Outdrives & Servicing

muckypup

Visit site
How often do outdrives need servicing? Every year? Every so many miles? Combination of both? Any rough ideas on how much an outdrive will cost to service?

S.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
My understanding is that they need servicing every year, alternately a little service and a big service. The little service is an oil change and anodes, a big service is the same but with bellows as well. Main dealer prices are pretty scary for this stuff, from my experience with Volvo drives the little service is about £200 per drive, and the big one £600 per drive.

Cheers
Jimmy

mont

Visit site
For what its worth my view ....
On Volvo leg was told / recommended / common view is ..
Annual. Inspect out of water, good check round, cable, linkages, fittings, springs, seals, bellows (mainly drive bellow) and full grease up. Props off and refit (greased). Anodes as needed. Oil change for what it costs and to check oil condition for water ingress. Touch up paint & antifoul if needed. DIY Bits £20 oil / £45 anodes, aqua grease £1. Time 4 hrs ??
Bi-annual.
Remove drive and re-bush main pins (the bushes are designed to wear not the pins). Change drive bellow (max 2 years life). Change exhaust bellow if hardened. Remove steering yolk - check seals and re-grease up, new bushes. Then as per annual plus Drive bellow £35, bushes £20. About 8 hours ?? but spare hands/ help needed.

Every 1000 hrs.
Major strip down recommended and internal inspection.
Head re-con (clutch / engagement unit) £500 ish at Coastal rides. Lower gearbox rebuild £1200 at CR. Repaint etc

Also needed ...
Volvo DIY manual - very helpful - £25
Workshop manual - very useful for more techi bits - £30

Professional cost of above - not sure - depends what they will actually do / charge you for bits. Two expensive basic jobs with 'experts' sent me DIY. The books told me about the bits they dont seem to bother with, like greasing and checking for breaking cables and missing seals .... I dispair.

mont

Visit site
VP dealers who like DIY customers. They are usually a little out of area so mail order is best.
Try Volspec, request the DIY manual recent edition for your engine / drive / shaft set up, very recommended.
Designed for diy use so pretty straightforward - lots of forgotten jobs in it plus colour wiring diagrams for engines / dash set up.
Workshop manuals are on internet.

jimh

Visit site
I bought my workshop manual from Keypart (mail order - www.keypart.com). Self serviced this year no problem - off and back on in leisurely 2 days. Agree you need 2 pairs of hands for back on bit.

Peanuts

Visit site
Saw you come up to Arne the other weekend, you dropped the hook just behind me and another forumite.
What engines/outdrives do you have in your 275 - KAD 32's with 290DP-E by any chance?

Other threads that may be of interest