Old mindsets die hard

Violetta

Visit site
Last weekend as I was scrubbing the decks (Treadmaster - great stuff - laid by my own fair hands some 25 years ago and still as good as new - but nothing looks worse than mucky Treadmaster) a male passer-by stopped, smiled and remarked "good to see the crew doing all the hard work".

Male = skipper
Female = crew

S'obvious, innit?

Hmmmmm..........

Anyone need a good Treadmaster consultant? I'm the best there is.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Can\'t discuss that

Dear Heart is a better helm than me - in dinghies and on Claymore.
I'm a better crew as I can pull sheets and grind winches harder and possibly can think quicker tactically when racing dinghies.
She has taste when it comes to matters aesthetic - I have taste too but few seem to share it!
We jointly own the boat but the expenses are met from my funds - because I want the boat more than a house in France.
I do the shitty jobs - because I'm told to
Dear Heart does the varnishing/paint jobs because I'm kack-handed with a brush.
Equality and mindset is a funny old business.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Magic_Sailor

Visit site

Not so much mindset as the vast majority of cases that we experience caused the comment. Even our dear Libby admits to being quite happy in the supporting, crew role despite her experience. However, I understand Violetta is probably a bit miffed - a simple "well actually" would probably suffice.

I do the shitty jobs as well. Also, I do whatever I'm told in case SWMBO brings out her big guns.

If we have to keep taking into account all the politically correct possibilites we'll go bonkers.

I heard a good one this moring on the radio. Jack Straw in a statemet to the HoC said that "SH's henchpeople...were being tracked down" etc. So, we no longer have henchmen we have henchpeople!

And this despite the fact that they are all bloody men!

GGGrrrrrr

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

claymore

Visit site

Introductory pontoon and quayside comments are often a bit naff aren't they - I'd far rather people did speak even if they said something a bit silly as it almost always leads to a decent conversation which to me is an important part of the cruising game.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

daveking

Visit site
so how much of the jetty did he scrub? after you shoved the sharpe end of your brush where the sun dosn't shine (smiling sweetly, muttering "can't get the staff these days")

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

On our previous boat (28ft) Karen would usually bring her alongside whilst I did lines & fenders. This worked very well, but she hasn't overcome her intimidation yet with our 37ft boat and so far hasn't brought her alongside for fear of bashing her. This is somewhat ironical as that's exactly what I've been doing! Glad to say I've now got a grip of myself and the boat - it was mostly down to not being organised enough with lines etc which you can get away with on a smaller boat.

Next time out we're going to concentrate on pontoon bashing and hopefully she'll then resume her position in control of the boat when coming alongside.

Likewise with expenses - they come out of my wallet as I also wanted the boat more than a house in France! I do most of the boat jobs including cleaning as Karen takes care of the house and works some weekends so doesn't get so much use of boat.

The best sailing is always when there's just the 2 of us and we work well as a team, though K defers to my greater experience for now. It's often been her decision when or where to sail (she's good at met) and as she learns more I'm sure she'll take up more of the leadership with my blessing.

And I'd rather T bone the boat than shout at her!

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site

We have a system on our boat that works for us. I bring the boat alongside then jump over & sort out the lines. When its all sorted out Dawn emerges from the cabin looking fresh & checks that our position suits her. I know my place!

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

madman

N/A
Visit site

We've got quite a good system which involves appearing as much out of control as we actually are. It is quite surprising how soon willing hands sprint to help with ropes and fenders etc.. By the way, when you're hit by another boat do the same insurance rules apply as for cars? The reason I ask is that I ran into the back of some one in Island Harbour Lock He was driving through and suddenly stopped for no apparent reason as it was freeflow?

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: errrr

and who gave you permission to leave the galley? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Gunfleet

Visit site

We're from the same school, Mart. I found out years ago it was better to let the Skipper sit in the companionway supervising things while I berth the boat like a single hander. Then all I've got to shout at is myself!

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site

In motor racing such "brake testing" is frowned upon, and the guilty party (ie the one in front) is dealt with severely. "brake testing" normally follows an earlier incident which has annoyed the "braketester". Knowing your struggle with the fact that water moves sideways as well as up and down, are you sure that you did not sideswipe him in the Cowes entrance cross tide?? It might explain his otherwise inexplicable actions.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site

Nice one and so true.

We seem to operate a Naval System aboard i.e I'm skipper and run the boat under the watchful eye of the Admiral and if she's not a happy bunny she lets me know and I sort it in true RN style.
The only set back is, I rarely have any other crew like 1st mate, bos'n, chief engineer, cook and bottle washer or AB's.
So I'm all of these rolled into one and provided I do all these jobs correctly the Admiral continues to smile on me, occasionally, VERY occasionally she will grant me certain favours after lights out<s>

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
never thought he might be making a teasing / semi humorous comment.

mind you, the female sense of humour is notoriously weak!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Violetta

Visit site
I don\'t know, Cap\'n

Seeing male hackles rise when I drop this little pebble in the pond is always good for a laugh. Proves the point, too. ;-)

<hr width=100% size=1>