Old dogs on boats

Bouba

Visit site
Our dog loved passerelles....especially his own, which his dad installed just for him....but also any passerelle....it was hard to stop him going on other people’s boats....

This gave him the freedom to come and go as he pleased...whether it was to chase seagulls on the pontoon, greet other dogs...or just sleep across the pontoon so every person had to walk around or over him.
He was so blaze that he was often too causal....I always told him that if he changed his mind go to the end and turn around...not mid way....he rarely listened and once we had to fish him out of the water 🥺😳

Bouba

Visit site
Unfortunately the above is all in the past tense…he’s getting old…unsteady on his feet and his eyesight has deteriorated…he does suicidal runs over the passerelle or even just refuses…no matter how much physical help we provide…we’ve had old dogs on boats before…it changes everything…modifications, harnesses, heavy lifting and modifying how you use your boat….so this is a work in progress

That is non skid tape…the internet said dogs see yellow and blue best.
The stairs are from a previous dog to get in and out of a car. My next step is to make the steps yellow.

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
Oh, you’re talking about four legged old dogs!! 🤣🤣🤣
Yep. I must admit I feel like an old dog some days. Just got back to the boat and really struggled to lift the bikes back onboard. might have to invest in one of these:

Attachments

• bruno-out-rider-scooter-lift-1200x525-2.jpg
    bruno-out-rider-scooter-lift-1200x525-2.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 14

vas

Visit site
yep pics are fine...
we find daughter's dog a 5.5kg little thing is starting occasionally struggling coming up the 6steps from the cabins to the salon area :-( and she's only 8yo

Moonstruck

Visit site
We have a sixteen year old spaniel that has always loved the boat. This year has been different though. She’s completely deaf and now has restricted vision. She is fine in the shade or on a cloudy day but sunshine on white boats clearly hurts her eyes. She’s very hard work now but still happy and if we don’t go for walkies she just will not leave us alone!

Gustywinds

Visit site
Find a proper Marina where you can walk off.
Different one every night ( or every few nights). At the moment we are bow in with a rather bouncy walkway down the starboard side which isn’t long enough to get directly off the back. The E-bike is stowed at the back, the pedal one normally on port front rail but temporarily stbd at the moment.

Seastoke

Visit site
Different one every night ( or every few nights). At the moment we are bow in with a rather bouncy walkway down the starboard side which isn’t long enough to get directly off the back. The E-bike is stowed at the back, the pedal one normally on port front rail but temporarily stbd at the moment.
Sorry it was meant for Boobs.

Bouba

Visit site
Bouba, how old is the real Bouba - not you!
The dog is only 12.......he’s a bit more frisky now that summer has finished (dogs don’t like the heat...it saps their strength).....I was hoping he would make it to fifteen before he started to fall apart....

DAKA

Visit site
The dog is only 12.......he’s a bit more frisky now that summer has finished (dogs don’t like the heat...it saps their strength).....I was hoping he would make it to fifteen before he started to fall apart....
Could you inflate an old dinghy ( possibly inverted) and leave it at the stern with your transom door open

Bajansailor

Visit site
Unfortunately the above is all in the past tense…he’s getting old…unsteady on his feet and his eyesight has deteriorated…he does suicidal runs over the passerelle or even just refuses…no matter how much physical help we provide…we’ve had old dogs on boats before…it changes everything…modifications, harnesses, heavy lifting and modifying how you use your boat….so this is a work in progress

These folding steps are very neat - where did you get them from (and do they have a brand name that I can look up?)?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Our dog loved passerelles....especially his own, which his dad installed just for him....but also any passerelle....it was hard to stop him going on other people’s boats....

This gave him the freedom to come and go as he pleased...whether it was to chase seagulls on the pontoon, greet other dogs...or just sleep across the pontoon so every person had to walk around or over him.
He was so blaze that he was often too causal....I always told him that if he changed his mind go to the end and turn around...not mid way....he rarely listened and once we had to fish him out of the water 🥺😳
It's tough when pets get old. We had to have one put to sleep last week. They says it's the final act of kindness but doesn't always feel like it at the time.

I hope your dog has a few more good years left in him.

Bouba

Visit site
These folding steps are very neat - where did you get them from (and do they have a brand name that I can look up?)?
I don’t remember we have had them many years....when I go back to the boat (this weekend fingers crossed) I will see if there is a label