Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

CLB

Visit site
Yes but we after a derogation as we havnt adopted the directive that all other members have.
For a yacht its not difficult to obtain white apart from some filling stns limit diesel as though it were petrol

Yes but you are only thinking out yachties. What about the mobos?

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
And what about folks who carry a reasonable level of fuel but still sail. We generally put 700 litres in each time we top up. How would that work. Some people spout such tosh.

adamstjohn

Visit site
Must admit, we ran our little tank, 110 litres , out and now have white diesel as am fed up with bricking it every time we go across, I had to drag it to the boat on the hard at Orwell yacht club from the garage near fox,s, quite hard work but as we only use 40 or 50 litres a season, it's no drama for the peace of mind.......

MikeBz

Visit site
I would have thought precisely the opposite would be the case as we would no longer be in breach of the directive.

Are you suggesting that if we venture to European shores then we don't have to abide by their laws/directives if we are not part of Europe? Really?

maby

Visit site
I would have thought precisely the opposite would be the case as we would no longer be in breach of the directive.

American boats have been penalised for carrying red diesel. The authorities are free, and probably actually required, to enforce the law against everyone if they choose to. You try arriving in Saudi with a bottle of booze and telling them it's ok because it was legal where you bought it!

oldvarnish

Visit site
I was part of a small fleet of ten yachts which went to Ostend last weekend,and I thought I'd share the experience.

Of the ten, two were visited by customs officers and the choice seemed largely random.

They were not typical visits as a young woman was having her training day so the questioning was probably more thorough.

Questions were asked about the VAT status of the boat, although no proofs were asked for.

When it came to the issue of red diesel, the skipper was directly asked what colour diesel they were carrying. One skipper gave an evasive answer and the
officer was not happy. He launched into a speech about the importance of all countries obeying EU law. He then said that if the boat entered Belgian waters again their tank would be inspected. But he didn't take samples from either boat there and then.

It was all pretty reasonable, if tedious and drawn out.

It wouldn't be so bad if only they could bring themselves to smile a little more often.