Our search for our next boat - Trawler Yacht style semi displacement

Dino

Visit site
Good shout Ferris
This would be well worth a look too Broom 36 Used Boat for Sale 1995 | TheYachtMarket
Big Volvos, big aft deck. No interior helm but the upper helm on a Broom is very cosy.
The Broom Ocean 38 is probably out of budget but a good 36 would be closer.
The Broom Crown has an internal helm with a side door but it would be hard to find a good late model with Volvo's. I have one and I love it. I never use the internal helm position and neither did the previous owners so they removed the big helm seat below.

TheCoach

Visit site
So both those Brooms look nice although the 36 starts to get above/top end of budget. One question for you, we have a dog which is part of the adventure :unsure:, looking at the 345 it looks like access is scaling a vertical ladder as the side decks look well above pontoon height. The 36 looks better as it has steps albeit steep - any experiences/thought on how accessibly they are for a 4 legged companion.?

Cheers,

TC

Last edited:

TheCoach

Visit site
@longjohnsilver that is a very nice boat - had a look at it last night:). From your sons experiences would he recommend/rave about it and any thoughts on how it would meet my (revised) use case as per below?

Whilst looking at boats in that price range I did come across a couple of flybridge models that ticked a few boxes so, a bit left field and nowhere near a trawler cruiser but bear with me here......:D

So I started looking at a Sealine F33 but quite a lot of comments around that they may struggle in more challenging conditions and as one of our cruising options might be West Coast Scotland that didn't appeal. But what that style of boat did have was a large enclosable aft deck that opened out onto a roomy salon (dare I say a bit like a Broom?). We would loose the side doors but the deck access was better than a sports cruiser and had high rails all around. Bedroom was forward but was a good size and it had a decent galley and the flybridge gives it external and internal helm for if we ever get nice weather:unsure:.

That lead me to look at the F36/7 which is out of our price range again but the older Sealine Statesman 360 (1997/8) does fit into our price range. Also the other very similar boat is an early (2001) Jeanneau Prestige 36.

Both have nice interiors, decent cabins and a nice aft deck where we can keep the dog contained without worrying about him going overboard:censored: - the Jeanneau also has a decent offset (I think) side deck.

So whad'ya think of the Sealine and Jeanneau - bit of a change from a trawler yacht but not too many compromises and a better price range?

Any views on how easy it would be to work ropes/mooring up with the narrower decks? Apologies if these sound like a bit naive questions - just until we get on a few physical examples I am going by videos, photos and the erstwhile opinions of all on here :)

Cheers,

TC

Ferris

Visit site
So both those Brooms look nice although the 26 starts to get above/top end of budget. One question for you, we have a dog which is part of the adventure :unsure:, looking at the 345 it looks like access is scaling a vertical ladder as the side decks look well above pontoon height. The 36 looks better as it has steps albeit steep - any experiences/thought on how accessibly they are for a 4 legged companion.?

AFAIK both he 345 and the 36 have the same hull, albeit slightly shortned for the 345. In fact, I think a lot of the offshore series have the same hull. Therefore the decks are the same height really. All aft cabin brooms have a high freeboard, maybe the Ocean 38 decks are slightly lower?

You're going to have to lift the dog on/off from a standard pontoon. This is where a Hardy 36 / Corvette wins.

Another option, Nimbus 370 commander - Nimbus 370 I'm not mad on them but might work for dogs/

Fredd

Visit site
So both those Brooms look nice although the 26 starts to get above/top end of budget. One question for you, we have a dog which is part of the adventure :unsure:, looking at the 345 it looks like access is scaling a vertical ladder as the side decks look well above pontoon height. The 36 looks better as it has steps albeit steep - any experiences/thought on how accessibly they are for a 4 legged companion.?

Cheers,

TC
What about one of these

Broom 35cl
Broom 35cl Unnamed - for sale

One is way over budget but the other one may be possible. 2 or 3 came up in the last year and asking prices where between 110 and 120 k so with a bit of haggling you never know .
We only went with the aft cabin if we could have steps instead of a ladder and for the dog the access is great . The dog can't use the rear steps in the saloon as they are a bit steep but it has no problem with the side door ,but it will depend on the size of the dog.

There's not many of twin engine 35's , i think only 6 were made with Yanmars , we have twin 170's . When MBM tested her new with the 170's they squeezed 19.5 knots and the low teens is a good cruising speed .
NYA had a single engined one but it's max is 9 knots
Broom 35CL Used Boat for Sale 2001 | TheYachtMarket

We got ours 2 years ago and i have to say we're extremely happy with it , the space in it for a 35 foot boat is brilliant . The helm is excellent , very sheltered and with a great view .

longjohnsilver

Visit site
@longjohnsilver that is a very nice boat - had a look at it last night:). From your sons experiences would he recommend/rave about it and any thoughts on how it would meet my (revised) use case as per below?

Any views on how easy it would be to work ropes/mooring up with the narrower decks? Apologies if these sound like a bit naive questions - just until we get on a few physical examples I am going by videos, photos and the erstwhile opinions of all on here :)

Cheers,

TC
He’s loved the boat. It was in excellent condition when he bought it, all soft furnishings and headlining had been replaced (by a forumite) not long before he bought it. He’s maintained it sparing no expense. He and his family have loved the boat, he’s been across the channel a few times and most recently with us to Isles of Scilly. It’s a great family boat with a very sociable, well laid out cabin and cockpit. The one frustration was that there is only 1 toilet without full standing headroom. And he now wants a boat with 3 cabins to accommodate his family. Otherwise it was perfect for his needs.

TheCoach

Visit site
@Ferris - yes I had clocked that Nimbus from an earlier link. I quite like the Scandi boats - the only negative to that layout is the way the helm is seperated from the saloon which makes the latter feel a bit cramped.

Otherwise I quite like it and like the deck space and twin doors, also very low hours on KAD41's that were rebuilt in 2012 has an attraction verses the KAMD42's in the Sealine and Jeanneau which from what I read may be a little more fickle......

Cheers,

TC

TheCoach

Visit site
@ffred thanks for the feedback re dog use!, the 35CL does look more useable/accesable than the 36 and it has a side door (y)

The interiors do look like some of the best and the cockpit layout creates huge room inside.

TC

Greg2

Visit site
That looks like a DIY job, Aquastars could be purchased for home completion, with varying levels of success.

How about this 1997 Broom 345 OS Power New and Used Boats for Sale -

No side door or internal helm, and a planing hullform, but it has superior accomodation (to me) to a Hardy, a higher cruising speed, will use less fuel and would still be very seaworthy. Was reengined with nice Yanmars at some stage too.

For me, at similar or less money, the brooms have nicer interiors. The Hardy has more accessible decks, an internal helm and side door. Personally I would go for a Broom for the better accomodation.

Are you comparing the Broom 345 with the Hardy 36?

We have owned two Brooms and are very familiar with the marque and we have viewed the 345 and I would say that the accommodation is similar on both. The cockpit on the 345 is very cramped and was enough to get the thumbs down from SWMBO. To be candid, it was ridiculously small, so much so that I thought it was virtually unusable but then I am not small!

Wouldn’t disagree about cruising speed (the Hardy is not a quick boat) and being seaworthy, although I suspect it will slam in a head sea, which is something that the Hardy never does. Perhaps it might have the edge on fuel consumption but looking after those Yanmars will drain the wallet - they have a pricing structure in a league of their own, whereas the Perkins in the Hardy are cheap as chips to maintain. Lots of Brooms with Perkins though.

All personal choice of course and I would never knock a Broom. Different boats though - design and layout not the same so really it depends what you want / prefer.

Greg2

Visit site
The Broom 35cl is a lovely boat and we spent a long time looking at the one on the link in Fredd’s post at NYA. It is now sold and we didn’t go for it because the single 135hp wasn't enough for us for coastal cruising. The one with twins is definitely worth considering but asking a lot, probably due to current market conditions. Way better than than the 345 IMHO.

If memory serves the first one with twins had a little too much power and it had a tendency to ride on its keel at higher speeds and quite alarming when it ’fell off’. Worth saying that the 35, like most Brooms, is still a little high from the pontoon but not as bad as some models. We are really noticing the difference with the Hardy - I am tall and can simply step from the deck onto the pontoon. SWMBO is not so she still has to use the small ‘steps on the rubbing strake but when we were mooring in a current yesterday and we needed a spring on rapidly the next thing I knew she was on the pontoon. That never happened on our Brooms -I always had to do a rapid move from the helm to the mid-ships access point to get off and sort the lines. Only one of a multitude of factors to consider of course and handling the Broom is still good with easy deck access.

The Nimbus 370 mentioned by Ferris was also a consideration - we wanted to view but the owner took it off the market to use it for another season. The Broker was very honest when we spoke to him and will explain why the engines were re-built.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply @Greg2 that really helps to back up some of our own observations. As said before its all compromises but Broom 35 looks great accomodation/concerned about deck access, Nimbus very good reputation/very low hours engines/but accomodation in saloon a bit cramped due to seperated helm.

I think I would have them both on our list for a physical visit though along with Corvette, Hardy and possibly the Jeanneau Prestige/Sealine F36 from my wild card list.

Thanks

TC

Ferris

Visit site
I defer to Greg's experience re. Broom 345, and in general. He's been on a lot more than me. My uncle has a broom 36 like the one Dino linked, that has a good aft deck, but size for size no Broom is going to have easier deck access than the Hardy as its exceptional in this regard.

I have seen some Broom 35CL's inland and they look great, nice managable size too, but is lack of speed an issue? The OP is talking about going up the west coast of Scotland! Its a long way to be flogging engines, falling off the keel at max hull speed etc. 38CL is a better bet and we know OceanFroggie takes his out on exposed passages quite comfortabley, single handed too. Similarly the Hardy.

Anyway, you can't beat a physical inspection. Best of luck to the OP

TheCoach

Visit site
Thanks @Ferris I think I would look for a twin engine 35 and discount the single engine version same as Greg did for exactly the reasons you mentioned. The single 150hp would be too limited for inshore/coastal/distance work for us in our present use case and was part of the reason we moved from looking at a full displacement trawler to a semi or planning boat (y)

Thanks

TC

Richard.C

Visit site
A practical comment from me based on our experience with a dog and our boat. We have a Fairline Phantom, regular UK flybridge motorboat. We find the bathing platform boarding and enclosed cockpit invaluable for our boating. The ease of boarding was necessary with our last dog as he was elderly not such a big problem with our new Lab as he can jump everywhere but it makes life much easier. An enclosed cockpit is important for us, it gives another outside space but it also means on wet days that we can leave our outside clothes in the cockpit and clean the dog in an enclosed area without entering the saloon. There are a number of aft cabin boats that I like but I wouldn't want to step straight into the saloon in wet clothes with a wet/dirty dog so some of those wouldn't work for us.

Anyway just some thoughts based on our last 4 years of boating with dogs.

TheCoach

Visit site
Great input thanks @Richard.C

The enclose-able aft decks on the Nimbus/Sealine/Jeanneau/Broom do give you a nice place to "put" the dog safely and also provide that "wet" space as well as access to an onboard "toileting area" :rolleyes: (you may start to sense I am not the primary dog lover in the family and am bemused that my boat choosing is being influenced by a 4 legged "friend"..... :oops:)

The Hardy/Corvette et all potentially trade this with much easier access whilst having good open decks although not covered.... ho hum :unsure:

Cheers,

TC

Greg2

Visit site
Richard makes some very good points and they were considerations for us - we we acutely aware that the Hardy had no covered outside space / cockpit and not having such a space is a first for us. Adapting is key and so far we are happy with our choice but it is just that, our choice, which might not be right for others. Every boat is a compromise!

Last edited:

TheCoach

Visit site
So does anyone have any thoughts on the Jeanneau Prestige 32/36? Appreciate the thread title may not be attracting many views from those with experience of these so may be better off raising a new thread?

Also not that many around in the UK. Did a bit of a search in the forum and a few Prestige 32 posts came up but not a lot on Prestige 36. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

TC