Outboard Engine as hold luggage?

kaal

Visit site
Anybody had any experience of transporting an outboard engine as 'hold luggage' on a flight from the UK to mainland Europe?

Is it possible?

ksutton

Visit site
Don't see why not if it complies to airline baggage size and weight, also is free of oil and fuel, would imagine it would be easy for something up to 5 hp.
It would need attention to packing, strapped to a shaped hardboard or plywood base, maybe a second shaped plywood sheet on top with wood spacers screwed in between.
It could then go into a suitable sized strong holdall, I have carried a folding bike back from Palma that way recently, it arrived in good order but I knew it was at risk from being thrown about.

MASH

N/A
Visit site
Jesus! Do you really imagine that anything with a petrol tank might be allowed in an aeroplane, whether the tank is empty of liquid fuel or the far more dangerous - and impossible to remove - vapour?

Get real!

Forget it.

And if people who know less chose to advise you differently, the penalty for engangering the safety of an aircraft is almost unlimited.

macd

Visit site
Jesus! Do you really imagine that anything with a petrol tank might be allowed in an aeroplane, whether the tank is empty of liquid fuel or the far more dangerous - and impossible to remove - vapour?

Get real!

Forget it.

And if people who know less chose to advise you differently, the penalty for engangering the safety of an aircraft is almost unlimited.

Calm down. It's still early.

"Impossible to remove"? Don't be daft.

"Endangering the aircraft" could scarcely arise in practice...unless you think security's so poor they wouldn't notice a metre-long outboard. If they let it on, it's their problem.

First task for the OP is to ask the airline. You might get a more measured response.

Assuming a small outboard, fuel tank can easily be removed and shoved in another item of luggage.

Last edited:

EugeneR

Visit site
If it's ever had petrol in it, it won't go.

I looked into this a while ago, and it was clearly stated in airline rules and guidance.

All_at_Sea

Visit site
O/B ok

Yes l have done this twice. We emptied the tank and left it to dry completely over a couple of days. We also left the oil in the g/box but drained the engine oil (4 stroke Honda 2.3hp). We then packed it in bubble wrap and put card around the prop shaft as we had taken the prop off.

It gets scanned at the airport through the large luggage section and that was that, very easy!

Ring the airline ahed of time to check weights are ok, l think ours was 17kg so within the limits.

JonJon

Visit site
I've done it once with a brand new Honda (no petrol) , it actually went for free in the outsize baggage drop as watersports equipment. Think it was Jet2. A few years ago now probably tightened that one up now. Also took a folding bike once same deal.

z1ppy

Visit site
Outboard engines are classed as "dangerous goods" under iata (un3166 I think) which will need to be packed and documented in accordance with packing instruction p900 in the IATA book. Then it can go as freight if booked through a freight agent.

There are some special provisions for brand new engines but thi k you will struggle to take as hold luggage. Best to ask the airline as they will have a policy. As for endangering the safety of the aircraft, you might be surprised what is sat in the hold of your aircraft sometimes!!

ripvan1

Visit site
Mmmmm, so who's right then ? :confused:

I took an old outboard Gatwick to Faro in 2006, cleaned it out thoroughly dismantled and bubblewrapped - went in the hold, no extra charge

mocruising

Visit site
Packed a new Yamaha 10 in a suitcase first split the gear box as it was over the max/length/weight for one case. This was from Middle East to Europe. Declared it to the airline and had no problems.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I took a 3.5hp out to Greece with easyjet 4 years ago if I remember it was 25kg It was in it original cardboard packing .
Last year they would not let me take a battery hand drill without the battery in my hand luggage

bobupanddown

Visit site
I took an outboard down to Greece but to avoid any problems I dismantled it into several small pieces,
It was therefore not really classed as "an engine" but spare parts which are allowable. Anyway had no problems and just reassembled motor when on my boat in Greece.

Niander

Visit site
Drain the tank and carb and pipes and leave the tank open with cap off [refit before travel]for as long as you can before you travel to let the petrol evaporate which it does very readily of course and if its 4 stroke drain the oil..or you could get a VERY big bill!

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The book answer is that a used engine is dangerous air cargo (DAC) under IATA regs as stated above. You'd need to get it certified as gas free before shipping it: pain in the ass and expensive. However, I have a strong suspicion that if you turn up with it nicely packed into a holdall that within the size rules for your airline, it'll probably fly, as the monkies who check things in at the terminal wouldn't generally know DAC if it bit them on the bum. If you ask, you'll probably be told no, but there's a good chance you'll get away with it - have a fall back plan to cope with the thing if it is not accepted though.

zorasdomain

Visit site
Yeah I've done it myself - just be sure everything is very clean and you arrive early at the airport to clear up any questions. The best thing to do is call the airline company and get it in writing.

Good luck!