Origio fuel from France?

JIM_TEAL

Visit site
I have the opportunity to get to France with a car soon (wine trip) and want advice on what the camping stove alchol which I believe is readily available there, is called.
Is there a brand name or a generic "alchol a bruler" label?
What type of store/ shop stocks it?
Does anyone know if there any restrictions or problems with bringing back say 5 litres into UK or RoI.
Jim J

wooslehunter

Visit site
Friend of mine brought some back for me a while ago labeled "alcol a brule" from the supermarket. Can't say it improved the smell though - just a different pong.

ronsurf

Visit site
No particular brands, though there are sometimes two types offered with different percentage of alcohol. Get bothtypes and see which one is best - it's so cheap!

Available in any supermarket in 5litre containers.

If you are coming back via Plymouth - can you get me some!!

andygc

Visit site
International fuel names

Here's a reference for fuel names in most languages. It does not include diesel oil because it is intended for people who want fuel for lamps and stoves.

http://fuel.papo-art.com/#tableoffuelnames

You need:

Alcool à brûler, Alcool dénaturé or Alcool méthylique

We are very pleased to have an Origo - boils the kettle, cooks the food, grills the toast, no gas, no risk of explosion.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
You need:

Alcool à brûler, Alcool dénaturé or Alcool méthylique

I thought the whole point of getting it in France was to avoid the Alcool méthylique (i.e. meths), which is the only stuff you can (legally) buy here and which is smelly, dirty and (deliberately!) sick making!

Yes, the Origo is a great stove, but while there's no risk of explosion there is a risk you'll blind or kill yourself by drinking the fuel. Luckily our thoughtful UK governments have saved us from this terrible fate which so afflicts our continental cousins by banning the more desirable and practical fuels.