Outboard or inboard

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Outboards are MUCH cheaper to service. Outdrives are the work of the devil in my view!

I had a lift and hold last week and pressure washed hull and oil changes etc. Done in a few hours....

As far as stealing outboards go, then good luck lifting a 300 kg deadweight off my transom!

I can change my impeller in 5 minutes while the boat is in the water, even when out at sea which is when it is likely to go. How bout you?
An outboard is cheaper to service than a separate engine/sterndrive combo, but not anywhere near enough to make it a factor when it comes to choosing. It is also easier (hence cheaper I guess) but again not enough to make me go down that route.

As for not being stolen due to weight, you really are kidding yourself. The bigger the outboard, the more money in it for the lowlife. It just means they come better equipped.

Outboards have their place and some applications are definitely more suited to them, but on a cruising boat I would choose diesel every time.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
My 2 cents..

If an engine is inside a boat, ti must be diesel and must be on shafts.
If an engine is petrol, i must be outboard.

Shafts work for Maersk so I'm confident with mine.. hence sterndrives are unwanted (unless you have an urge to contribute to the manufacturers' pension plans).

It is beyond discussion that maintenance, service , repair or even replacement is so, so much easier with an outboard: Remove the cowling and you have full access. Replacement or repower is bolt-off bolt-on.

In many places however the insurance cost for o/b is higher due to risk of theft.

In that event you can rely on the usual assisitance from your authoritites ? and therefore must ensure your insurance is covering, paid and valid.

Last edited:

ChromeDome

Visit site
On the cost calculation make sure you factor in all cost drivers for your actual use. For example, fuel is consumed by engines only when at work and proportional to the amount of work performed.

The average number of engine hours per year tend to be only a fraction of what people hoped/budgetted for.

ontheplane

Visit site
On the cost calculation make sure you factor in all cost drivers for your actual use. For example, fuel is consumed by engines only when at work and proportional to the amount of work performed.

The average number of engine hours per year tend to be only a fraction of what people hoped/budgetted for.

Yes but also factor in whether money is "spent" or "invested" - so most is spent, moorings, fuel, insurance etc. But the boat itself is invested, so if your diesel costs more to buy you will get it back come resale, they won't give you the fuel back!

I found putting £400 in the boat of a weekend 26' with a carb 5.7 petrol) just took all the pleasure away.....

Somehow its less painful paying for moorings or other stuff!

ChromeDome

Visit site
Huh. Money invested in a boat commonly are spent, in realty.
Depreciation on boats is a very uncertain calcultation. Resale is about engine configuration AND A LOT of other parameters.

You are selling to someone looking for a dream come true which is not an exact science.

Personally I've had the luck to avoid loss on the boats (7) I've owned over time (52 years), regardless of engine type. Buying at right price, investing(!) in faultless upkeep, running upgrades and trustworthy marketing that stood out from the main stream made it for me. Relentless servicing (sometimes beyond fair expectation) of serious buyers closed the deal.

ontheplane

Visit site
Yes, and I am coming round to the fact that outboards make sense on smaller boats - but once you get over 25' I think the diesel still is the right choice with the fuel availability.

Boat on a trailer and used as a dayboat outboards fine.

Boat used as a cruiser for longer trips diesel still wins.

I note no-one has mentioned the new diesel outboards yet - I take it they haven't taken off?

ChromeDome

Visit site
I can't disagree on the diesel feasibility matter. I'm currently on a 7½ tonne planing cruiser with 2x175 hp diesel engines and alone the hull design (tunnels for props) would make outboards a no-no on that hull.

Diesel outboards to me makes no sense at todays state. Like inboards, just taking the latest car engine and tweak into a marine unit doesn't cut it.

Give me something that has proven reliability and ruggedness, preferably without ECU's, at a reasonable liter/hp ratio. Like a Cummins 5.9... :giggle: or something of that philosophy.

gordmac

Visit site
Another consideration is E10 is coming. A modern engine should be fine using it but older ones maybe not. There seems to be an issue with the alcohol absorbing moisture though.

Bouba

Visit site
I can't disagree on the diesel feasibility matter. I'm currently on a 7½ tonne planing cruiser with 2x175 hp diesel engines and alone the hull design (tunnels for props) would make outboards a no-no on that hull.

Diesel outboards to me makes no sense at todays state. Like inboards, just taking the latest car engine and tweak into a marine unit doesn't cut it.

Give me something that has proven reliability and ruggedness, preferably without ECU's, at a reasonable liter/hp ratio. Like a Cummins 5.9... :giggle: or something of that philosophy.
Honda’s vtec engines are straight out of cars. And it’s my favorite outboard ?

GARYSJENKINS

Visit site
One comment says outboard quieter and less hull vibration. The laughable thing is we have no friends or family with a boat so even the trip experience of a coastal boat is unknown to us.We feel seasick on the channel ferry but that's not putting us off from a retirement dream. Appreciate all the various info. Lambs to the slaughter when we visit a broker. ?

Bouba

Visit site
One comment says outboard quieter and less hull vibration. The laughable thing is we have no friends or family with a boat so even the trip experience of a coastal boat is unknown to us.We feel seasick on the channel ferry but that's not putting us off from a retirement dream. Appreciate all the various info. Lambs to the slaughter when we visit a broker. ?
The other advantage to outboards is that you can choose which brand, how powerful and how many engines you want. Diesel boats are lucky to have two options.
If you can’t decide between inboard or outboard, then don’t ! Just choose the boat you want the most. And accept whatever engine it comes with

C08

Visit site
I have had outboard main engines on my sailing cat for twenty years and I have a strong suspicion that an outboard engine does not have the longevity of an inboard diesels. Exposed to the elements, potential corrosion, power tilt seals and other seals have a finite life; all in all my engines seemed to be past their best by the time the warranty (7 years ) was up. That would be with only 300-400 hours on the clock.
Outboard engines are not as quiet as inboards in my experience.

Bouba

Visit site
I have had outboard main engines on my sailing cat for twenty years and I have a strong suspicion that an outboard engine does not have the longevity of an inboard diesels. Exposed to the elements, potential corrosion, power tilt seals and other seals have a finite life; all in all my engines seemed to be past their best by the time the warranty (7 years ) was up. That would be with only 300-400 hours on the clock.
No problem, they are easy to replace???

C08

Visit site
No problem, they are easy to replace???
Easy is a relative word-100kg for a 25HP engine requires a crane or hoist as does an inboard and getting on for £5k not much cheaper than a similar inboard. So writing down the initial cost over the life of the engine I suspect an inboard diesel works out much cheaper than a petrol outboard apart from the fuel cost and (non) availability of waterside petrol in many parts of the country.