Orca attack

Gsailor

Visit site
He followed protocols and stopped his boat and lowered sails. They then destroyed his rudder. Who sets these protocols. The Orca fan club?
Preface:
I have not followed this thread, but my opinion is that a skipper is in charge of the safety of his crew and boat - perhaps boat and then crew - since without a boat the crew would be in a life raft (if they had it)

Sod protocol when it comes down to those around you.

If I had the chance to sail the waters where these whales are behaving oddly and they started to chew my rudder, I would be dropping flares, food, turning radios and engine on - probably other things that I cannot think of, but supporting crew would suggest.

Sorry, I love animals, but this pod needs to be sorted out ... like last year... stuff ‘em... and mount one above the fire place.

Wansworth

Visit site
Interesting thought I had ..Homo sápidas have got we’re they are today by natural selection,becoming the top dog by keeping the other animals down so sapiens can prosper which is why we have internet and ev cars ete etc whereas other species err dont.Is being nice to orcasgoing against our natural nee……or should we build steel rudders….

doug748

Visit site
Does anyone know if discharging oil has been tried? Maybe a mixture of heavy oil and paraffin? A little goes a long way and these animals regularly break the surface?

Zing

Visit site
Preface:
I have not followed this thread, but my opinion is that a skipper is in charge of the safety of his crew and boat - perhaps boat and then crew - since without a boat the crew would be in a life raft (if they had it)

Sod protocol when it comes down to those around you.

If I had the chance to sail the waters where these whales are behaving oddly and they started to chew my rudder, I would be dropping flares, food, turning radios and engine on - probably other things that I cannot think of, but supporting crew would suggest.

Sorry, I love animals, but this pod needs to be sorted out ... like last year... stuff ‘em... and mount one above the fire place.
The main purpose of animals is to be food. Somehow we have got very confused about what’s important, and not just on this subject BTW.

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
in the summer there was an article in the Guardian about an orca attack on a yacht sailing from Shetland to Norway Orca rams into yacht off Shetland in first such incident in northern waters . The only time I have heard of it outside the area of the pod off Portugal that is responsible for the attacks. And worrying if other pods are learning the same behaviour. Anyone heard anything more about attacks out of the commonly reported area?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
in the summer there was an article in the Guardian about an orca attack on a yacht sailing from Shetland to Norway Orca rams into yacht off Shetland in first such incident in northern waters . The only time I have heard of it outside the area of the pod off Portugal that is responsible for the attacks. And worrying if other pods are learning the same behaviour. Anyone heard anything more about attacks out of the commonly reported area?

It's been happening with multiple pods for some time from the Med to Brittany.

greeny

Visit site
Does anyone know if discharging oil has been tried? Maybe a mixture of heavy oil and paraffin? A little goes a long way and these animals regularly break the surface?
Yes, rumour has it that local fishermen have used this method in the past and have had some success with it. I believe they have old 5 litre water bottles containing diesel with a few small holes in that they can tow behind them if the orcas get too close. The down side is that that it would be considered pollution and the authorities may take action if you are caught I would think. At the moment, firecrackers seem to be the most successful method and the crew of the boat that recently got caught using them were subsequently arrested in Spain, only to be released without charge so demonstrating that the authorities are maybe not likely to take action in the future.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I read some where that Orcas are not totally the top of the food chain. There was a video of Orcas hassling a much larger (100 ft ??) Sperm whale. A couple of whacks from its tail sorted them out. Plus, it seems that the noise from Sperm whales tends to warn Orcas away. Perhaps playing those sounds under water, when Orcas approach, would be a sensible option & would not harm the Orcas.
However, what the signals meant to another Sperm whale might be important. If it turned out it was a mating call & 2 dirty great bull Sperms turned up expecting something to mate with ------------------ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 😁

Supine Being

Visit site
I read some where that Orcas are not totally the top of the food chain. There was a video of Orcas hassling a much larger (100 ft ??) Sperm whale. A couple of whacks from its tail sorted them out. Plus, it seems that the noise from Sperm whales tends to warn Orcas away. Perhaps playing those sounds under water, when Orcas approach, would be a sensible option & would not harm the Orcas.
However, what the signals meant to another Sperm whale might be important. If it turned out it was a mating call & 2 dirty great bull Sperms turned up expecting something to mate with ------------------ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 😁
It's an interesting thought, but I suspect that you would need to play those sounds with thumping bass and serious wattage to emulate a sperm whale in any meaningful way. And even then, it might be a little counter-productive...

Sperm Whales Are So Loud They Could Potentially "Vibrate" You to Death

Daydream believer

Visit site
Is it still recommended to drop sails and motor in reverse?
Another suggestion is NOT to run the engine.
However, there are vids of attacks where the boats have stopped the engines. So that does not disprove your theory.
I did see a rudder design ( electric I think)where the prop was mounted in the tail end of the rudder blade. I believe that it was to assist steering. Perhaps that might deter them if an egg whisk suddenly chopped all their teeth out when they went to bite the rudder