Orca attack

Daydream believer

Visit site
according to two environmental impact statements released by the military Friday."
"Off the East Coast, there could be 11,267 serious injuries and 1.89 million minor injuries like temporary hearing loss. "
11,267??
But if one of them was the same whale twice, could that be down graded to 11,266 serious injuries? ;)
I bet some professor somewhere got paid $100.000+ PA to come up with that figure. :rolleyes:
Just think it would only take 1 pod of whales to bugger off over to Portugal & go rudder nibbling for the summer & the poor blokes figures would be blown:(

Last edited:

KevinV

Visit site
U.S. Navy training and testing could inadvertently kill hundreds of whales and dolphins and injure thousands
I really hate this kind of sloppy writing - no it couldn't kill or injure them inadvertently, because they have assessed that the risk exists.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Navy training, testing may kill whales, dolphins
"U.S. Navy training and testing could inadvertently kill hundreds of whales and dolphins and injure thousands over the next five years, mostly as a result of detonating explosives underwater, according to two environmental impact statements released by the military Friday."
"Off the East Coast, there could be 11,267 serious injuries and 1.89 million minor injuries like temporary hearing loss. "

That sounds dreadfull, they are obviously doing this stuff in an area far too populated with whales, I think we should suggest that they move these trials to a less whale populated marine area like say, just off the coast of Portugal

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
  • Who pays for it? Spain & Portugal are skint. One never to happen option would be tax every sailing boat heading south to pay for all the research. Cruising boats add next to nothing to local coffers compared to a Ryanair flight.
Spain and Portugal do spend money to protect orca's though, so there is a budget.

The animals are at risk because people will defend themselves so doing nothing also endangers the animals.

Martin_J

Visit site
And another interaction at lunchtime today about ten miles off Cascais, which puts them a lot further south than earlier ones this month.

Potential port rudder damage and boat and crew made it safely back to port.

Last edited:

phanakapan

Visit site
And another interaction at lunchtime today about ten miles off Cascais, which puts them a lot further south than earlier ones this month.

Potential port rudder damage and boat and crew made it safely back to port.
The latest ones have been a bit further south actually, around Sines /Setubal. Whatever, they’re far too near me (I’m now in Oeiras, 5nm from Cascais) and we’re giving up and hauling out for the winter. We’ve been making our way down the Iberian coast by doing strictly fair weather, day time only hops very near the coast. We should be alright in the event of an interaction (steel skeg hung rudder on a steel boat) but we just don’t want to risk it. We’re now running out of Schengen time, Tangier is full, the days are getting shorter, the lobster pots more prolific, the port closures due to swell increasing, the weather worse…. UK for Xmas it is then!

balder

Visit site
Hello, recently back in Med from Canarias to do our 2022 refit more easily, I already miss "my" sunny and friendly islands, so I plan to motor back asap with certainly a passage later to Capo Verde and further if life let me do considering the last horribilis years. But as you say, Phanakapan, december is december, so I will be back at home in France for Christmas ( if this word still means something in my miserable country....) . I let my trawler in Spain and will prepare the journey for march april.
I have also a steel hull with a suspended steel rudder on a skeg but our stabilizers fins are on starboard and port side in composite material like polypropylene.I wonder if these bloody orcas would distroy these sort of small rudders ( more or less 1,5m X 1 m ) because they are fitted and articulated with a stainless steel shaft...the fins are installed kn each side of the hull , at equal distance from bow and stern.
As well, do forumites have positive reports about pingers, do they work, did they prove their efficiency when used if somebody has been obliged to activate these devices in the water while underway?

tkalfaoglu

Visit site
But who will pay for a team/vessels to do that? And pay for the technology & find the animals again to fit another every 6 months? Cruising sailors add next to nothing to local coffers compared to a ryanair flight.

If they spend $$$ researching pimples on whales (they probably do), they can surely spend a few $K to create a such system, IMHO.