OpenCPN and Navionics on Laptop

beneteau_305_553

Visit site
Is anyone running navioncs Gold charts via the navionics card reader into their laptop and what software are they using?
I'm running old CM93 charts on OpenCPN but want to have some up to date charts. I also run AIS from a nasa engine . I find OpenCPN great so would like to stick with that if possible.

Last edited:

DipperToo

Visit site
I recently purchased PCPlotter software which runs with the Navionics charts (using the blue Navionics reader).

Brilliant functionality includes tidal planning and optimisation. I understand they are working on an update to allow tidal gates at a destination to be setup as part of the planning.

AIS, NMEA etc all provided for although I have only hooked up NMEA so far as I have a C80 with Radar/AIS on-board.

You can save routes/waypoints in formats suitable for different chart plotters as well. I have yet to try exporting these to a CF card to import on my main system.

Downside? If you power off the notebook then on restart you need a dongle to activate the software and reload the navionics chart you want to use. If you put a notebook into hibernate then certainly the Sony Vaio preserves the data, but some may still require re-authentication.

bromleybysea

Visit site
I use PCPlotter ( I wanted to use Navionics charts which I already had) and have recently installed OpenCPN with what purport to be up to date (ish) charts. PCPlotter has good functionality and I am pleased with it though I think it is expensive for what it is. One omission is the ability to keep the boat in the centre of the display- personally I find this really annoying and would probably have been a deal-breaker had I known about it before purchase. OpenCPN does have this option. OpenCPN is great for a freebee.

Sy-Revolution

Visit site
If only some clever bod could get openCPN and the cm93s to run on a Raymarine c120!
Now ya talkin'! I noticed last year that my cm93 was more up-to-date than the Navionics cartride that I'd bought less than a year before. The entrance to Figuera de Foz has had it's north mole extended. In fact is was still being completed when we arrived, at dusk. The cm93 had it bang on, whereas the navionics gold would have had us parked up on the rocks......

Good job I have eyes!

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
If only some clever bod could get openCPN and the cm93s to run on a Raymarine c120!
Now ya talkin'! I noticed last year that my cm93 was more up-to-date than the Navionics cartride that I'd bought less than a year before. The entrance to Figuera de Foz has had it's north mole extended. In fact is was still being completed when we arrived, at dusk. The cm93 had it bang on, whereas the navionics gold would have had us parked up on the rocks......

Good job I have eyes!

I've got mine running on Raymarine software, you just to map where to find the charts. I now have the option of using either the Navionics or the new open CPN charts.

RobbieW

Visit site
CM93 ed2

Just be aware that the generally known source of CM93 Ed2 charts that work with OpenCPN will not always deliver charts at all levels of detail for each iteration. One example I have found is that the 2009 series are missing the detail for Las Palmas, Gran Canaria whereas the 2008 & 2010 series have that detail.

You gets what you pays for ( and sometimes not even that! )

seapro

Visit site
I use seaPro with the Navionics card reader. Don't know about other software but its useful being able to use the Navionics charts on a laptop and chart plotter simultaneously. Also means only one set of charts is required for laptop & chart plotter..