Outboard or inboard

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
As I research our first 7 to 8mtr boat options we have concentrated on inboard. Now the outboards are catching my attention. Particularly a Merry Fisher 790. Not exactly what we need but a good compromise particularly in relation to price for newer models.
Pro's & cons in going the outboard route? Not mechanical minded a newish boat with warranties is tempting. It has a 200hp Suzuki, in troll mode will this be good for river speeds?

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
As I research our first 7 to 8mtr boat options we have concentrated on inboard. Now the outboards are catching my attention. Particularly a Merry Fisher 790. Not exactly what we need but a good compromise particularly in relation to price for newer models.
Pro's & cons in going the outboard route? Not mechanical minded a newish boat with warranties is tempting. It has a 200hp Suzuki, in troll mode will this be good for river speeds?
Will be used mainly on the East Coast

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Which bit of east coast? Not great availability of petrol in many east coast areas. If you have it locally, and don't want to travel far, then no problem at all. A diesel inboard will be much cheaper to run and fuel is more widely available. Outboard slightly easier and cheaper to service. Horses for courses, but fuel availability would be my main concern.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Based on River Crouch

Well in that case, fuel locally is not a problem as you have Essex Marina. The problem will come about of you want to go anywhere. Blackwater is OK as Bradwell has it. Further north there is supplies on the Orwell but then nothing. Going South you have Gillingham on the Medway, and Ramsgate. As long as you have the range, this does give you some decent cruising options, but a trip up the Thames might be difficult, as would further exploration of the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts.

You could, range permitting, actually travel all the way along the South coast as far as Cornwall. The Channel islands are also in reach, as are parts of France. On the whole, it's not too bad an area to be based, as long as your full tank will give you at least 100 miles with 25% or more spare. It then just comes down to the cost, If you are doing these long trips, diesel once again becomes king, not just because of supply, but also cost. You could be looking at up to twice the fuel costs, like for like, between petrol outboard and diesel inboard.

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
So that is one downside I had not considered. Lack of petrol in marina's. What is the cost comparison white diesel and petrol as red I hear is coming to a end for leisure use. Are the fuel burn differences the reason for doubling costs on longer trips?

Petrol available on Suffolk, Essex, Kent coast from East Coast Pilot book.
Suffolk Yacht Harbour, River Orwell
Bradwell Marina, Blackwater
Essex Marina, Crouch
Gillingham Marina, Medway
Chatham Maratime Marina, Medway
Ramsgate

Not sure what is available on the Norfolk Broads or Upper Thames?

Merry Fisher has 280 litre tank
(a forum on Norfolk Broads quotes 3 litres per hr @ 5mph for his 200hp)

Cant find anything north of River Orwell when we want to cruise the Broads coming up from the Crouch. Any thoughts?

Rappey

Visit site
Advantages of an outboard are one hell of a lot more quiet, nearly zero vibration through the hull. Being able to beach. Being able to lift the propellor if fouled on a rope.
Lots more space in the boat. Cheaper to buy and a lighter boat.

ontheplane

Visit site
Flat out - Suzuki will burn about 70 litres an hr - equivalent diesel about 35?

Cruising again about half with the diesel

However top speed higher with the outboard, and not a lot in it at trolling speed.

Availability of fuel is an issue with outboard.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Advantages of an outboard are one hell of a lot more quiet, nearly zero vibration through the hull. Being able to beach. Being able to lift the propellor if fouled on a rope.
Lots more space in the boat. Cheaper to buy and a lighter boat.

All true. Although noise levels at high speeds are not as quiet as some would have you believe.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
So that is one downside I had not considered. Lack of petrol in marina's. What is the cost comparison white diesel and petrol as red I hear is coming to a end for leisure use. Are the fuel burn differences the reason for doubling costs on longer trips?

Petrol available on Suffolk, Essex, Kent coast from East Coast Pilot book.
Suffolk Yacht Harbour, River Orwell
Bradwell Marina, Blackwater
Essex Marina, Crouch
Gillingham Marina, Medway
Chatham Maratime Marina, Medway
Ramsgate

Not sure what is available on the Norfolk Broads or Upper Thames?

Merry Fisher has 280 litre tank
(a forum on Norfolk Broads quotes 3 litres per hr @ 5mph for his 200hp)

Cant find anything north of River Orwell when we want to cruise the Broads coming up from the Crouch. Any thoughts?

Once you get on the Thames you will be OK, as you will use very little and there is petrol available form Marinas such as Shepperton and probably Penton Hook, Bray and Windsor. It's just whether you have the range to get to Sheppeton form the Crouch, particular if you have to go around the Maplin sands, which is the usual plan to catch the tide going up. Could, if you are feeling brave, go through Havengore and save quite a bit of fuel and mileage.

The Broads may be an issue. Last fuel stop will be SYH on the Orwell. Not even sure I remmeber ever seeing petrol available waterside on the broads at all, although I may be wrong, but I think the Orwell to Lowestoft is only about 50 miles, so if you can find some on the broads, you should be OK

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
Suzuki 200hp lean burn mag article.
We tested a Suzuki DF200ATX on the back of a 6.3m Tournament 2000 Bluewater fibreglass half cabin. The boat is listed as having a hull weight (dry) of 960kg.
PERFORMANCE - SPEED
3.2kts (6.0km/h) @ 1000rpm
5.0kts (9.2km/h)@ 1500rpm
6.4kts (11.8km/h) @ 2000rpm
7.9kts (14.6km/h) @ 2500rpm
13.5kts (25.0km/h) @ 3000rpm
19.8kts (36.6km/h) @ 3500rpm
24.6kts (45.5km/h) @ 4000rpm
29.2kts (54.0km/h) @ 4500rpm
32.2kts (59.6km/h) @ 5000rpm
36.0kts (66.6km/h) @ 5500rpm
38.6kts (71.4km/h) @ 6000rpm
40.1kts (74.2km/h) @ 6200rpm (WOT)
PERFORMANCE – ECONOMY
2.7 l/ph @ 1000rpm
4.5 l/ph @ 1500rpm
6.1 l/ph @ 2000rpm
10.1 l/ph @ 2500rpm
13.3 l/ph @ 3000rpm
16.9 l/ph @ 3500rpm
23.8 l/ph @ 4000rpm
27.8 l/ph @ 4500rpm
35.4 l/ph @ 5000rpm
41.9 l/ph @ 5500rpm
66.0 l/ph @ 6000rpm
68.8 l/ph @ 6200rpm (WOT)

I think?
Based on the Merry Fisher 790 with a 280l tank and 20% reserve of 56 l leaves 224l @ 1.17 nm per litre = 262 miles for 3000rpm giving 20knots.
Although the 790 is 1.3 mtr longer and heavier than the test boat.

Bouba

Visit site
Outboards are cheaper and easier to service, being able to raise your propeller in the air is a huge avantage, clearing ropes and your fishing lines, beaching or very shallow water running in rivers etc.
Swapping an outboard is easy peasy, try changing an inboard! Modern outboards are super reliable, put a big Honda on the back and you would feel confident crossing the Atlantic. Easy to adjust your trim. More room in the boat. Much easier to tow boat on a trailer.
On the downside, they are easy to steal. As are bits of them like the cowling and props. And the fuel availability. And, because of taxation differences (red diesel) the fuel costs is a disadvantage. Normally I would say that the cost of fuel is not relevant in the big picture but in the U.K. it is.
If you were anywhere but the UK, I would say outboard all day long

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Outboards are cheaper and easier to service, being able to raise your propeller in the air is a huge avantage, clearing ropes and your fishing lines, beaching or very shallow water running in rivers etc.
Swapping an outboard is easy peasy, try changing an inboard! Modern outboards are super reliable, put a big Honda on the back and you would feel confident crossing the Atlantic. Easy to adjust your trim. More room in the boat. Much easier to tow boat on a trailer.
On the downside, they are easy to steal. As are bits of them like the cowling and props. And the fuel availability. And, because of taxation differences (red diesel) the fuel costs is a disadvantage. Normally I would say that the cost of fuel is not relevant in the big picture but in the U.K. it is.
If you were anywhere but the UK, I would say outboard all day long
Done !! ....... :cool:

C08

Visit site
Which bit of east coast? Not great availability of petrol in many east coast areas. If you have it locally, and don't want to travel far, then no problem at all. A diesel inboard will be much cheaper to run and fuel is more widely available. Outboard slightly easier and cheaper to service. Horses for courses, but fuel availability would be my main concern.
I am not sure that is a fact as outboard main agents are unanimous that I have to have my boat lifted for them to service the outboard. That putsa considerable cost onto the routine service cost.

Bouba

Visit site
I am not sure that is a fact as outboard main agents are unanimous that I have to have my boat lifted for them to service the outboard. That putsa considerable cost onto the routine service cost.
Get a trailer and take the boat out the water and tow it to the their workshop. And on your way back fill up with some supermarket fuel

Reactions: C08

Momac

Visit site
Suzuki 200hp lean burn mag article.
We tested a Suzuki DF200ATX on the back of a 6.3m Tournament 2000 Bluewater fibreglass half cabin. The boat is listed as having a hull weight (dry) of 960kg.
PERFORMANCE - SPEED
3.2kts (6.0km/h) @ 1000rpm
5.0kts (9.2km/h)@ 1500rpm
6.4kts (11.8km/h) @ 2000rpm
7.9kts (14.6km/h) @ 2500rpm
13.5kts (25.0km/h) @ 3000rpm
19.8kts (36.6km/h) @ 3500rpm
24.6kts (45.5km/h) @ 4000rpm
29.2kts (54.0km/h) @ 4500rpm
32.2kts (59.6km/h) @ 5000rpm
36.0kts (66.6km/h) @ 5500rpm
38.6kts (71.4km/h) @ 6000rpm
40.1kts (74.2km/h) @ 6200rpm (WOT)
PERFORMANCE – ECONOMY
2.7 l/ph @ 1000rpm
4.5 l/ph @ 1500rpm
6.1 l/ph @ 2000rpm
10.1 l/ph @ 2500rpm
13.3 l/ph @ 3000rpm
16.9 l/ph @ 3500rpm
23.8 l/ph @ 4000rpm
27.8 l/ph @ 4500rpm
35.4 l/ph @ 5000rpm
41.9 l/ph @ 5500rpm
66.0 l/ph @ 6000rpm
68.8 l/ph @ 6200rpm (WOT)

I think?
Based on the Merry Fisher 790 with a 280l tank and 20% reserve of 56 l leaves 224l @ 1.17 nm per litre = 262 miles for 3000rpm giving 20knots.
Although the 790 is 1.3 mtr longer and heavier than the test boat.
If correct that looks like similar or perhaps lower fuel consumption than a diesel