Over-wintering onboard in Europe in an interesting place

Chanticleer

Visit site
We have drawn a blank on getting a winter berth in Paris and Lyon!

We will be sauntering on down through Netherlands, Belgium and France and still trying to find a place to over-winter living aboard, in an interesting sizeable town. Maybe in the South of France? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Visit site
We have drawn a blank on getting a winter berth in Paris and Lyon!

We will be sauntering on down through Netherlands, Belgium and France and still trying to find a place to over-winter living aboard, in an interesting sizeable town. Maybe in the South of France? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Unless you are particularly fond of the French why not move farther south to better weather ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If you are looking at going as far has the south of France , there a few pontoon on the Rhone before you leave the river that you could winter on but there no power or water .Marina wise there two I can think of that have a small liveabourd community one is in the navy services Marina the other is Port napoleons Marina both are working marinas and can be dusty at times , there is also a quay not far from the town after you exit the lock that partly belong to the sails maker he might be willing to let you stay there and supply you with power and water .
France is a lovely country and the French can be has friendly and has kind as any other nation so I would disregard any comment made about them in any of the YBW forum .

Last edited:

blampied

Visit site
Hi
We intended on living on the boat South Coast of France last winter,
but we gave up and flew home to Jersey where it's warmer.

We hadn't banked on The South of France overnight getting colder than the North of France.
It's to do with the Pyrenees one side and Alps the other and predominate winds blowing cold air down off the mountains.
We have been told for a reasonable warm live board climate you need to be at Barcelona or south of it.
With that in mind we are headed for the old city of Cartagena two thirds of the way down the Spanish coast for this winter, the harbour is in the middle of the city and apparently there tends to be a community due to a large number of UK boats overwintering there.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hi

We hadn't banked on The South of France overnight getting colder than the North of France.
It's to do with the Pyrenees one side and Alps the other and predominate winds blowing cold air down off the mountains.
We have been told for a reasonable warm live board climate you need to be at Barcelona or south of it.
With that in mind we are headed for the old city of Cartagena two thirds of the way down the Spanish coast for this winter, the harbour is in the middle of the city and apparently there tends to be a community due to a large number of UK boats overwintering there.

Good choice I reckon, like it. Worth trying to be there by 18th September for this years Romans and Carthaginians. Awesome!

http://allexciting.com/romans-carthaginians/

Visit site
We just left Avignon,
Mooring just past the broken bridge, right next to town, €170 for a 11m boat per month, (high season, low season starts 01/09).
Includes water and electric. Free washing machine, clean shower, wifi in office block and fuel available.
I Left the boat there for a week to pop home and all was fine, woudent like to leave for to long but if wintering aboard
I think it would be great.
TGV station close by, shuttle from Avignon central

Visit site
I think you'll find that was the old run down (called a marina "in it's day") PDP but I think the town key and the "push pull" ferry terminal has been there, a while and going by the three long term boats they weren't complaining.
Apparently there's a new purpose built Marina being built for 250 + boats, opening in 2018,
Couldn't see anything to suggest that but yer never know.

Visit site
Also I would agree that "Chalon sur Saone" is a great place and a good place to leave the boat if having to shoot home.
Good town in a lot of diffrent ways

tcm

Visit site
Hi

Umm, there's a lot more to see and do in Barca than there is in Cartagena. I'd go to Barca (esp if Paris or lyons were other options, and Barca still isn't as good as Paris, not really, except of course er you can go sailing....)

basic

Visit site
Hi

Try Brest, Moulin Blanc. No problem living aboard, winter price deals, lovely staff, mild winters. Wintered here for many years now. PM me if you need any info.

Jegs

Visit site
I'd not fancy Chalon s Saone - too exposed to river. Valence should be fine but my preference would be Macon. Do not expect warmer than uk weather in any of 'em.

ATB,

John G