Outdated charts

G

When I bought my current boat it came with over 150 charts that have not been corrected since 1996. What should I do with them. I am very reluctant to recycle them, there are updates on ukho website form 2000 so should I apply these, could they be used as back uo for electronic system. Obviously a significant fact is that the chart datum has changed on many of them which makes updating them more difficult. Any thoughts?

ccscott49

Visit site
If youve got any of the meddy, I'll re-cycle them for you aboard my boat. things don't change much down here, especially positions of islands etc. The rest, well you could correct them, but if you have electronic charts, keep them as backup and correct the ones you are likely to need, where necessary from your electronic ones.

Shanty

Visit site
First thing to do is check which are current editions. Just about guarantee anything from South or East Coast of England will be cancelled. However, you may well find that some West Coast UK, and Irish charts are still current. You will find a pdf file on the HO website that gives the current edition dates of all their charts. Anything current can safely be used, once it has been corrected up to date. As you say, you can get corrections from 2000 from the HO website. Prior to that, you will need to track down paper copies of the relevent Notices to Mariners.

Cancelled charts should not be relied on for navigational purposes. Having said that, look at what is charted - if its mud or sand, ditch them, if its rock, its up to you.

BTW, I'm looking for current edition charts of the Irish Sea / Irish waters, so if you've got any you don't want, pm me & we may be able to do a deal.

G

I\'ll have \'em ....

Bilge keels and shallow draft ....

Mk1 eyeball + llok-out / echo-sounder / etc. assists with rest of it.

Paper charts out of date - passage planning / casual use etc.

I have some charts going back to black and white days and fathoms ....

Officially bin those concelled, correct the others. Unofficially - I'd still use most of 'em. Buy new where its important and prudent ......

Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

Dominic

Visit site
Use them.

Land will not have changed much - subject to vaolcanic eruptions , new breakwaters and reclaiming.

Lights are always changing - use latest pilot book.

Apply common sense.

Some of these charts are only 6 years old - but based on a survey in 1852