Origin of word "SUNK" i.r.o. sea area off Harwich?

Poignard

Visit site
A lot of banks are named after ships that have been lost on them.

Dogger Bank is, I believe, named for the territory known as Doggerland, which sank below the North Sea.

Perhaps the name Sunk has something to do with that.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
. . .

Dogger Bank is, I believe, named for the territory known as Doggerland, which sank below the North Sea.

. . .

I'd always assumed it was the other way around: Doggerland being named after the bank which received its name from people probably unaware of the prehistory of the area around it.

tillergirl

Visit site
I suspect that the 'Sunk' was a relatively late naming and I think it only became relevant once shipping needed a point of reference for the East Swin. In Charles I' time shipping from the North bound for London didn't use the East Swin, opting for the Wallet and the Spitway. One early buoy was approved at Goldmer Gat to mark the entrance of the Wallet, not at the Sunk. Later, the East Swin started to be used and a light vessel to mark the East Swin was strategically positioned. Since there was already a 'Gunfleet' Light the next sand bank in turn was/is the Sunk Sand. Could that be why the Lightship was named the Sunk Light? And of course the Sunk then became a much more important 'mark' as Felixstowe developed as a port and the Black Deep latterly because a marked shipping channel.

Which, if correct, why was the Sunk Sand called the Sunk Sand. The Long Sand was probably called the Long Sand because it was long. :giggle: Did the Sunk Sand get called Sunk because it spent most of its time hidden. Note Sunken Island in West Mersea - so named because it gets totally covered by most springs. The Sunk Sand is covered by half tide or earlier. Note also the Sunken Buxey in the Outer Crouch. The Sunken Buxey is always covered.

Wagenhaer (1584) didn't find (or at least mark) the Sunk Sand. Van Kevlen (1686) did mark the Sunk Sand but didn't use the name (I can't read it) [Van Kevlen marked the SW Sunk swatchway - just ponder on that. How was it found, indeed why did he or somebody bother to identify it?]. Anyway the in 1584 the Sunk Sand was missed, it was there in 1686 and by the 1800 it was certainly called the Sunk Sand.

Well, it's a theory. :geek:

14K478

Visit site
I suspect that the 'Sunk' was a relatively late naming and I think it only became relevant once shipping needed a point of reference for the East Swin. In Charles I' time shipping from the North bound for London didn't use the East Swin, opting for the Wallet and the Spitway. One early buoy was approved at Goldmer Gat to mark the entrance of the Wallet, not at the Sunk. Later, the East Swin started to be used and a light vessel to mark the East Swin was strategically positioned. Since there was already a 'Gunfleet' Light the next sand bank in turn was/is the Sunk Sand. Could that be why the Lightship was named the Sunk Light? And of course the Sunk then became a much more important 'mark' as Felixstowe developed as a port and the Black Deep latterly because a marked shipping channel.

Which, if correct, why was the Sunk Sand called the Sunk Sand. The Long Sand was probably called the Long Sand because it was long. :giggle: Did the Sunk Sand get called Sunk because it spent most of its time hidden. Note Sunken Island in West Mersea - so named because it gets totally covered by most springs. The Sunk Sand is covered by half tide or earlier. Note also the Sunken Buxey in the Outer Crouch. The Sunken Buxey is always covered.

Wagenhaer (1584) didn't find (or at least mark) the Sunk Sand. Van Kevlen (1686) did mark the Sunk Sand but didn't use the name (I can't read it) [Van Kevlen marked the SW Sunk swatchway - just ponder on that. How was it found, indeed why did he or somebody bother to identify it?]. Anyway the in 1584 the Sunk Sand was missed, it was there in 1686 and by the 1800 it was certainly called the Sunk Sand.

Well, it's a theory. :geek:
And that’s the post we were hoping for!

Thank you!

Aquaboy

Visit site
I assume we had lower sea levels so many more banks became visible at low water in the past, and thats how the swatchway was found.

johnalison

Visit site
I assume we had lower sea levels so many more banks became visible at low water in the past, and thats how the swatchway was found.
That can’t be true because everywhere I go there is invariably far less water than indicated on the chart/plotter or whatever ad hoc means of navigation I am using at the time.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I'd always assumed it was the other way around: Doggerland being named after the bank which received its name from people probably unaware of the prehistory of the area around it.
That's correct. It's named for its use by "doggers", a type of Dutch fishing vessel that exploited the shallow water of the bank for fishing.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
That's correct. It's named for its use by "doggers", a type of Dutch fishing vessel that exploited the shallow water of the bank for fishing.

It amused me to playfully imagine that type of fishing vessel might in turn have been named after the Dogger Bank, in a circular reference fashion. It amused me even more to find out that is (sort of) the case! :D

'The dogger (Dutch pronunciation: [dɔɣər]) was a form of fishing boat, described as early as the fourteenth century, that commonly operated in the North Sea. Early examples were single-masted: by the seventeenth century, two-masted doggers were common. They were largely used for fishing for cod by rod and line. Dutch boats were common in the North Sea, and the word dogger was given to the rich fishing grounds where they often fished, which became known as the Dogger Bank. The sea area in turn gave its name to the later design of boat that commonly fished that area, and so became associated with this specific design rather than the generic Dutch trawlers.'
Dogger (boat) - Wikipedia

thalassa

www.wv-saeftinghe.nl
The Wikipedia page is not entirely accurate. It was roughly a group (not a specific type) of similar fishing vessels, with fishing tackle adapted to fish for codfish in that area. Codfish is now called 'kabeljauw' in Dutch, but in the 16th-17th century it was 'dogge', or 'doggevis'.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
The Wikipedia page is not entirely accurate. It was roughly a group (not a specific type) of similar fishing vessels, with fishing tackle adapted to fish for codfish in that area. Codfish is now called 'kabeljauw' in Dutch, but in the 16th-17th century it was 'dogge', or 'doggevis'.

Are you going to edit it then?

jnonauta

Visit site
As a footnote to tillergirl's excellent post of 5th November, the Sunk Sand is marked and named on 'A New and Accurate Chart of the Mouth of the Thames ..... improved by James Grosvenor pilot and John Bean master of the Buoy Yacht.' London, Robert Sayer 1786 which is reproduced opposite the title page of H.Muir Evans, A Short History of the Thames Estuary (1936). Evans does not suggest an origin for the name.