One For The Buffs

hlb

RIP
Visit site
We have a barge well Debs has as some will undoubtably be aware. It's designed for the continental canals. It's 49 ft, 10ft 6 beam and weighs 18 tons. What does the esteemed pannel think the engine size should be. It's not sea going. Cat D.

So whats it's hull speed, what will it's 65hp speed be, and what if anythig would give design speed. Dont give me sums, I gave all them to the accountants years ago!!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I'd have thort about 65 hp would be ideal. Should do about 9kts max, cruise at about 7. Bet the other ditch crawlers will love you doing those speeds!!

ccscott49

Visit site
Not a lot of water in the canals he goes on anyway!! You can stand up in the middle wiv yer ead above water, even I can!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Grrrrrrr!! Can some one just answer the bloody question /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif All the newbies get straight answers, why not me. Kicking bucket!

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
Don't care, sold the house yesterday.
More importantly, how long would it take to stop ( without the aid of a bridge).
/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DazedConfused

Visit site
Haydn,

6 knots max but is ample engine for any river cruising which it will be used for. Got my info from a close friend at Sea Otter and sounded very confident when talking about it.

Good luck selling it.

David

Nauti Fox

Ducatiproteam.co.uk
If you did reach your theoretical ramming speed of 9 knots you could probably turn off and plough yourself a new canal....... Perhaps the Haydn & Debs Black Pudding Memorial Canal.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Well, my bit of tin is 60ft x 6'10" BUT weighs in excess of 18tons so my crane driver told me and has a 56Hp Beta 2203 engine. I put a bigger engine in it than recommended 'cos I hoped to go Continental sometime, and anyway wanted to punch the Thames Tideway and the Trent.

It gives plenty of power when the non-tidal Thames is in flood. Although it's not the same dimensions as Debs, its weight is the similar, so from a purely empirical standpoint 65Hp is OTT especially if it is to be used on non-tidal waters.

You really need to say where it will be used to get a really meaningful response. It also helps to say whose 65Hp it is not all horses are equal....

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well I dont know where it will be used. It's up for sale. Think Debs has fallen for Mucky F. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well, thing is, folk keep ringing for details and alot think it's underpowered. Though it's got bigger than the 50hp recomended by builder.

Mind, there are some idiots out there that think they are going to go across channel and coastal with her. Course I dont diswade them!!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Is it a planing barge?

The hull speed is 1.34 x sq root of the waterline length. So assuming the waterline length is 45ft then the max hull speed is almost exactly 9 knots unless of course its a planing barge in which case it will go a lot faster /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Its more difficult to calculate whether 65hp is enough to achieve 9 knots but I guess it is providing its propped right