage on Arran. Lamlash is pretty good as well although exposed to south and east. The moorings were always far too close together in th past and I have not been in for over 5 years. Space for anchoring is limited near the village but there are several other places within the shelter of Holy Isle but the shore around the island itself is steep-to. I have spent one night off Whiting Bay in the last 60 years but it was in a spell of very settled weather.

Plada is described by Bob Bradshaw in his Antares Charts as impossible. The channel is now rated impassable. I went through it in 1970 in my ancient 6-metre which drew 4 ft. 6 inches an hour before high water with my wife (of 3 days) on the foredeck directing me. We are still married btw.

I have never considered anchoring anywhere on the west coast of Arran. The vista of the wide open water over 180 degrees from south thro west to north worries me. I have noticed moored boats on the coast but I am not attracted. The Kintyre shore is more inviting. At least it is sheltered from the prevailing westerlies. I have had pleasant nights around Carradale in Torrisdale bay and have anchored in Carradale bay (known locally as "the big bay"), Port Righ and Port na Coul. There are visitors' moorings in the latter but I had an unpleasant morning there. A fresh southerly blew up during the night and although the area is sheltered the swell up the sound diffracted round the point and hit us beam-on causing the boat to roll gunwales under. This was the 6-metre a I was feeling rather ill by the time I had got the Seagull into it's mounting on the side and started, hoping that there was fuel in the tank as there was no way I could have put any in.

I have sailed this area for many years and I am hoping to make the same trip in the next few days. Good luck and if you see Sea Hawk come over.

dunedin

Visit site
Anyone know if Pladda island is useable overnight? Have stopped the briefly a couple of times, but it was quite rolly. Same question for stops on the west side - any swell from the south make it’s way up the sound?
I would certainly be happy to anchor overnight at Pladda Island - in the right conditions. Which would be modest winds from a westerly direction. There will always be a risk of swell curling round from the SW, but the tides could influence this.

But "in the right conditions" applies to everywhere around Arran. I don't consider anywhere on Arran an all wind directions haven - though Lamlash could be considered such, if include the Holy Island anchorage for Easterlies along with the Lamlash village moorings/anchorage.

To do a 4-5 day trip round and have perfect conditions on E, S and W sides would require a degree of luck more even than a winning lottery ticket!
Adding the Kintyre shore, as above, increases the odds substantially.

dje67

Visit site
Many thanks to those that offered valuable info. We’re on our way anti-clockwise round Arran from Largs. Forecast wind is all over the place over the next few days, so it’ll be a mystery tour! Suspect it’ll end up being a mixture of Arran and Kintyre so that we get a peaceful nights sleep. Will look out for Sea Hawk.