Outdrives!! stainless steel screwed into aluminium alloy.

kashurst

Visit site
Fortunately not stuck, but I have cleaned up the parts. I was going to use copper grease, but it's going into water for a long time.
What is teh best grease to use with stainless steel into aluminium kept underwater?

Thanks all.

Momac

Visit site
I use white marine grease on the prop splines and also on the driveshaft .
The props come of easily after 2 years. I used the same recently o other components .
The Granville tin came to hand first although I have some K99 somewhere. .
Screenshot 2024-02-18 17.08.16.png
Screenshot 2024-02-18 17.07.15.png

BruceK

Visit site
You are are actually looking for a barrier grease if dissimilar metal corrosion is what you dont want then the following lot should be kept in the tool box. Engine, fittings and outdrive

Duralac barrier grease
Molykote 1000
Permatex 77134

Ribtecer

Visit site
My outdrive has s/s studs going in to the aluminium with nylock nuts on the studs to hold it all together, so when taking it apart for maintenance it's stainless on stainless. ie no bolts.

Getting those studs out could be a problem, hope I never have to.

kashurst

Visit site
You are are actually looking for a barrier grease if dissimilar metal corrosion is what you dont want then the following lot should be kept in the tool box. Engine, fittings and outdrive

Duralac barrier grease
Molykote 1000
Permatex 77134
Thanks for replying. Is Molykote 1000 OK underwater, it has some copper in it?

BruceK

Visit site
No. Duralac and some PTFE greases already mentioned above for outdrives. Duralac hardens though. No more lost gearbox covers etc. The other two are more for engine where many are into aluminium fittings. Intakes, water cooled exhaust manifolds and turbo bolts.

BruceK

Visit site
Edit. I dont like soft greases in aluminium as it throws out torque settings. I hate stripping ali threads

BruceK

Visit site
I thought Duralac looked like good stuff but the safety data sheet says it is very highly toxic.

Maybe the others are similarly not healthy.
Almost everything you use on a boat is either toxic or harmful. Keep disposable gloves in the toolbox.